need hill climbing advice

Old January 6th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

Default need hill climbing advice

munimutant;1160458 wrote:
Wow, rider in front looks clipped in.

Yes, single sided spd. Lets you pull up a little on the upstroke.

--
bungeejoe
Old January 6th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

bungeejoe;1165153 wrote:
Yes, single sided spd. Lets you pull up a little on the upstroke.

Nice! .....also push forward over the top, and "scrape the dog poop" (a
Greg LeMond metaphor) through the bottom stroke, assuming they do the
same for you as on a bicycle?

--
munimutant
Old January 6th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

munimutant;1165162 wrote:
Nice! "scrape the dog poop"

Also great for holding back on the down hills once you get use to
pulling up on the down stroke.

--
bungeejoe
Old January 6th 09, 05:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munimutant

bungeejoe;1165163 wrote:
Also great for holding back on the down hills once you get use to
pulling up on the down stroke.

Sounds cool. Soon as I feel more confident on the uni I'll have to try
it out.

--
munimutant
Old January 12th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buck[_2_]

If I understand the postd correctly, do some of you use clip less
peddles? If so please shar3e some of your techniques and perhaps pit
falls

--
Buck
Old January 13th 09, 05:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

Buck;1169462 wrote:
...do some of you use clipless peddles? If so please share some of your
techniques and perhaps pit falls

Lots of advantages. Same as for other forms of cycling.

Disadvantages - you need to be able to remember to un-clip, even in a
upd. Many of those who have tried or are using clipless have broken a
body part or two along the way.

They really help on long hills. Like 10 miles of 5% or steeper grade.
Once you get the hang of it you can change muscle groups and give the
standard climbing muscles a little break. When climbing when it is
raining they help you not slip off the pedals when your shoes are wet
while applying lots of force.

I have more than 10,000 miles on unicycles ridden with clipless pedals.
I have not yet fallen during a upd and still been clipped in when I hit
the ground. I have never ridden a bicycle with clipless pedals.

I have broken my leg from a upd while riding clipless. Serious tibia
plateau fracture. I do not feel that standard pedals would have made
much difference in the outcome of my fall. Others strongly disagree
with me.

*Warning*! *Beware*! - *YOU* can do *great damage* to *YOURSELF* while
riding clipless pedals. If you don't believe me ask around, others have
done great damage to themselves while riding with clipless pedals. Some
swear never again.

Think seriously before you decide to try clipless. Practice until
getting out becomes second nature. If you need to think about
dismounting, you are not ready yet to ride with clipless. Practice by
hanging on to a bench or some solid object and repeatedly clip in and
then out, over and over, lots of times. I would recommend at least 100
times with each foot. You need to be good at this. You should not have
to think about it. You will not always have time to think during a
upd.

Get good at riding and then learn to do a couple of different mounting
techniques.

JM

--
bungeejoe
Old January 13th 09, 08:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

bungeejoe;1169661 wrote:

Think seriously before you decide to try clipless. Practice until
getting out becomes second nature. If you need to think about
dismounting, you are not ready yet to ride with clipless.

Several of the early people who tried clipless on unicycles (and got
injured), had no experience of riding them on bikes. Which is probably a
bad way to start. People I've met who've had success with clipless, most
of them got used to clipless on mountain bikes first.

Personally I've ridden clipless enough on bikes to know that I'm not
ready to ride them on a unicycle. I do use half toeclips on my road
unicycle though, which have much of the advantages, but are much more
natural to unclip from (you pretty much fall out of them in a crash).

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old January 13th 09, 08:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

joemarshall;1169710 wrote:
Several of the early people who tried clipless on unicycles (and got
injured), had no experience of riding them on bikes. Which is probably a
bad way to start. People I've met who've had success with clipless, most
of them got used to clipless on mountain bikes first.

Personally I've ridden clipless enough on bikes to know that I'm not
ready to ride them on a unicycle. I do use half toeclips on my road
unicycle though, which have much of the advantages, but are much more
natural to unclip from (you pretty much fall out of them in a crash).

Joe

I've ridden clipless on bikes for about 15yrs, and I've tried clipless
on a unicycle. Definitely get used to them on a bike first, but also
bear in mind that it's not exactly the same.

It was great initially, until I got tired and found that I couldn't
clip out fast enough if I UPD'ed. Especially on a MUni. I haven't
really tried it on the road, but it might work better there.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 13th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

I doubt that I'll ever have the guts to go clipless on a uni.

Soon after I joined this site I read about a trials comp at a uni
weekend where there was a tie for first place. They had a high jump as
a tie breaker and the clipped in guy won, he felt they gave him more
control and the ability pull up on hops getting him more height. He
spent a couple of months getting used to them, starting w/ a bike.

About a year ago some guy here got some for his Muni ike 'these'
(http://tinyurl.com/84yo5u), w/ one side regular pedal and the other SPD
step-in, also some casual mtb shoes ('I think they were these'
(http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4857)). He set them on the
lightest setting and practiced getting in and out for 1/2 hr until it
felt pretty natural and he could step out and dismount or continue w/ 1
ft and step back on either on the clipless or platform side.

Then he went on a couple of Muni rides and on the second he had like, 4
UPD's. Once he pre-released and stepped back in and once it caused a
UPD. On his next Muni ride he tightened the pedals a tad and had
multiple UPD's w/ no problems w/ the clipless pedals. If I remember
correctly, he felt gave him a bit more control in the technical spots,
and easier climbing/desending and not once did he have a UPD w/ one foot
still clipped in.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old January 14th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
bungeejoe

skilewis74;1169940 wrote:

I doubt that I'll ever have the guts to go clipless on a uni.

Guts?
Who needs guts!

You just have to be crazy.

JM

--
bungeejoe

need hill climbing advice since10 Unicycling 0 February 20th 07 04:33 AM
climbing Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 July 3rd 06 09:26 PM
Climbing OTB p e t e f a g e r l i n Mountain Biking 26 May 9th 06 03:56 PM
Route advice: CBD to Box Hill Tafe Euan Australia 6 April 12th 06 04:11 AM
Question about hill climbing technique Walrus Australia 14 July 17th 04 12:37 PM