Ok, what is with clipless or clips?

Old November 4th 04, 01:49 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Clipless pedals have invisible clips.

Has Look discovered a way to bend light to make their stuff invisible? I *must*
have a pair *immediately!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $

Old November 4th 04, 02:00 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Anyway, what is clip vs clipless?

You say you use "normal old flat pedals". On some such pedals, you can get a
little metal or plastic "cage" or "cup" effect that is at the front of the
pedal. You place your toe in this, with the ball of your foot on the platform
pedal. This is a pedal with a toe*clip* Some toeclips have a strap which you
can tighten to secure your foot to the pedal.

Clipless pedals have a system where on the sole of the shoe you wear to cycle
is a cleat. The cleat clips into the pedal so your foot is securely held
without the need for a toeclip. Similar to the way a skiboot clips into the
binding on a ski.

As clipless pedals don't have a *toeclip* to keep you foot on the pedal, but a
*cleat* on the sole of the shoe, then this is why they are called clipless
pedals. But yes, you do clip in and clip out of your clipless pedals ;-)

There are various systems of clipless pedals available... Loook, spd, Time,
Wellgo, Eggbeaters... all variation on a theme and it's individual choice as to
which system you find best for you.

I changed to clipless from normal pedals because I was given a pair of Look
shoes (with cleats) for free. So I went out and got a set of Look pedals -
basic ones, not the ultra expensive type. They took a bit of getting used to -
I did the standard forgetting to unclip before the bike stopped, which resulted
in me finding the one positive of having a fat rear end - padding in a fall ;-)
Clipping in and out qucikly became second nature and I would not willingly go
back to "normal" pedals. Clipless are simply better at allowing you to pedal
efficiently. As you effectively pull on the upstroke of the pedal action, the
need to push on the downstroke is reduced - so better pedalling for less
effort. Certainly my knees noticed the difference.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 4th 04, 02:05 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote

Think about it, though. You get an inexpensive pedal and an inexpensive
shoe and it might work for you, but for most newbies, I say get solid
middle-of-the-line shoes, be prepared to pay 50-80 bucks. You -do- get

what
you pay for. You'll presumably be using these for 20-30 days per month

and
you want something that's durable, functional and comfortable. You go

cheap
on the shoe and I'd wonder if you'd not regret that. You also want them

look cool. Again, spending a lot of time in them.

On the pedals, don't get the very bottom of the line, go up one and get

the
SPD M520. Solid performers and something that you're gonna be depending

on
quite heavily.

Wellgo is a brand of Taiwanese pedals that is re-labeled by several brands
(Performance, Nashbar, Ritchey). Wellgo pedals are generally very good, and
half the price of Shimano equivalent. Wellgo "SPD-style" pedals come with a
variety of cleats. Some are interchangeable with Shimano, some not. I've
found that the pedals with the "98A" cleat usually are (both ways). I have
a few sets of "bottom-of-the-line" Shimano (515). I think I paid $32 last
year. They're fine, and considering they come with cleats (most pedals do),
which cost $20 separately, they were quite the deal. Perfectly good Wellgo
pedals are often sold as low as $20.

Road use is simple compared to off-road, anything that works well for MTB
is fine for the road, spending a little more for MTB pedals might be a good
idea, since the application is much more demanding.

Old November 4th 04, 02:24 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:05:39 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

"Badger_South" wrote

Think about it, though. You get an inexpensive pedal and an inexpensive
shoe and it might work for you, but for most newbies, I say get solid
middle-of-the-line shoes, be prepared to pay 50-80 bucks. You -do- get
what you pay for. You'll presumably be using these for 20-30 days per month
you want something that's durable, functional and comfortable. You go
cheap on the shoe and I'd wonder if you'd not regret that. You also want them
to look cool. Again, spending a lot of time in them.

On the pedals, don't get the very bottom of the line, go up one and get the
SPD M520. Solid performers and something that you're gonna be depending
to quite heavily.

Wellgo is a brand of Taiwanese pedals that is re-labeled by several brands
(Performance, Nashbar, Ritchey). Wellgo pedals are generally very good, and
half the price of Shimano equivalent. Wellgo "SPD-style" pedals come with a
variety of cleats. Some are interchangeable with Shimano, some not. I've
found that the pedals with the "98A" cleat usually are (both ways). I have
a few sets of "bottom-of-the-line" Shimano (515). I think I paid $32 last
year. They're fine, and considering they come with cleats (most pedals do),
which cost $20 separately, they were quite the deal. Perfectly good Wellgo
pedals are often sold as low as $20.

