Advice wanted - where in Hawaii

Old April 28th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

Default Advice wanted - where in Hawaii

I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.
Besides, it's our anniversary.

What island or islands are best for bike riding?
Old April 28th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.

Oh come on, we only had 9 to 10 feet of snow this winter. You can
likely find cold wind and snow at the highest elevations of the Big
Island, however.

Besides, it's our anniversary.

What island or islands are best for bike riding?

My information is a couple of decades old, but Maui was nice place to
ride. Not too much traffic, and one can ride on the flats, mountains,
rain forest and semi-desert all in one day.

If you start at the beach and ride to the highest point, you can do 72
miles with 10,000 feet of climbing and 10,000 feet of descending.

Old April 28th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Apr 27, 9:42*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Oh come on, we only had 9 to 10 feet of snow this winter.

10 1/2 feet in Germantown, I believe.
Old April 28th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:32:06 -0700 (PDT) in rec.bicycles.misc,
Ron Wallenfang wrote:

What island or islands are best for bike riding?

If you're into hill climbs, the climb up and into Haleakala
crater on Maui is quite spectacular. I haven't done it but
friends have. The ride down is one where it helps to have disc
brakes, though...

I didn't ride on Oahu in the 18 hours I was there in transit to
NZ, but from the bus ride I took to the windward side I think
Oahu is horribly crowded with a lot of traffic, and wouldn't be
particularly enjoyable.

I understand some parts of the Big Island are great cycling.
Dunno about trying to get up to high altitude on Mauna Loa,
though --- the air gets pretty thin.

Old April 28th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Ron Wallenfang writes:
I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.
Besides, it's our anniversary.

What island or islands are best for bike riding?

Ooh! Ooh! I've never been to Hawaii, but if I went
I'd simply /have/ to visit the Mauna Kea astronomical
observatories. If it's possible to get up there by
bike it would add so much value to the experience.
For the nerd that I can be, it'd be a sort of pilgrimage.
Oh man, now you've got me thinkin' ...

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 28th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Ron Wallenfang" wrote in message
| I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
| up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
| the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.
| Besides, it's our anniversary.
|
| What island or islands are best for bike riding?

Do you like small hills?

www.ChainReaction.com/haleakala.htm

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 28th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

What island or islands are best for bike riding?

I didn't ride on Oahu in the 18 hours I was there in transit to
NZ, but from the bus ride I took to the windward side I think
Oahu is horribly crowded with a lot of traffic, and wouldn't be
particularly enjoyable.

I spent a week there a few years ago, and just *driving* wasn't
enjoyable, due to the traffic on the Kamehameha and Kalanianaole
highways that provide most of the loop around the island. I'd
suggest looking at one of the other islands as well.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old April 28th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Hoyle

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:20:19, Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Ron Wallenfang writes:
I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.
Besides, it's our anniversary.

What island or islands are best for bike riding?

Ooh! Ooh! I've never been to Hawaii, but if I went
I'd simply /have/ to visit the Mauna Kea astronomical
observatories. If it's possible to get up there by
bike it would add so much value to the experience.
For the nerd that I can be, it'd be a sort of pilgrimage.
Oh man, now you've got me thinkin' ...

On Mauna Kea, the road from the visitor's center (~9000') to the
summit (~14000') is not paved. Though altitude sickness is rare,

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/visiting.htm

Stargazing on Mauna Kea was the highlight of our trip out there last
year. The visitor's center has a nightly stargazing program including
some 12" or slightly larger telescopes that are there all the time.

There are also some generous volunteers who bring their own huge
telescopes, including one who claimed that his scope was "better than
the University of Hawaii's scope at the summit." A glance though that
particular viewfinder easily showed deep sky objects, but instead of
looking at a print or a video screen, the multi-million-year-old
photons were actually hitting our retnas directly. Amazing.

For cycling though, I think Maui (up Haleakela or back down it) might
be a better destination.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old April 28th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_9_]

I've now bike in all of the 48 contiguous states and need only to pick
up Alaska and Hawaii. I'm considering Hawaii in February, partly in
the hope the weather there may possibly be better than in Milwaukee.
Besides, it's our anniversary.

One of my friends was stationed there and she told me it rains a LOT during
the winter months. If there is some way to check this out, I'd suggest you
look into it.

Pat in TX

Old April 28th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-04-28, Ron Wallenfang wrote:
Besides, it's our anniversary.

How many years, if I may ask?

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Accident Advice Wanted (Please!) John Latter UK 23 November 30th 07 11:31 AM
Advice wanted: biking on I-80 Ron Wallenfang Rides 11 May 15th 07 08:51 PM
Advice wanted. GironaCycling Racing 3 June 9th 06 03:11 PM
Advice wanted TiNcAn Unicycling 7 January 18th 05 01:46 AM
Advice on Holland wanted. Ro General 1 June 11th 04 08:00 PM