[OT] engineer comments please

Old May 14th 21, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default [OT] engineer comments please

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a significant fracture in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 14th 21, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Cheers
Old May 14th 21, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a significant fracture in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

And even more difficulty - transporting the thing :-) A 900 ft.
trailer "

But the photo shows a very large plate apparently bolted (I can see
hex heads) to the left of the break which is likely a doubler over the
splice between two sections of the beam.

Just another example of writers who know not of what they write :-)

But then Jack Higgins, as well as several other authors, refers to the
"Slider" on the top of a Walther PPK :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 14th 21, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/13/2021 7:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Cheers

Yup, but CNN and I think others referred to this break repeatedly as a
"crack." What's the engineering equivalent of illiteracy and innumeracy?

Mark J.

Old May 14th 21, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/13/2021 9:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Cheers

Good observation.
Still and all how does one make a 900-ft steel object? Even
ship keels are many pieces.

Old May 14th 21, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 14.05.2021 um 14:31 schrieb AMuzi:
On 5/13/2021 9:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks
like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Good observation.
Still and all how does one make a 900-ft steel object? Even ship keels
are many pieces.

Here, it might be necessary to dive deep into the engineering
terminology: Does a "beam" in bridge building necessarily have the
proberty of being one continuous piece of metal, or is the bridge
builder's "beam" only restricted to the meaning 'carries the forces of
the road in a certain way', in contrast to a "frame"?

As I never took any Engieering courses, I don't know the answer to this one.

Old May 14th 21, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi scribed:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ridge-memphis-

arkansas-tennessee-20210513-wgkbsv7onzhw7l3ag2bob673da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of two 900-foot
horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

Caveat as I can not seem the images, but yes, you can 'construct' a
'beam' to what ever length you can manage.

Bridges are commonly constructed with supports made from sections of
"box beams" which are constructed from other lengths of 'steel'. Heck,
they even make them out of concrete these days.

Old May 14th 21, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Fri, 14 May 2021 07:31:01 -0500, AMuzi scribed:

[...]

Basically the same method, except these days they can build those in
parts and ship them to the final assembly ship yard. Hint, there are some
ewe tube stuff showing 'cut and insert' jobs to lengthen cruise ship.

Something sort of related; to ships.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Old May 14th 21, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:09:37 +0700, John B. scribed:

On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ridge-memphis-

arkansas-tennessee-20210513-wgkbsv7onzhw7l3ag2bob673da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of two 900-foot
horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

And even more difficulty - transporting the thing :-) A 900 ft. trailer

Easy if it came by sea.
Otherwise, you just join short sections.
"

But the photo shows a very large plate apparently bolted (I can see hex
heads) to the left of the break which is likely a doubler over the
splice between two sections of the beam.

Just another example of writers who know not of what they write :-)

But then Jack Higgins, as well as several other authors, refers to the
"Slider" on the top of a Walther PPK :-)

Oh, we just love playing spot the howler in movies.

Old May 14th 21, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:09:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

And even more difficulty - transporting the thing :-) A 900 ft.
trailer "

But the photo shows a very large plate apparently bolted (I can see
hex heads) to the left of the break which is likely a doubler over the
splice between two sections of the beam.

Just another example of writers who know not of what they write :-)

But then Jack Higgins, as well as several other authors, refers to the
"Slider" on the top of a Walther PPK :-)

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.