Road use is simple compared to off-road, anything that works well for MTB
is fine for the road, spending a little more for MTB pedals might be a good
idea, since the application is much more demanding.

Good to know, and if you're experienced at this, it's silly -not- to shop
for deals. (note I said 'for most newbies').

Just wanted the noobs to realize it's not that difficult to go to clipless,
find a shoe, and be happy, and that going 'inexpensive' had pitfalls. If
you're an experienced cyclist and you're taking your noob buddy in to get
shoes, and help with the selection, then sure, try some rebranded stuff.

I'm quite surprised, but shouldn't be, that I'm having absolutely zero
problems, no knee pain, nothing. Granted I've not taken this system on a
very long ride, and that may be when problems show up. I'm planning on
getting in a modest 30 miles or more this weekend on the flats to see how
things go, and then move up the distance.

But I'm loving them on the foothills! I'm getting so much power, I'm almost
skipping the back wheel when sprinting uphill and quickly accelerating.

-B

Old November 4th 04, 03:37 PM
dgk

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:43:00 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

wrote in message
PK what? writes:

I'm reminded of that joke every time the subject of clipping into
clipless pedals crops up!

I don't know what crowd you mix with but around here we step into the
pedals and engage the cleat.

You've got to admit, it is daft terminology! The only pedals with
clips are clipless while clipped pedals have straps and no
clips...

I think you've got your terms confused. Toe clips support the strap
and prevent the pedal from rolling forward when pedaling standing.
You would have noticed that when a clip breaks as they often did and
your foot rolls off the front of the pedal still strapped in... clip
dangling and tinkling on the pavement as it hangs from the strap.

Today, plastic clips last a bit longer but are still a pain.

Jobst Brandt

I know all that Jobst, but the terminology only makes sense if you know the
history. Show someone who has seen neither a clipless pedal and one with
cage and straps and ask which is clipless! When a newbie arrives on here
and says "Which foot should i put in the clip first?" - someone always asks
if they are talking about toe straps (clipped) or pedals the shoe clips into
(clipless).

I was just remarking that it is very much like tring to explain cricket to
someone who has never seen the game.

EG
From an online advice site: The shoe cleats required for clipless pedals
are basically shaped pieces of metal [Snip].......Basically, the best way
to begin is to clip one foot (the foot you normally begin with) into its
pedal....

pk

I've seen cricket and still don't get it. Runs or wickets? Which one
is important? No, don't answer. I really don't want to go there. I'm
still trying to understand clips.
Old November 4th 04, 03:45 PM
dgk

On 04 Nov 2004 13:00:14 GMT, omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

[...]

Ok, I've seen guys get of those "clipless" pedals and they clunk
around in those shoes. So if I go this route then I have to walk
around in these things until I can get to my office and change back to
sneakers (my normal cycling gear)?
Old November 4th 04, 04:18 PM
the black rose

dgk wrote:
Ok, I've seen guys get of those "clipless" pedals and they clunk
around in those shoes. So if I go this route then I have to walk
around in these things until I can get to my office and change back to
sneakers (my normal cycling gear)?

There are different kinds of clipless -- SPDs have flat
cleats that don't interfere with your ability to walk. Look
into those if you're serious about clipless and put off by
clunky road cleats.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old November 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Peter Cole

"Badger_South" wrote

Just wanted the noobs to realize it's not that difficult to go to

clipless,
find a shoe, and be happy, and that going 'inexpensive' had pitfalls.

But that's my point, I don't think it does have "pitfalls". Spend more if
you want, but the cheap stuff works fine, particularly for entry-level road
use.

I'm quite surprised, but shouldn't be, that I'm having absolutely zero
problems, no knee pain, nothing. Granted I've not taken this system on a
very long ride, and that may be when problems show up.

Knee problems do only show up after significant mileage. My experience has
been that setting toe-in angle of the cleat is necessary, float isn't.

But I'm loving them on the foothills! I'm getting so much power, I'm

almost
skipping the back wheel when sprinting uphill and quickly accelerating.

You're getting more force. Any pedal that keeps your foot attached allows
you to pull up, achieving more force. Consider for a moment, if you haven't
already, what happens if that pedal should release when you're pulling up
hard. Pulling up is not necessary or desirable outside of racing. It's a
*really* bad idea when you're a clipless newb.

Toe clips! hell-on-wheel Unicycling 18 May 22nd 04 11:45 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 11:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM