I'm 6'4 235 tall

Old October 28th 04, 03:05 PM
Claire Petersky

Default I'm 6'4 235 tall

"Bryan Florida" wrote in message
I need an inexpensive bike for the road..just for exercise. Maybe a
speed bike but I have long legs and need a bigger bike. What brands do
you suggest? The 18 sped I have now is too small for my size.

Hey Bryan, I took the liberty to cross-post your message to
rec.bicycles.misc, which is probably a more fitting newsgroup, and also has
a higher readership than rec.bicycles.rides.

First off, you need to tell us: what do you mean by "inexpensive"? Some
people here would define "inexpensive" as ~$100, others as ~$1000.

I'll leave the "go to your LBS" instructions to someone else.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 28th 04, 11:36 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:05:38 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

"Bryan Florida" wrote in message
I need an inexpensive bike for the road..just for exercise. Maybe a
speed bike but I have long legs and need a bigger bike. What brands do
you suggest? The 18 sped I have now is too small for my size.

Hey Bryan, I took the liberty to cross-post your message to
rec.bicycles.misc, which is probably a more fitting newsgroup, and also has
a higher readership than rec.bicycles.rides.

First off, you need to tell us: what do you mean by "inexpensive"? Some
people here would define "inexpensive" as ~$100, others as ~$1000.

I'll leave the "go to your LBS" instructions to someone else.

I'm 6'7" tall and 255 lbs. I ride a Giant Cypress Hybrid. It has
adjustable handle bars and a seat post shock absorber. It has a 23"
frame, with 700c -40 street tires. My bike cost me $300 at a Local
Bike Shop.

I started riding with a Huffy mountain bike from K-Mart which was
really too small and it was the largest they had.
Old October 29th 04, 04:17 AM
Bill Baka

wrote:

[...]

Um, yeah, getting a bike big enough could be trouble. I have a friend who
is 6'10" and looks malnourished at 300 pounds. He also has a problem with
getting bikes to fit and not looking silly on one. Of course he manages
to make a Harley look small, so he rides motors, not pedals. Another
friend is about 300 pounds and only about 5'11" and rides Cannondales
exclusively. He says they never break under his weight, but then he is
not a terribly agressive rider. FWIW, anything over $200 is expensive
to me whether I have the cash or not. That is the break point where I
start to think of computer/car/whatever upgrades. Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?
Bill Baka

Old October 29th 04, 05:53 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Bill Baka" wrote in message news
Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.

No, six feet tall is not a cyclist build.

Old October 29th 04, 05:34 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:45:53 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

..jpgs, please?

-B
I'm just under 5'10", and 235. That would make an interesting comparison
side-by-side, eh? ;-D

Old October 29th 04, 10:09 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

.jpgs, please?

-B
I'm just under 5'10", and 235. That would make an interesting comparison
side-by-side, eh? ;-D

http://crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm

Guess which one is me. The other guys are actually normal size (one's even
6'3").

Old October 29th 04, 10:43 PM

Peter Cole writes:

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs. Kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist
build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

.jpgs, please?

-B
I'm just under 5'10", and 235. That would make an interesting
comparison side-by-side, eh? ;-D

http://crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm

Guess which one is me. The other guys are actually normal size
(one's even 6'3").

Nice photo and good snow effect

Jobst Brandt

Old October 30th 04, 01:00 AM
Claire Petersky

wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

.jpgs, please?

Guess which one is me. The other guys are actually normal size (one's even
6'3").

I sure wouldn't call you chubby by any means.

Old October 30th 04, 11:35 AM
Peter Cole

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
link.net...

wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

.jpgs, please?

Guess which one is me. The other guys are actually normal size (one's

even
6'3").

I sure wouldn't call you chubby by any means.

Perhaps not "chubby", but my BMI is 25, which puts me at the upper edge of
the "recommended" weight. Before I started riding regularly several years
ago, I had gained some weight, and was definitely well over ideal weight.
I'm now 20 lb lighter, as well as more muscled, and my weight has been
stable without much effort. Thanks to cycling, I wear the same pants size
as I did in high school.

Old October 30th 04, 12:51 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:35:03 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
hlink.net...

wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote

Isn't 6'7" and 255 lbs.
kind of on the skinny side? Cyclist build maybe?

No way, I'm 6'10"/235, and nobody ever called me skinny...

.jpgs, please?

Guess which one is me. The other guys are actually normal size (one's

even
6'3").

I sure wouldn't call you chubby by any means.

Perhaps not "chubby", but my BMI is 25, which puts me at the upper edge of
the "recommended" weight. Before I started riding regularly several years
ago, I had gained some weight, and was definitely well over ideal weight.
I'm now 20 lb lighter, as well as more muscled, and my weight has been
stable without much effort. Thanks to cycling, I wear the same pants size
as I did in high school.

Yeah, but I'm wondering how you got that strange...uh, do you know your
left leg is about twice as long as your right leg, looking at the picture?

http://crw.org/gallery/dec03crw.jpg

Yep, one leg normal, other leg at least a foot longer. ;-D

-B