Bearing Help

Old January 30th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Bearing Help

I don't have the $30 to cough up for a pully puller for my bearings, is
there any way to get them off without that tool? Thanks in advance.

--
TheoELind
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

Old January 30th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

get a cheap version at an auto shop.

--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308

Old January 30th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Go to an auto parts store with a small machine shop (bearing press,
brake turning) and ask them if they'll pull them for free. Then do some
unicycle tricks for them for their trouble. I got a pedal welded on
that way once, long ago.

I don't know how tight the bearings are on or if the wheel is still
laced. Bury the axle in ice. Heat the outer bearing race with a torch
and let the heat transfer to the inner race through the balls. If
you're lucky you can pop it off when there is still enough temperature
differential to keep the axle small and the bearing large. Dry ice
would be even better.

Best suggestion was koebwil's.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old January 30th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you can get one for $6

Old January 30th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

$6 dollars I can do, thank you both very much. I Tried to get my
chemestry teacher from last year dip the hub in liquid nitrogen, but
she wouldn't let me. The bearings have a large amount of permanant
locktight that I put on there hoping they'd never have to come off.

Old January 30th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Yeah, 'liquid nitrogen'
(http://staff.washington.edu/gharper/modify2.htm) is fun stuff,
especially for unicycle parts.

Old January 30th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Another option is to take the wheel to a bike shop and have them remove
it. Some bike shops have a bearing puller. It shouldn't be too much
to have them do it. Another option is to take the wheel to an auto
shop and see if they'd be willing to pull the bearings off.

What we call a bearing puller is actually an auto parts tool for
pulling off various pulleys and gears used in cars. Things like
steering wheel pulleys and all the other various pulleys used in cars.
So an auto repair shop will have one and might be willing to pull your
bearings off. Another option would be to look around at local thrift
shops or flea markets for a used pulley puller. Shouldn't be too
expensive.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old January 30th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

both of those options would probably cost more than $6.

Old January 31st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

koebwil wrote:
both of those options would probably cost more than $6.

True.
For the under $6 range a 'battery terminal puller'
(http://store.yahoo.com/battstore/batterpul.html) might work. I saw
one at the local hardware store today and it was under $4. Problem
though is that I don't know if the jaws would open wide enough to fit a
bearing and I don't know if the reach is long enough to be able to
reach the bearing on a unicycle hub. If the battery terminal puller
works it would be just barely big enough to do the task.

Has anyone tried a battery terminal puller to pull off a unicycle
bearing?

Old January 31st 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

john_childs wrote:
True.
For the under $6 range a 'battery terminal puller'
(http://store.yahoo.com/battstore/batterpul.html) might work. I saw
one at the local hardware store today and it was under $4. Problem
though is that I don't know if the jaws would open wide enough to fit a
bearing and I don't know if the reach is long enough to be able to
reach the bearing on a unicycle hub. If the battery terminal puller
works it would be just barely big enough to do the task.

Has anyone tried a battery terminal puller to pull off a unicycle
bearing?

I've tried it, and it doesn't work, with one like on that link. Doesn't
reach far enough or open wide enough.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

free rotating wheels? XWonka Unicycling 10 August 13th 06 03:45 AM
Serious Torker Bearing help. cyberpunk Unicycling 14 January 9th 06 04:07 AM
moving my bearing karl-the-frogman Unicycling 15 March 1st 05 06:36 PM
Bearing cap torque underdog Unicycling 7 August 5th 04 07:42 PM
Bearing holders mgrant Unicycling 13 February 11th 04 03:53 AM