Performance Bike paid memberships: don't do it

Old May 4th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default Performance Bike paid memberships: don't do it

It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
ticket item.

I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.
Old May 4th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_15_]

Ablang wrote:
:: It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
:: purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
:: ticket item.
::
:: I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
:: points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
:: currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.

when you get the Performance Bike membership you also get a free year of
Bicycling Magazine.

Pat in TX

Old May 5th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Pat wrote:
Ablang wrote:
:: It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
:: purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
:: ticket item.
::
:: I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
:: points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
:: currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.

when you get the Performance Bike membership you also get a free year of
Bicycling Magazine.

And if you call up to cancel that subscription, they'll send you a check
for around $7. I didn't expect that refund, I just canceled because I
hate that magazine.
Old May 5th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I hate Buycycling, too. I would never read it anymore. It has reduced
itself to nothing but 'way overpriced items and yuppie drivel
Old May 6th 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
slide[_2_]

Ablang wrote:
It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
ticket item.

I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.

I'm really angry at Performance for being suckered into this 'club'. In
my case, I ended up with a credit of over $200. I broke my back which
put me off of two wheels for a year due to surgery, recovery, etc. When
I was ready to get back on two wheels again, I went to Performance store
to get some supplies and I learned my money had evaporated for me not
using it within a year.

I explained about the broken back, but they said it made no difference.

I will NEVER buy anything from Performance again. Never.
Old May 7th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 4, 8:00*am, Ablang wrote:
*It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
ticket item.

I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.

You must have bought and returned an awful lot of stuff after having
spent the points from the original purchase. Are we talking thousands
of dollars in returns?

I still don't understand why you think this is unfair? I do this all
the time (buy stuff knowing I'll return a lot of it - usually fitting
issues), but I guess I've always known that the points aren't mine
until all those transactions are completed and therefore don't spend
the points if I know they'll be backed out later after returns are
made.

By the way, I'm a big fan of the club and renew it every year. Not
only does it give you 10% rebate (through points), for me the big
kicker is the free upgraded shipping which is extremely valuable where
I live. The magazine? no big deal. I marginally enjoy it, but now
that I know a refund might be possible, I'll probably cancel it.
Old May 7th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 6, 10:34*am, slide wrote:
Ablang wrote:
*It isn't worth it to pay an annual fee to get points for all your
purchases unless you are planning to buy a bike or some other big
ticket item.

I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to garner negative
points for returning purchases (even w/ a receipt). My account
currently has -600+ points. Useless to me now.

I'm really angry at Performance for being suckered into this 'club'. In
my case, I ended up with a credit of over $200. I broke my back which
put me off of two wheels for a year due to surgery, recovery, etc. When
I was ready to get back on two wheels again, I went to Performance store
to get some supplies and I learned my money had evaporated for me not
using it within a year.

I explained about the broken back, but they said it made no difference.

I will NEVER buy anything from Performance again. Never.

It's hardly their fault or unfair. You should have just spent the
points within a year - that's no secret. you don't need to be riding
to spend money, or you could have asked your friends to help you.
Old May 7th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On May 7, 11:42*am, wrote:
On May 6, 10:34*am, slide wrote:

Ablang wrote:
[...]

When YOU broke YOUR back, what was YOUR priority?

Exactly.
Old May 7th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 7, 10:20*am, Neil Brooks wrote:
On May 7, 11:42*am, wrote:

On May 6, 10:34*am, slide wrote:

Ablang wrote:
[...]

Exactly.- Hide quoted text -

that has nothing to do with it. I sincerely don't think the injury had
anything to do with it. Not being able to ride a bike does not = not
being able to shop and spend money.

Since you somehow think I have anything to do with this, I will say
that it's most likely that during recovery, I might have actually
spent time looking at stuff to buy in catalogues or online for my next
project, doubly likely if I knew I had $200 in points waiting to
expire. If they guy didn't know the points were going to expire, or
didn't think of it, that's his own fault, not a direct and inevitable
result of his injury.

You might be assuming the guy was totally incapacitated. He might
have been (he doesn't say), but the term "broken back" doesn't
necessarily mean incapacitated or immobilized. If he was indeed
totally incapacitated, it's obviously a different story, and he might
have indeed been unable to spend the points. But still it's not
Performance's fault his points expired. It's just his misfortune.
**** happens and I can't see any reason to blame Performance for the
**** that happened to "slide".
Old May 8th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On May 7, 11:42*am, wrote:

On May 6, 10:34*am, slide wrote:

Ablang wrote:
[...]

Let me know how all that works out for you ... if you're ever dealing
with a medical crisis.

Thanks.