share-the-road license plates

Old April 24th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default share-the-road license plates

For years, Colorado had led the USA in milking license plates for all
they're worth, with 66 varieties:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n19327591/

How bad is the license plate racket here? The article notes that the
Sons of Confederate Veterans has an application pending for a Colorado
license plate.

(I note with pride that the article shows _zero_ University of
Southern Colorado plates were purchased after all the efforts by
Pueblo legislators to create the plate.)

Today I saw my first share-the-road pro-bicycle license plate:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...e=preview#road

I was curious enough to look it up.

In addition to the $50 government fee, you must "donate" $25 more to
this group to get the Colorado share-the-road pro-bicycle license
plate:
http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=764

Hmmm . . . That's $75 for a share-the-road license plate.

For only $5, I can buy a share-the-road bumper sticker that's much
larger and easier to read:
http://www.cafepress.com/irregulargoods.15067323

Interestingly, this ethnic group has official Colorado license plates:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...review#italian

But you don't have to "donate" anything to the Corleone family to get
the Italian-American license plates--you just pay the $50 state fee.

Heck, even someone named Fogel can buy Italian-American license plates
from the state of Colorado.

I wonder if Sergio can get Colorado license plates in Pisa?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 24th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...1542141645?ren...

[...]

I've got the equivalent Washington plate:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...gn.html#sports

It's $30 more than a regular plate, and $29 of that goes to the
Bicycle Alliance of Washington, IIRC.
Old April 24th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:51:30 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Florida doesn't have ethnic plates, but I think we've got you beat in every
other category. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

Of course we've got "Share the Road" and for a darn sight cheaper, only $15 over
the regular fee. There's the "Choose Life" tag that has incited some
controversy. Nobody argues over the "Stop Child Abuse" or "Save the Manatee." We
do love us some manatee down here. Got every major school and professional
sports team in the state. We even have a John Lennon song for some reason.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtyt...s/imagine.html

Ron

Old April 24th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

A Sicilian girlfriend once was stopped on her birthday in a
car her father gave her. It had several plates in the trunk
but none of them, nor the displayed plate, matched the car...

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 24th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:10:56 -0400, RonSonic
wrote:

[...]

Dear Ron,

Yikes! Your Florida license plate list looks much longer than
Colorado's.

Your share-the-road plate looks much better (or at least has a bigger
bicycle) and seems to be about $60 cheaper, too.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old April 24th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Gads, ours is so boring! http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehic...enonprof.shtml
At least it is relatively cheap. -- Jay Beattie.

Dear Jay,

At least your Oregon share-the-road plate has big side view of a
bicyclist.

It takes a second look to spot the bicyclist on the Colorado plate.
You can read the Colorado license plate before you can make out the
bicyclist stuck in the middle of the letters and numbers.

And ten bucks for two years makes the Oregon share-the-road plate
about as cheap as a $5 bumper sticker.

Greedy Colorado wants a one-time total of $75.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 24th 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 24, 5:26*am, AMuzi wrote:

A Sicilian girlfriend once was stopped on her birthday in a
car her father gave her. It had several plates in the trunk
but none of them, nor the displayed plate, matched the car...

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's how I got off over 3000 parking tickets and didn't go to jail
for being a scofflaw. I had a plate that read something rude, but I
kept forgetting where I parked my car, and the dealer kept a spare in
my colour, sunflower yellow, so my sidekick would just order the next
one for delivery on Friday evening and, since the accountants feared I
would throw them out onto Madison from the eight-floor window in the
boardroom I had labelled "Post CPAs here", in one particularly
pressured year I lost nine cars without them tattling on me. Can't
remember how many altogether I lost over the years I worked on and off
in NY. At business school I knew a guy from an Italian family (mama
and sisters thought I spoke the most mellifluous Italian -- I thought
they cooked divinely -- a mutual admiration made in heaven) which had
quite a few of its associates incarcerated and punching out plates at
any one time, and he gave me multiple copies of my one plate for my
birthday every year. So, when we got to court, the cops couldn't
explain how they had ticketed the same car at the same time at
different place not once but dozens of times. "Kafkaesque," I said
when asked, shaking my head in bafflement, adding, "I go to work by
chauffered Mercedes and my weekend Porsche is in my girlfriend's
garage in Long Island, all alone, nothing to breed with." The judge
choked on my joke, threw the case out, reprimanded the police severely
for being incompetents, and apologized to me for the interference in
my business of having to turn up in court on a false charge. "Not at
all. We like to demonstrate that businessmen too are good citizens."

I love American justice: very fair to the deserving. I was just
brassed off that I wasn't the biggest scofflaw; there was a guy with
11,000 tickets, that's eleven thousand. Awesome. He didn't get off.
Bummer.

Andre Jute
Always worth knowing a Sicilian or two

Old April 24th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

wrote:
[...]

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Gads, ours is so boring! http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehic...enonprof.shtml
At least it is relatively cheap. -- Jay Beattie.

Ohio has 'em:
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration/share_the_road.htm
I've got a pair on my car. They cost an extra $15, but the money goes
to publish the "Ohio Bicycling Street Smarts: Riding Confidently,
Legally, and Safely" booklet.

Greg
Old April 24th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 23, 10:01*pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Apr 23, 8:51*pm, wrote:

[...]

That means you'll probably get -$4.00 of actual value out of it. You'd
get more accomplished riding up on someone at a Starbucks kiosk
window, thank them for sharing the road with cyclists even though many
are really arrogant jerks, and paying for their coffee. Now *that*
will make a lasting impression. Twice already this year I've been
complemented for not running a stoplight whereas a rider/s ahead of me
did. Cyclists flaunt traffic law, and don't think drivers don't see it
and remember it.

don't share the road [email protected] Techniques 7 June 1st 08 08:07 PM
OT is it road tax or license? Rob Horton UK 71 March 2nd 07 12:38 AM
"Share the road" signs -- who are we telling to share the road? Matt O'Toole General 22 December 27th 05 04:59 PM
OT-ish: Road Fund License davek UK 228 November 17th 05 09:04 PM
Share The Road Ray Heindl General 2 July 16th 03 03:57 AM