America's Got Talent Looking for Unicyclists

Old January 8th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniaddict

Default America's Got Talent Looking for Unicyclists

Goats_On_Unicycles;1166473 wrote:
They want to make unicycling a pornographic, sell-out sport like
mountain biking or bmx.

I agree. Lets just keep unicycling something you do for fun, not fame.
Unicycling would be the best thing to be on that show. But it wouldn't
win since the only things that win on that show are boring mainstream
things everyone likes. Besides, if someone like Spencer was
on there and got voted off it would just make unicycling look bad.

--
uniaddict

'SixSixOne' (http://sixsixone.com/)
*85 foot coast!*
Old January 8th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Make sure you read the release form, especially this part: (Not sure
what they define as "dangerous", but it's definitely a "physical stunt"
to do tricks, and big stuff)

30845

|Filename: release.jpg |

MuniAddict

::'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com)

'' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?u=12920)::
Old January 8th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

uniaddict;1166617 wrote:
I agree. Lets just keep unicycling something you do for fun, not fame.
Unicycling would be the best thing to be on that show. But it wouldn't
win since the only things that win on that show are boring mainstream
things everyone likes. Besides, if someone like Spencer was
on there and got voted off it would just make unicycling look bad.

It wouldnt make unicycling look bad. And do you really think if
unicycling got mainstream, that people would stop riding for fun and as
a hobby? Thats a weird thought process there.

Just look at biking, snowboarding, and tons of other sports. All of
them are mainstream, and all of them that I do I still do for fun, even
though someone else just bought a house because he won a competition.

--
Jerrick

*Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old January 8th 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
EliB

I don't get what's so bad about unicycling becoming mainstream?

--
EliB

-Eli Brill

**TEAM INSANITY FLATLAND**
Old January 8th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

EliB;1166834 wrote:
I don't get what's so bad about unicycling becoming mainstream?

yeah, supply and demand

more parts available at more places will make better unicycles at
better prices.

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!
Old January 8th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

ThisGuyIKnow;1166536 wrote:
It's that age old divide between sports unicycling and performance
unicycling.

Or to make that even simpler, its that age-old divide between a sports
demonstration and an act. That divide can be thin, but in the end it has
to be an act for that show. Remember the end goal is an hour-long show
in a Vegas showroom, so if the performer doesn't look like they have an
hour's worth of show in them they may not pass to the next round.

Then again they might, because it's also a reality TV show and they
like acts that are interesting/funny/freaky/annoying. Why do you think
Amarosa makes it to the end in The Apprentice? Because she's interesting
and unpredictable. Why did they keep bringing back Leonid the
Magnificent on America's Got Talent? His performances were way over the
top, even though there generally wasn't much of an act there. So even a
good sports-demo act might make it for a couple of rounds, IF the person
has more than one act.

Fred the Flybar guy was really good. But it wasn't much of an act.
Great finish, great tricks, but to win the competition you need to have
several acts (can't just do the same tricks in each round) so I think
they were guessing that was all he had.

MuniAddict wrote:
Not sure what they define as "dangerous", but it's definitely a
"physical stunt" to do tricks, and big stuff

It looks like it's a legal "out" for the producers to disallow acts
where they don't think the performer is competent to do it without
injury to himself or to the theater. Like fire acts being performed by
amateurs or people doing stuff with sharp things when it's clear they
don't do it for a living. Without the extra paperwork they are not
obligated to let those people hurt themselves or create liability for
the show.

And they can use this to "send home" any acts they may not be
interested in, or that may look like duplicates, if they don't have the
extra paperwork.

And yes, having unicycles on primetime TV does not make unicycling look
bad, even if they don't win. It's another way to show unicycling to the
world out there, and get people interested. Unicycling is not in danger
of becoming mainstream. Ever. Unless it either becomes a lot easier to
do, or if a huge percentage of schools around the world start teaching
it. I have watched unicycling become a lot more accepted and understood
over the last 30 years or so, but it's far from becoming mainstream.

Notice how the winners/finalists on the show tend to mostly be singers?
Yawn. Isn't there another show for that? It's too bad they can't have a
gold, silver and bronze award, which would give you more of a variety
show format. Then you can have a traditional (boring) act, something a
little different, and also something really off the wall that could
never be an hour performance but it still entertaining. Like a Flybar
guy or a contortionist act.

Then the unicycle act can be either the middle (Trials or Flat demo)
act or the more "mainstream" act (Freestyle of some kind) and still be
viable contenders to win!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old January 9th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
crazyjoe

johnfoss;1166964 wrote:
And yes, having unicycles on primetime TV does not make unicycling look
bad, even if they don't win. It's another way to show unicycling to the
world out there, and get people interested.

You're right. If unicycling gets on the show and even if they don't
win, unicycle.com might sell out on their learner unicycles. After all,
this shows is shown all over America and there is only one big supplier
in America for unicycles right now.

I know that right before Christmas all the local bike shops sold out on
their unicycles, and together that's about 15 of them in my
neighborhood. The guy at the LBS told me that some kids wanted unicycles
for Christmas because they had seen someone (me) riding around.

--
crazyjoe

*'uniproshop.com' (http://uniproshop.com)*
*'MySpace' (http://myspace.com/myspace_joespace)*
*'deviantART' (http://thecrazyjoe.deviantart.com/)*
Old January 9th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hungry4uni

I'm sorry...but no unicycle, no matter how good, can compete with the
Zooperstars. None.

--
hungry4uni

ŤŔϊãĻş

ЦИΪĈҰĆĻέ
my sponsor'
SixSixOne' (http://www.sixsixone.com)
Old January 9th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Goats_On_Unicycles

I think unicycling going mainstream would suck cause you see how
commercial and movie-star-ish all these other sports have gotten.

I'm going to kick someone in the eyeball if a unicyclist gets sponsored
by Nike or Coke or something.

--
Goats_On_Unicycles

-So hot! If I was gay, id want an aryan guy, but im not, so I
want a sexy aryan girl.-~Jerrick

-what a precious moment in a childs life when you get to see
him blow up a rainbow trout for the first time-
~Phil on uni

-hinunggbinu!!!-
~JJtheunicycle
Old January 9th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

hungry4uni;1167185 wrote:
I'm sorry...but no unicycle, no matter how good, can compete with the
Zooperstars. None.

And the judges -loved- those Zooperstars, didn't they? They had a
lot of potential but no polish. That's a nice way of saying they didn't
have much of an act. It was like watching the Banana Splits (anyone
besides MuniAddict remember them?).

Goats_On_Unicycles wrote:
going mainstream would suck cause you see how commercial and
movie-star-ish all these other sports have gotten.

I'm going to kick someone in the eyeball if a unicyclist gets sponsored
by Nike or Coke or something.

What sports? Skateboarding? Most of the skateboarders I see still
haven't figured out how to protect themselves, and they're happy to be
"underground." Bike Trials? Yah, very mainstream. Freestyle motorcycle
jumping? I don't think I would ever have seen it if it weren't
mainstream.

And go ahead and kick me in the eyeball while I cash my Coca-Cola
Check. I wish!

Note: Coca-Cola has been a huge sponsor of unicycling in Japan for over
20 years. I don't see the problem.