Another Mountain Biker Dies while Mountain Biking

Old June 23rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Another Mountain Biker Dies while Mountain Biking

So much for the ALLEGED "health benefits" of mountain biking.

Mike

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....1b91b9aa.html

Biker's death shocks those close to him

12:01 PM MDT on Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Nick was passionate about the outdoors BOISE -- An outdoor enthusiast
who spent his time helping others is remembered fondly by family and
friends.

Nick Raganit was one of the state's best-known mountain bikers.

His death last weekend was unexpected. And those who knew him, or of
him, are paying tribute to a man they say was a friend to everyone.

NewsChannel 7 talked with Nick's brothers and friends about his
untimely death.

They spoke highly of Nick's kind and adventurous spirit.

Even though he is gone, Nick will be remembered as someone who left
his mark on this community

“He was only 34 years old. It was just amazing that this could happen
to someone so young. He had a lot ahead of him,” said Larry Raganit,
Nick’s brother.

Nick spent much of his life dedicated to teaching people to appreciate
the great outdoors.

“He got a lot of pleasure out of introducing folks to outdoors
activities,” said Tom Chelstrom, REI store manager.

That's why his death came as such a surprise to those who knew him.

“I knew something bad had happened, but I didn't know what it was
until he mentioned that Nick had died that afternoon, and then it just
sunk in,” said Frank Raganit, Nick’s brother.

Nick was riding in the 10th annual Cycle Idaho event Saturday when
something went terribly wrong.

According to the Boise County Sheriff’s Office, another cyclist
stumbled upon Nick's body and found he wasn't breathing.

First responders were called. They performed CPR, but Nick died on
the scene.

The cause was a heart attack, something very unexpected for a man who
was at peak physical condition.

“He'd done previous bike rides. He started out young doing bike rides.
He backpacked, he hiked,” said Frank.

One of Nick's passions was helping out. He helped shape the Web site
for the Southwest Idaho Mountain Biking Association and was a major
contributor to the Web site Idaho Outdoors.

“He wanted to make sure they had everything they were supposed to have
without getting hurt,” said Larry.

Nick worked part time at REI where he became a friend to customers.

“People will best remember him as the face of REI and the person who
greeted him at our garage sale,” said Tom Chelstrom.

Even though his life was cut short, friends and family say he died
doing something he truly loved.

“He was always full of surprises. ‘Yeah, I did this last week or I did
this, I hiked back in the backcountry,’ said Frank.

“He was excited. Everyday was an adventure,” said Larry.

Nick's brothers Larry and Frank mentioned they would like to thank the
paramedics who tried to help keep him alive.

Nick's funeral is planned for Friday at the Valley of the Lady
Catholic Church in Caldwell.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 23rd 07, 06:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

Default Didn't take long for the troll to pounce

Not his fault.
Sociopaths can't relate to others.

Old June 23rd 07, 07:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
â–€Slack

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:19:08 -0700, JP wrote:

Not his fault.
Sociopaths can't relate to others.

Yep, here's is his profile: http://www.hss.caltech.edu/~mcafee/Bin/sb.html

Note some of the characteristics at the bottom of the list, which is why I
suggest he
is probably a child molester, too, regardless of whether he's actually
ever done
the physical act.
--
Slack
Old June 23rd 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

So much for the ALLEGED "health benefits" of mountain biking.

Mike

----------
I think the only people who talk of health benefits of cycling are health
professionals who never ride a bike themselves. The carnage is huge, the
accidents I have witnessed personally sometimes give me nightmares at night.
I've seen 4 cyclists get hit by cars with my very own eyes. The terror can
even be funny at times. One time a rider overshot a sag that many of us
were sitting around at, so what does he do? He makes an abrupt left turn
without looking behind him, and an SUV hits him POW. I thought he was dead
for sure, but the SUV merely took off his front wheel, never touched him,
but he sustained some injuries from finding himself riding a bike with no
front wheel. Came upon a dead cyclist who had crossed a cattle guard in
pack, so he couldn't see the slot in it, and had his head pile driven into
the pavement when his front wheel dropped in the slot and the bike rotated
around. I saw another cattle guard incident, same scenario, and the guy now
sits in a wheelchair. You can't fool me, their ain't any health benefits
that I can see.

