Avid mechanical road disc brakes

Old August 8th 03, 04:11 PM
Eric

Default Avid mechanical road disc brakes

I just got the Cannondale cross bike with these brakes. A couple of
questions. Are the stock pads good enough to keep until they wear out? I
only have an hour on the bike and am wondering what the average range of
break in time is needed for the brakes to work their best. Can anyone
coomment on their performance when broken in?

Old August 9th 03, 02:31 PM
Andrew Webster

"Eric" wrote in message . net...
I just got the Cannondale cross bike with these brakes. A couple of
questions. Are the stock pads good enough to keep until they wear out? I
only have an hour on the bike and am wondering what the average range of
break in time is needed for the brakes to work their best. Can anyone
coomment on their performance when broken in?

Didn't notice much "break-in" time on mine. I followed the
manufacturers advice of dragging the brake slightly for a mile or so
on first fitting - after that I didn't notice much change in
performance.

Peformance of the original pad seems good - life expectancy not so.

Replacement (EBC Green) pads have lasted twice as long (and are still
going) with no perceptible performance reduction.

Andrew Webster
Old August 11th 03, 11:55 AM
Andrew Webster

(Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in message ...
(Andrew Webster) wrote:

snip
Replacement (EBC Green) pads have
lasted twice as long (and are still going)
with no perceptible performance
reduction.

Andrew Webster

Tell me more about these EBC pads. I'm considering Avid mech's on my
Reaper.

cut

There's not a lot to say really. Except that they are cheaper in the
US (what isn't?). Work well, good life expectancy (using green
compound), all round better than the originals.

http://www.universalcycles.com/x_bdacc.htm ($12.99)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_d...dID=5300005663
(£12.99)

EBC don't give much away at
http://www.ebcbrakesuk.com/Assets/MTBfitments.pdf

They don't come with the funny shaped spring retainer clip, so you
need to save that (I bought a new one, but refitted the old one
anyway).

Apparently the pad design for Avid mechanicals changed around 2001 -
so it is worth specifying that you want pads for the "new" design
brakes, just in case there is a problem (Kool Stop specify different
pads for pre and post-2001, don't think EBC specify - but the ones I
got are certainly compatible with the new design).

Hope this helps

Andrew Webster