Bravo Freddy

Old June 6th 04, 08:19 PM
B. Lafferty

Default Bravo Freddy

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

Old June 6th 04, 09:50 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

"B. Lafferty" wrote in news:P6Kwc.15569$Yd3.10031
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.
Old June 6th 04, 10:02 PM
Richard Adams

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
"B. Lafferty" wrote in news:P6Kwc.15569$Yd3.10031
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.

Yeah, look how the europeans creamed the americans in their own
championship race. There was something about this in VeloNews some
while back, making the National Championship race USA riders only.

How many other countries allow international riders in their championship?

Old June 6th 04, 10:41 PM
B. Lafferty

"Boyd Speerschneider" wrote in message
"B. Lafferty" wrote in news:P6Kwc.15569$Yd3.10031
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.

As first American, in 4th place, Freddy has indeed won the right to wear the
jersey of USPRO champion for the coming year. While he didn't win overall
this year, he has won overal in the past, as was the last USPRO champion to
do so. Considering his win this year in the Giro against Petacchi(sp?), he's
clearly a very deserving US champion.

Old June 6th 04, 10:51 PM
B. Lafferty

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
"B. Lafferty" wrote in news:P6Kwc.15569$Yd3.10031
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.

Yeah, look how the europeans creamed the americans in their own
championship race. There was something about this in VeloNews some
while back, making the National Championship race USA riders only.

The US riders made up nearly 50% of the top 30 finishers. It is true than
most of the DNFs were US riders. But,consider also that some of the
allegely best US riders were not in Philadelphia. Perhaps it's time to move
the championship to the week the Euro championshpis are held and make it an
all american event. This has been discussed here at length before. No easy
answer.

How many other countries allow international riders in their championship?

Old June 6th 04, 10:56 PM
B. Lafferty

"Boyd Speerschneider" wrote in message
"B. Lafferty" wrote in news:P6Kwc.15569$Yd3.10031
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.

Consider also that Freddy won the week long overall.

Old June 6th 04, 11:02 PM
Richard Adams

:

A well desered win for a solid rider and a nice guy! BRAVO!

4th place isn't a win... even if he gets the jersey for the next year.

Yeah, look how the europeans creamed the americans in their own
championship race. There was something about this in VeloNews some
while back, making the National Championship race USA riders only.

The US riders made up nearly 50% of the top 30 finishers. It is true than
most of the DNFs were US riders. But,consider also that some of the
allegely best US riders were not in Philadelphia. Perhaps it's time to move
the championship to the week the Euro championshpis are held and make it an
all american event. This has been discussed here at length before. No easy
answer.

Something I did see, here, I believe was this is the last year for this
sponsor of the race. Maybe a new sponsor and a new time go together.

Old June 7th 04, 01:30 AM
Time Cop

Richard Adams wrote:
Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
How many other countries allow international riders in their
championship?

None in Europe

-

Old June 7th 04, 04:27 AM
JMS

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Yeah, look how the europeans creamed the americans in their own
championship race. There was something about this in VeloNews some
while back, making the National Championship race USA riders only.

How many other countries allow international riders in their championship?

Australia does, though usually only a few euros are in the bunch, and they
mainly are there to help their Aussie teammates. Canada also, but the
foreigners they attract are those riding on the US circuit. And the three
Baltic countries have a funky race where all three jerseys are given out in
one race.

I think the problem with a national championship at the end of June is that
you would never get any US rider planning to ride the Tour to come. And it
would be a pity to limit Philly to US riders, because this would downgrade
the best race on the domestic calendar.

Probably the ideal solution would be to have another race, limited to US
riders, run the same week as Philly/Trenton/Lancaster. It also would be
nice if they made Philly a harder race so that we don't get a bunch sprint.
But face it: the Philly race is a much bigger deal than the satisfaction of
us real cycling fans, or even the cyclists and teams. The huge crowd and
awesome civic support is special, and I bet the organizers are loathe to
screw around with the formula (and I wouldn't blame them).

JMS

Old June 7th 04, 04:44 AM
Jim Flom

"JMS" wrote...

Probably the ideal solution would be to have another race, limited to US
riders, run the same week as Philly/Trenton/Lancaster. It also would be
nice if they made Philly a harder race so that we don't get a bunch

sprint.
But face it: the Philly race is a much bigger deal than the satisfaction

of
us real cycling fans, or even the cyclists and teams. The huge crowd and
awesome civic support is special, and I bet the organizers are loathe to
screw around with the formula (and I wouldn't blame them).

It really boils down to a what -- thirteen mile (or whatever) circuit race.
The fact that it's the "US Pro Cycling Championship" and in Philly probably
speaks more to the weakness of USA Pro Cycling than to the strength of the
course (eh?). A week of crits then a circuit race. The United States --
let's face it -- can create a better course, and a better week, in an
equally strong economic center than that. I shudder to say this, but they
could probably even do better in Boston. There's plenty of local money in
Philadelphia that will try to keep it there, I am guessing, but a true
national championship can do better than a circuit race, IMHO.

JF