PING the az super go guy

Old September 15th 03, 04:27 AM
Penny S

Default PING the az super go guy

ok sorry I can't remember your name... ;-(

this was an interesting comment about your sto Or is it your store?

"
The store in Tucson is big - but unless you are (1) male (2) 20-30 years old
and (3) have the gaunt Lance Armstrong look, you are invisible to
salespeople. Grrrr... They don't "get" that we are the ones with the $$$
!!!"

I hope you were off that day. "We" being females.

Penny

Old September 15th 03, 04:36 AM
Slacker

Default PING....that's John Morgan

ok sorry I can't remember your name... ;-(

this was an interesting comment about your sto Or is it your store?

"
The store in Tucson is big - but unless you are (1) male (2) 20-30 years

old
and (3) have the gaunt Lance Armstrong look, you are invisible to
salespeople. Grrrr... They don't "get" that we are the ones with the $$$
!!!"

I hope you were off that day. "We" being females.

Penny

I would guess that is probably the case with most shops.
--
Slacker

Old September 15th 03, 03:39 PM
Rick B

Funny you should mention this right now but last Monday I was in the local
Supergo shop here in the Phoenix area and one of the salespeople that I
recognized from past visits was getting royally chewed out by one of the
managers. I only overheard part of the scolding but in general he was
trying to explain to him that he needed to learn that the customer should be
more than just a dollar sign to him and he needed to learn to try to be more
customer service oriented. Now I thought this was kind of odd to hear
coming from anyone at that type of store because I have always felt that
going there was more for $ savings and understanding the trade off would be
almost no customer service. Anyhow I was kind of glad to see that they or
someone there considers customer service important.
Just a few of my thoughts.
Rickb
"

Old September 15th 03, 04:22 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 07:39:51 -0700, Rick B penned:
[...]

Even bargain-oriented businesses usually need to rely on return
customers ... and it seems to me that a large portion of mountain-bikers
are folks with disposal income who would rather be treated well than
save a buck or two. (That may just be the folks to whom I've been
exposed, though.)

Actually, I do a "management study group" at work, which is basically a
book club with free lunch. A number of the books have pointed out that
successful businesses never rely on a single competitive edge -- because
when someone else figures a way to beat you at your own game, you're
hosed.

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 15th 03, 06:39 PM
John Morgan

ok sorry I can't remember your name... ;-(

this was an interesting comment about your sto Or is it your store?

"
The store in Tucson is big - but unless you are (1) male (2) 20-30 years

old
and (3) have the gaunt Lance Armstrong look, you are invisible to
salespeople. Grrrr... They don't "get" that we are the ones with the $$$
!!!"

I hope you were off that day. "We" being females.

Hi Penny.
That's actually not my store, they just bought out a store in Tucson and
assimilated it into the corporate structure. It's called Supergo, but I'm
sure they're still struggling with the changeover down there.

Basically what it comes down to is... some people love Supergo and come away
with excellent customer service and great prices, other people hate us for
whatever reasons they have. I think we're a lot like any small bike shop,
really. Some people get overlooked because the store is so busy, but it
seems more likely you'd get offended because our sales people won't leave
you alone.

Since Supergo was sold to Performance Bike, the "family owned" feel has been
slipping a bit, since new policies are directed a bit more toward the bottom
line. That is, $$$. As long as I work there I'll try to give the best
customer service I can, but I hope you don't expect me to take
responsibility for my whole store, or worse, all of Supergo.

-John Morgan

Old September 15th 03, 06:52 PM
John Morgan

[...]

Cool. I know who you're talking about. =) You're right, some of the
salespeople at my store really need replacing, since they really have no
interest in the sport and could just as well be selling used cars. They are
just collecting a paycheck. However, there are some awesome employees
there, who love and promote the sport. It is these people you need to talk
to if you expect good customer service.

It's a two-way street, however. We might have a couple sales people with
problems, but as a "bargain" store, we attract the worst kind of customers
too. If you don't believe me, just come in when we have a sale.

-John Morgan

Old September 15th 03, 09:08 PM
Todd Brown

"John Morgan" wrote in message
ok sorry I can't remember your name... ;-(

this was an interesting comment about your sto Or is it your store?

