need hill climbing advice

Old December 29th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buck[_2_]

Default need hill climbing advice

Thanks for all the advise about hill climbing. I can't quite get it
right when trying to start (again) after stopping on a hill. I am new
at this and have been working on free mounting the coker and on a good
day it takes two to several attempts to get started on the level. but
Up hill is a different story I usually after @ 5 min. of trying just
push the uni to the top and start again.

Thanks for your help

--
Buck
Old December 29th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buck[_2_]

I want to get an odometer for my 36 inch wheel, any suggestions? I have
a cat eye wireless for my fixed gear and wanted to use that but the
calibration rations only go up to 700mm.

Thanks , also

any one in the Pittsburgh Area, see you at the Mon wharf 1 Jan 2009
for the polar bear dip. We will be selling T shirts "Polar bears For
Bundle up" All the proceeds go to project bundle up - get cold to help a
kid stay warm!

Happy New Year!!

--
Buck
Old December 29th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

Starting up-hill is very challenging, with the difficulty increasing
swiftly with the steepness of the hill. If you can't mount uphill then
turn around, mount down-hill, and do a quick u-turn. It's allowed. Or
mount across the hill, perhaps from a driveway.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old December 29th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

Bruce Dawson;1158480 wrote:
Therefore the steepest hill that can be climbed if you apply just your
weight to the pedals with 6" cranks on a 36" wheel is somewhat less than
a 2/3pi grade or 21%.

I realized today that the physics is a bit more complicated than I made
it sound. The 2/3pi grade calculation assumes that you are applying your
full bodyweight to the forward pedal at all times. You can,
surprisingly, do better than that. If you effectively 'jump' from one
pedal to the other then you can apply several times your body weight to
the pedal when it is horizontal, and not waste any body weight when the
pedal is near vertical. This averages out to being equivalent to always
applying your full weight to a horizontal pedal. This means that the
maximum grade that can be climbed without pulling on the seat, assuming
a zero-weight unicycle and perfect riding skills, is 33%.

I'd love to hook up force meters to the pedals and the handlebars and
see what actually happens when an expert rider climbs a steep hill.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old December 29th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dtecum

It is much easier to go up a hill by going from side to side. Why bother
stressing out the legs and lungs. The first guy I ever saw on a uni went
from side to side and by the time he arrived at the top he said he felt
fine. ANY hill can be conquered by riding side to side. I think sailors
call it tacking!!

--
dtecum

You can't always believe a word I say.
I wouldn't join a club that has me as a member.
Old December 29th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

dtecum;1159831 wrote:
It is much easier to go up a hill by going from side to side. Why bother
stressing out the legs and lungs. The first guy I ever saw on a uni went
from side to side and by the time he arrived at the top he said he felt
fine. ANY hill can be conquered by riding side to side. I think sailors
call it tacking!!

I think there might be more energy lost in the act of turning than in
just driving straight on up the middle of the sucker. Especially on a
Coker-type uni, tacking up into a steep hill and back across to the
other diagonal is brutal. As mentioned, if a hill gets steep, you hold
on tight and jump hard (i.e. more than your weight) on the uni's front
pedal.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a 'few uni race write-ups'
(http://home.roadrunner.com/~rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old December 29th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Buck;1159812 wrote:
I want to get an odometer for my 36 inch wheel, any suggestions? I have
a cat eye wireless for my fixed gear and wanted to use that but the
calibration rations only go up to 700mm.

I recommend against a wireless computer. They can have signal problems
if you ride w/ others they can get their signals crossed and you have to
keep the computer really close to the pick-up on the fork leg. Besides
you can't check it on the fly.

I'd get a wrist GPS. MuniAddict has one, ask him where he got it.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old December 29th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

steveyo;1159842 wrote:
I think there might be more energy lost in the act of turning than in
just driving straight on up the middle of the sucker. Especially on a
Coker-type uni, tacking up into a steep hill and back across to the
other diagonal is brutal. As mentioned, if a hill gets steep, you hold
on tight and jump hard (i.e. more than your weight) on the uni's front
pedal.

I admit to doing the whole tacking thing to get up Baldwin St last
year. If I had a better handle I reckon I could have gone straight up.

YouTube - TV1 News
Story of SINZ Unicycle Tour Jan 2007

I've also added some climbing tips to the AU website:

http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/?page_id=214

Enjoy!

Ken

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 29th 08, 11:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

with freemounting big wheels hill-climbing is my weak spot
this is curious since I am fairly good at it on a MTB.
Again I suspect I am not relaxed enough and spend too much energy: it's
not my legs that give up it's my lungs : effort asthma starts there and
I start mewing like a dying cat!
curiously I can climb longer with 125 cranks on a 20" or 29" wheel than
with 145 cranks on a 24" (dead spot?)

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
Old December 29th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

wobbling bear;1159973 wrote:

curiously I can climb longer with 125 cranks on a 20" or 29" wheel than
with 145 cranks on a 24" (dead spot?)

Probably. You gain leverage at the expense of power. It's the last
point on my climbing tutorial. How much leverage you need is obviously
dependent on the terrain and the rider, but if you use an extreme
example: imagine riding on 400mm long cranks. Plenty of leverage, but
unless you are 3m tall, it's probably not going to be very efficient at
climbing.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

need hill climbing advice since10 Unicycling 0 February 20th 07 05:33 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Route advice: CBD to Box Hill Tafe Euan Australia 6 April 12th 06 04:11 AM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM