Shipping to the UK...need info...

Old July 3rd 03, 08:23 PM
Crystal

Default Shipping to the UK...need info...

Hi all... I hope there are some "English" folks here...

I need to ship a bike to the UK and was wondering what is the percentage of
"taxes or duties" that must be paid by the buyer? Searching the website of
the World Customs Organization and it really isn't very helpful... Any tips
would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Crystal

Old July 3rd 03, 10:02 PM
Gareth Beale

In article ,
you write:
| Hi all... I hope there are some "English" folks here...
|
| I need to ship a bike to the UK and was wondering what is the percentage of
| "taxes or duties" that must be paid by the buyer? Searching the website of
| the World Customs Organization and it really isn't very helpful... Any tips
| would be greatly appreciated...
|
| Thanks
| Crystal

Crystal,

I am a British type. You need to look for "HM customs and excise" (the HM stands for
Her Majesty's). I saved you the trouble, here's a link to the subject of buying
stuff from overseas on the internet:

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/public/shopping/shopping.htm

It's written from the buyer's point of view, but you can probably get an idea of
the amount involved. You will be filling out a Customs declaration when you send it,
and this will probably be the basis for the duty paid. I doubt if there will be a
bike expert on hand to dispute any figure you put:-), though you are probably insuring
the item too, so maybe that figure is visible too.

The top level (http://www.hmce.gov.uk) is the start point if you need to look for
something else.

Good Luck,

Gareth