How hard is it to install a cartridge BB?

Old July 19th 05, 12:49 AM

Default How hard is it to install a cartridge BB?

JBAFromNY wrote:
I have an 1990-ish Specialized road bike with a loose-bearing BB and a
Sakae triple crank. The BB seems to be worn out -- I get excessive
play which doesn't completely go away even when I tighten the
adjustable cup to the point of binding. Then, after a few miles of
riding it loosens up again.

I could just replace the spindle and repack, but I'm thinking a modern
cartridge bearing might be an improvement

1. Might it indeed by an improvement?
2. Frame is a Specialized Sirrus road bike (this one is a traditional,
lugged steel road frame, not like the current production model of the
same name).
3. The crank is original to the bike -- a 1990-ish square tapered Sakae
triple (52-40-30). Is there a current production BB that will fit?

If it is similar to my old (1988) Sakae crank, it takes a 3N spindle,
IIRC. This is an asymmetric spindle and Barnett's lists the correct
UN52/53/72/73 bottom bracket as one with a 122.5mm spindle.

4. If not, I'm willing to replace the crankset. Moderately priced
suggestions welcome.

5. DIY or go to the shop?
a)I have a pair of old style loose bearing BB wrenches, and I have
re-packed loose bearing BB's many times, but I've never tried removing
a fixed cup. Am I correct in assuming that I have to do this in order
to install a cartridge BB?

Yes.

b) If yes, how difficult is this? (I regard, say, front hub re-packing
as pretty easy, wheel truing as tricky, and wheel building as beyond
me, to give you a sense of my wrenching skills)

Not tricky, but depending on how tight is in the shell it may take some
prodding.

c)I've looked at the Park Tool page on cartridge BB installation, and
it looks pretty tricky. Opinions? It also appears to require special
tools. Correct?

Not all that tricky, but you do a need special tool for the Shimano
UN52,53,72,73 series.

d) A LBS says they can sell me a BB and install it for me for $60
total. I'm leaning toward this, but if enough of you tell me "nah,
piece of cake" I might take it on myself. Any thoughts?

BB price will be $20-40 (less for the UN52, more for the UN73), so it
depends on how much you think your time is worth.

- rick

Old July 20th 05, 09:06 PM
JBAFromNY

I wrote:
[Snip]
5. DIY or go to the shop?

I wimped out and went to the LBS. They did it same day (and besides,
the wife was making ugly noises at the prospect of a bike repair
project in the kitchen). So far, so good -- a very noticeable
difference in the smoothness of the drivetrain on the ride home from
the shop. Thanks to all for your advice. Maybe next time I'll follow
it ;-)

Hard Tail vs. Full Suspension Rainier Mountain Biking 29 April 29th 05 02:57 AM
Bottom Bracket Rebuild vs Cartridge Larry Techniques 6 April 27th 05 02:36 PM
Bottom Bracket Rebuild vs Cartridge Larry Techniques 1 April 27th 05 02:13 PM
Fitting cartridge BBs Paul Davis UK 11 August 22nd 04 05:32 PM
Removing Cartridge Bearings rogerwinn Techniques 3 March 1st 04 03:10 PM