Ground Clearance

Old April 8th 11, 05:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bosco

Default Ground Clearance

I am considering buying a Recumbent Trike, but I am cofused about the
clearance. Most Trikes show a clearance of two inches on up.

When I look at most of them which seem to have a clearance of three or
four inches it is not apparent where exactly they are measuring from?
Terratrike Zoomer for example has a clearance of three inches, but the
lowest point to the ground is the chain at the back wheel from looking
at the pictures?

Catrike has a 5.5 inch clearance, but on the Catrike webpage, its chain
appears to be as low as any other make or model (generally speaking) so
I am not sure where the measurements are taken from.

Second question, if it is the chain at the back wheel, is there a
reasonable fix to raise the chain height?

No dealers close by to go in and ask, so thanks in advance for replies.

Old April 8th 11, 05:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/7/2011 11:34 PM, bosco wrote:
I am considering buying a Recumbent Trike, but I am cofused about the
clearance. Most Trikes show a clearance of two inches on up.

When I look at most of them which seem to have a clearance of three or
four inches it is not apparent where exactly they are measuring from?
Terratrike Zoomer for example has a clearance of three inches, but the
lowest point to the ground is the chain at the back wheel from looking
at the pictures?

Catrike has a 5.5 inch clearance, but on the Catrike webpage, its chain
appears to be as low as any other make or model (generally speaking) so
I am not sure where the measurements are taken from.

The most important clearance height is at the midpoint between the front
and rear wheels, as you do not want to "ground out" when dropping a
wheel in a pothole.

Second question, if it is the chain at the back wheel, is there a
reasonable fix to raise the chain height?

Use of an internally geared hub, or a close ratio cassette with a short
cage derailer.

No dealers close by to go in and ask, so thanks in advance for replies.

Does anyone thank in retreat?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

as i got up from the ground..//..'it happens so fast'.. wle Techniques 9 March 18th 05 09:24 PM
Ground Hugger XR2 Emil Recumbent Biking 9 January 5th 05 05:43 PM
Stolen Under Ground John Racing 0 November 17th 04 07:37 AM
Stolen Under Ground John Racing 0 November 17th 04 07:37 AM
Spinning on the ground imnotaclown Unicycling 1 August 14th 04 09:49 AM