"
The store in Tucson is big - but unless you are (1) male (2) 20-30 years

old
and (3) have the gaunt Lance Armstrong look, you are invisible to
salespeople. Grrrr... They don't "get" that we are the ones with the $$$
!!!"

I hope you were off that day. "We" being females.

Hi Penny.
That's actually not my store, they just bought out a store in Tucson and
assimilated it into the corporate structure. It's called Supergo, but I'm
sure they're still struggling with the changeover down there.

The store in Tucson was a Full Cycle, and they had pretty good costomer
service. Not Great but OK. It seems to me like most of the helpful staff is
still there. Another Full Cycle is now a Performance store.

Basically what it comes down to is... some people love Supergo and come

away
with excellent customer service and great prices, other people hate us for
whatever reasons they have.

Most people I know like Supergo and Performance OK, but they realize that
costomer service is on the low end. We shop there for the prices that a HUGE
store with a huge inventory can offer. Supergo has a the big time buying
power to do complete factory buyouts. Then they can cut prices on that item
in order to move it My bike is a prime example. Supergo bought out all the
remaining 2002 Kokopelli's from Yeti. I bought from a small shop in Colorado
who admited that they could not compete with Supergo pricewise, so they just
wanted to move their remaining stock. Because they were a small shop, they
did alot of upgrades that Supergo would not do (Avid disks, mavic rims, XT
shifters, levers and cassette) all at a reasonable price. Some people hate
Supergo simply because its size has driven alot of small LBS's out of
buisness.

I think we're a lot like any small bike shop,
really. Some people get overlooked because the store is so busy, but it
seems more likely you'd get offended because our sales people won't leave
you alone.

??? I cant agree with that

Since Supergo was sold to Performance Bike, the "family owned" feel has

been
slipping a bit, since new policies are directed a bit more toward the

bottom
line.

I cant really say I ever felt the "Family Owned " feeling about Supergo.
However, I bought alot of stuff from them due to their prices.

That is, $$$. As long as I work there I'll try to give the best
customer service I can, but I hope you don't expect me to take
responsibility for my whole store, or worse, all of Supergo.

Fair enough
Todd Brown

-John Morgan

Old September 15th 03, 09:13 PM
Penny S

John Morgan scrawled in bright red lipstick:
I hope you don't
expect me to take responsibility for my whole store, or worse, all of
Supergo.

-John Morgan

Of course I expect you to assume full responsibility!! NO, ,I just pasted
that from another forum just as an FYI. Not that you have any control... we
know that was your day off.
;-)

Old September 16th 03, 06:07 AM
Greg P.

"Penny S" wrote in message
| "
| The store in Tucson is big - but unless you are (1) male (2) 20-30 years
old
| and (3) have the gaunt Lance Armstrong look, you are invisible to
| salespeople. Grrrr... They don't "get" that we are the ones with the $$$
| !!!"

I'm not sure if any of you live in southern California, but if you do there
is an excellent bike shop that is worth the drive called Orange Cycle in
....well...Orange, CA. It's a large LBS the size of supergo, but what stands
out is their customer service. It's family-owned and run. I recently
purchased a Specialized Expedition Elite (along with some better mods) for a
"cruising" bike and got a great deal on it ($260). Sure it's my cheapest and
lowest grade bike I own (or ever will), but as long as I have owned it they
have always freely adjusted, modified, fixed, etc anything on it for me,
even my fiancée's Lotus road bike (talk about ancient =P).

You can basically sit around the store and just chat with the employees
about anything related to bikes (this is where I got most of my "wrench"
information). This is highly contrasted to supergo. I'm a musician and find
that supergo is harder to get help (for more than 5 seconds) than Guitar
Center without first saying that you want to spend alot of $$$. Try going up
to a supergo employee and asking about the best fork sus PSI levels are for
certain terrain types.

Back to Orange Cycle. Take your bike in sometime and be impressed.

Side note: I wanted to know if anyone has every had this problem before. I
was riding behind a stranger (not partner) pansy road biker on a close trail
near me. The entire time I'm drafting (yes, I'm an ass), he's passing gas.
And not like "toot" "toot", I mean full throttle machine gun farts for like
10 minutes.