Old June 24th 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
news
So much for the ALLEGED "health benefits" of mountain biking.

Mike

----------
I think the only people who talk of health benefits of cycling are health
professionals who never ride a bike themselves. The carnage is huge,

Please don't feed the troll.

The guy that the article was talking about suffered a massive heart attack,
he was not plowed over by an errant SUV.

Old June 25th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
OzCableguy

"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
news
I think the only people who talk of health benefits of cycling are health
professionals who never ride a bike themselves. The carnage is huge, the
accidents I have witnessed personally sometimes give me nightmares at
night.

Yes, driving a car is so much safer. No one is ever killed or maimed in car
accidents and no one ever got fat & out of shape and ended up dying from
heart attack or stroke or diabetes related illness from driving a car when
there were alternatives. And no one ever got sick from the pollution spewed
out by cars either. I'm selling my bike today!

Old June 25th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Callistus Valerius

Yes, driving a car is so much safer. No one is ever killed or maimed in

car
accidents and no one ever got fat & out of shape and ended up dying from
heart attack or stroke or diabetes related illness from driving a car when
there were alternatives. And no one ever got sick from the pollution

spewed
out by cars either. I'm selling my bike today!

------------
I could write a book with all the accidents and mayhem with bicycles that I
have witnessed personally. Car accidents, I've seen a few too. But that
isn't my point, my point is if you are riding thinking that it's a life
extender, you may be making an error. And I'm talking from a road bike
perspective. I ride because it's fun, and I get a high from it, but if my
goal was to live to be 100 years old, I would park the bike today for good.
In fact I thank my lucky stars I'm still around now, with all the close
calls and attempted homicides I have survived up to this date. This
includes one time when I was shot at by drug smugglers, backpacking under a
bridge I had unfortunately stopped at to eat a cliff bar. I had to lay flat
on the shoulder, and by luck a border patrol unit responded to the shots,
and arrived at the bridge and I finally had the courage to get up and
continue my ride. The border patrol told me that it wasn't wise to ride on
that road, but I do anyway. On that very road I see hundreds of illegals
crossing it, it is an invasion, no doubt.

Old June 25th 07, 05:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
â–€Slack

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:43:20 -0700, Callistus Valerius
wrote:

it's fun, and I get a high from it...
In fact I thank my lucky stars I'm still around now, with all the close
calls and attempted homicides I have survived up to this date. This
includes one time when I was shot at by drug smugglers...

Maybe you should start paying your bills on time.
--
Slack
Old June 25th 07, 04:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 20:58:11 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

[...]

Same here. I witnessed several accidents, including broken arms &
legs, at the NORBA races last Sunday. They (the "ski resort") has also
had someone die & someone turned into a quadriplegic. And this is the
sport that's going to save our kids from being couch potatoes? And
turn them into simply potatoes? What are they thinking???

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 25th 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

wrote:
[...]

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande- Hide quoted text -

COME ON FOLKS, THIS GUY IS USED TO REPAETING HIMSELF OVER AND OVER AND
OVER. " DONT FEED MINDLESS TROLL" I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY OUTDOOR THREAD
POSSIBLE SINCE 1980'S AND THIS GUY JUST LIKES TO RANT AND RAVE... LET
HIM BITCH, HE PROBABLY FORGOT HIS PROZAC THAT DAY OR FORGOT TO PUT AIR
IN HIS BLOW UP DOLL AGAIN.... THE DAY HES IS GONE FROM THIS EARTH I
WILL DRINK A HEALTHY PINT OF GUINESS AND **** ON HIS GRAVE AND RIDE MY
MOUNTAIN BIKE, DIRT BIKE, GO CART, OFF ROAD 4X4, VIBRAM SOLE BOOTS, &
SNOW SHOES OVER IT...WHILE I LAUGH!!!...

MIKE VANDEMEN YOUR MY HERO!.... FOR SHOWING THE WORLD YOU A MORON!!!!
CAN COME OUT....