Recovery ride HR question

Old February 19th 04, 10:58 PM
hippy

Default Recovery ride HR question

If you are supposed to maintain a HR of,
say, 135bpm for a recovery ride - given a
known maxHR - will the recovery be severly
hampered by breaking out of this zone?

i.e. I'm using my commute as a recovery ride
and there are some hills on it that I cannot
climb without elevating my HR above my
suggested recovery heartrate. Is this defeating
the purpose of the recovery or does it not
make much difference?

cheers!
hippy

Old February 20th 04, 06:13 AM
Raptor

hippy wrote:
If you are supposed to maintain a HR of,
say, 135bpm for a recovery ride - given a
known maxHR - will the recovery be severly
hampered by breaking out of this zone?

i.e. I'm using my commute as a recovery ride
and there are some hills on it that I cannot
climb without elevating my HR above my
suggested recovery heartrate. Is this defeating
the purpose of the recovery or does it not
make much difference?

cheers!
hippy

It doesn't make much difference. As long as you feel fresh the next
day, and your heart responds normally, you're recovered.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old February 21st 04, 02:31 AM
Paul

Be sure to not use any force beyond what is required to creep up the hills.
What I mean is do not build any lactic acid on these easy days. Slow, smooth
and gentle. Sometimes HR is going to go beyond the range for you. Just do
not hammer up a hill and abuse those legs :-) Spin that small light gear.
Good luck...

Paul

--
Paul Ozier