Bunch ride 5

Old July 14th 04, 05:58 AM
flyingdutch

Default Bunch ride 5

hippy Wrote:

Is it going to be the same loop? The more times we do this one, the
more
chance I have of learning it, which means the more chance I have of
making
it home alive should I get dropped/lost/attacked/puncture/bonk/etc.

hippy

fine with me. promise to get the Banyule bit right this time tho

Any suggestions/variations shall be put to the committee (ie those who
know WhereTF-you-are-talking-about! and can be arsed doing it!!) and
'moved' forward.

"At the end of the day, we just wanted to get out on the paddock and
give it a redhot go. We knew that if we backed each other and stuck to
our structures that we could come away with the 4 points and...
football would be the winner on the day"

--
flyingdutch

Old July 14th 04, 08:13 AM
DaveB

I got my 39T fitted today, not that it seemed that much different on the
way home (although that could be because of the 6km uphill run to the
LBS to pick it up). And budgetary approval has just been provided for
bike shoes and pedals (woohoo!) so look out on Sunday. If I leave 30
mins before you guys it should be at least 4km before you catch me,
actually my aim will be to get to Warrandyte before you.

DaveB

Old July 14th 04, 08:22 AM
hippy

DaveB Wrote:
If I leave 30 mins before you guys it should be at least
4km before you catch me, actually my aim will be to get to Warrandyte
before you.

Look out..

If I'm drinking in moderation on Saturday night I might have
to put the pace on early

hippy

--
hippy

Old July 18th 04, 03:29 AM
flyingdutch

perhaps everyones aim (beside Geoff and I. we are now wearing the smug'
jersey :-) ) should have been to GET OUT OF BED!!!
so it rained overnight! not a drop this morning

geoff introduced a new added loop (same route but we turned right at
Yan Yean Rd and out to Yarrambat/Whittlesea/Mernda

statswars...
trip 85km (for me. longer for Geoff)
avespd 26.5k
'the hill booo! 79kph. again! no pedalling and a bit wet but no
headwind. next week...

Geoff and I did some quick guessing and realised catching DaveB ("If
he's out here") wasnt going to happen (unless those new shoes were
freakin him out :-P)
Hippy was obviously off marshalling (or recovering from Saturday's
antarctic marshalling session) and Tony and Kyra. well...

now if its nice and sunny next Sunday can you come out to play???

--
flyingdutch

Old July 18th 04, 05:16 AM
DaveB

Geoff and I did some quick guessing and realised catching DaveB ("If
he's out here") wasnt going to happen (unless those new shoes were
freakin him out :-P)

I was out there, but took the route we followed on the first week, so I
half expected to see you on the Kangaroo Ground to Diamond Ck part of
the ride. But I got away a bit late and must have got there after you
guys. I didn't want to tackle the Warrandyte hills on the first week
with the new shoes/pedals in case they gave me any knee problems (and
also a bit lazy recoverign from a cold). How bloody cold was it? I never
wear anything more than short nix and shirt with a vest but this mornign
I went way beyond head freeze and had head shoulder and arm freeze.
Thought I'd warmed up by K Ground but that downhill run to Wattle Glen
had me freezing all over again. Brrrrrr, glad it wasn't raining as well.

DaveB

Old July 18th 04, 08:20 AM
tonykara

Sorry guys, i tried to send a post but the system seemed to be
down.....it wouldnt let me make a post, all i could do was read what
was there
i spent the weekend down at safety beach, i rode red hill this
morning....jees thats steep not to mention long, its a 5km climb to the
top from point napean road, i nearly made it up with out
stopping.....maybe next time..

so how was today, its sounds like we are getting faster every week.

--
tonykara
Old July 18th 04, 09:39 AM
Geoff

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

perhaps everyones aim (beside Geoff and I. we are now wearing the smug'
jersey :-) ) should have been to GET OUT OF BED!!!
so it rained overnight! not a drop this morning

geoff introduced a new added loop (same route but we turned right at
Yan Yean Rd and out to Yarrambat/Whittlesea/Mernda

Not quite as far as Whittlesea.
For those not there today... The new loop started by turning right toward
YanYean instead of turning left toward Greensborough as was the case last
week. We then continued to Doreen passing thru Yarrambat along the way. We
turned left at Doreen, then left at Mernda then south along Plenty Road
until Latrobe Uni Bundoora where we turned left onto Kingsbury Drive. At
the end of this road we turned right and rejoined the previous weeks route
which headed for Fairfield via Ivanhoe.

Normally the bunch would have turned left at the Papermill but we turned
right instead. Why? For two reasons the first one was it was about time for
me to start heading home and second we wanted to check out the progress on
the new Northcote Velodrome complex. At the velodrome we were unable to see
much because of the exterior of the building is now pretty much complete and
there was too much reflection off the glass to see inside.

statswars...
trip 85km (for me. longer for Geoff)
avespd 26.5k
'the hill booo! 79kph. again! no pedalling and a bit wet but no
headwind. next week...

I think the main problem with getting any downhill speed happening was the
windchill factor. The faster we went the colder we got.

My stats.
Minimum Temperature 1 degree
Max Temp 12 degrees
Average Temp 6 degrees
Average Heart Rate 160 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 187 bpm
Average Speed 26.0 km/h
Maximum Speed 76.7 km/h
Distance 115.8 km
Average Cadence 83 rpm
Maximum Cadence 122 rpm

Total Ascent 1125 m

now if its nice and sunny next Sunday can you come out to play???

Hopefully we'll see some more faces out there next week. (Hippy you're
excused this week due to other cycling related committments)

I must have got some dirt/sand on my chain at the velodrome cos from that
point on I had to endure a squeaky drivetrain all the way home.

Geoff

Old July 18th 04, 09:39 AM
ritcho

flyingdutch Wrote:
perhaps everyones aim (beside Geoff and I. we are now wearing the smug'
jersey :-) ) should have been to GET OUT OF BED!!!
so it rained overnight! not a drop this morning

[snip]

now if its nice and sunny next Sunday can you come out to play???

I'll be there!

No, wait ... I still live in Sydney. Doh!

Ritch.

PS. Finally we're getting a little dose of a southern winter (brrr)

--
ritcho
Old July 18th 04, 10:09 AM
jazmo

Geoff Wrote:

My stats.
Minimum Temperature 1 degree
Max Temp 12 degrees
Average Temp 6 degrees
Average Heart Rate 160 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 187 bpm
Average Speed 26.0 km/h
Maximum Speed 76.7 km/h
Distance 115.8 km
Average Cadence 83 rpm
Maximum Cadence 122 rpm

Total Ascent 1125 m

Nice stats. What are you using to collect them?

--
jazmo

Old July 18th 04, 10:11 AM
Geoff

"DaveB" wrote in message

[...]

What time did you leave at. We left Westfield Doncaster at 7:30. We waited
a little longer just in case Tony was running late.

Cold!!! Check my reply to flyingdutch if you want to know how cold it was.
I suppose we should be grateful we live in Melbourne not Canberra.

I guess you'll be getting some outer layers for future early morning rides
It is important to maintain your core body temperature during rides
such as today's. To give you an example as to what you might need, this
morning I was out there in Woollen Gloves under normal mitts, Thermal
Undershirt, Jersey, Arm Warmers, Normal length bibs with three quarter
length leg warmers underneath, Windproof vest, Toe Warmers (full booties
would have been better), and the all important Roubaix headband to keep the
ears warm. This was only just adequate for me in the first part of the
ride.

btw. How did the new shoes and pedals go?

Geoff

Bunch ride 3 flyingdutch Australia 111 July 14th 04 04:56 AM
Bunch ride tonykara Australia 44 July 1st 04 01:10 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
2003 Illinois AITC ride report(long) harryo Recumbent Biking 14 September 9th 03 01:01 AM
2003 RSVP (post ride ramblings) William Higley, Sr. Recumbent Biking 0 August 11th 03 02:07 AM