10-15 hours of practice gets you where, now ?

Old December 28th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

Default 10-15 hours of practice gets you where, now ?

Not to be a retard, but i read everywhere "typically, it takes 10-15
hours of practice to learn to unicycle" But what does that mean ?
Level 1 skills ? 5 revs ? I mean... 10-15 years is an equally
(in-)valid estimate, if you know what i mean.

Seriously though, i'm at 8.5 hours right now and i'm just curious as to
what the average joe has achieved at the end of that magical 10-15
hours.

--
McNerdius
Old December 28th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cbs

my post might not count but i guess i put in 3 hrs before i could ride
down the hallway just lightly tapping my one hand on the wall. my arm
is broken so i am not aloud yet to "ride" so i am staying bored in the
hallway before i can report if i can ride it or not.

its healed but it could be another month before i can let it go so i
stopped counting how long i mess on it just balancing.

--
cbs
Old December 28th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

There are no average Joe unicyclist. Kids are doing unispins within
minutes, others take years. By learning to unicycle, as stated in your
quote, im 99% sure that it means you can mount onto the uni, ride
around, and then unmount when you want to, and not because you just had
to walk off.

For now, lets forget about hours. Live by a store? Yes? Good. No? Even
better. Pick a day, and uni to the store, even if you can just ride a
few revs or have troubles mounting, do it anyways. Now you have a
destination and you will be judged by the distances you can ride and for
how long you go before having to unmount.

Once you get to the store, buy yourself two candy bars. One to eat
right then, and the other, well, you got to ride back home. =p

--
Jerrick

'*Bought it!*' (http://tinyurl.com/6ywusa)
*Press Alt+F4 to fix post
stretch.*[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]JC~
Old December 28th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

Jerrick;1159609 wrote:
There are no average Joe unicyclist. Kids are doing unispins within
minutes, others take years. By learning to unicycle, as stated in your
quote, im 99% sure that it means you can mount onto the uni, ride
around, and then unmount when you want to, and not because you just had
to walk off.

For now, lets forget about hours. Live by a store? Yes? Good. No? Even
better. Pick a day, and uni to the store, even if you can just ride a
few revs or have troubles mounting, do it anyways. Now you have a
destination and you will be judged by the distances you can ride and for
how long you go before having to unmount.

Once you get to the store, buy yourself two candy bars. One to eat
right then, and the other, well, you got to ride back home. =p

yeah... i know there are no average joe unicyclists... we're all
freaks... DUH ! But seriously i was just wondering if there was a
concensus among the pros as to what the newbies should be doing after
those first few weeks. Mind you, i'm not worried or complaining about
my progress. I feel GREAT with my progress... Every time i practise i
know i'm doing better... etc. The post was not about me, per se... just
a curiousity.

So basically, level 1, roughly speaking ?

--
McNerdius

'progress-journal-bloggamajiggy' (mcnerdius.blogspot.com)
Old December 28th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Yeah, id say around there. Just the basics of riding. Depending on the
person they could still be having some troubles or want to jump into
crankflips. =p

The destinations rides will still help a lot.

Old December 28th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cbs

is uni a lot like other balance sports? i know when i tried to ride
ramps on rollerskates, it took me a month. i was frustrated and figured
i sucked and would never do anything. then i learned a lot, plat-toed,
then i started doing a bunch of tricks, then i broke my arm lol. lets
pass the last one this time......

--
cbs
Old December 28th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

its plateau...

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old December 28th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
McNerdius[_2_]

Jerrick;1159621 wrote:
Yeah, id say around there. Just the basics of riding. Depending on the
person they could still be having some troubles or want to jump into
crankflips. =p

The destinations rides will still help a lot.

i'm doing that sort of thing in my apartment lot right now... the lot
is HUGE. the area i'm learning in right now is about 400m long.
Overall though my apartment complex is about 4 square blocks of
low-medium traffic... fairly smooth terrain (when snow-free that is.)
But when i step outside of the complex's lot... things get hairy. Some
steep hills, narrow sidewalks RIGHT close to the busy street. It'll be
a bit before i do much there. I do know what my first *real*
destination ride will be, though. To the gas station, halfway back to
the park which has a wicked nice trail/track thing, back to the gas
station, and back home. *ponders* I think i might go try that. The
only pain in the rear is i can't freemount yet.

Old December 28th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cbs

skrobo;1159627 wrote:
its plateau...

the creative and visually gifted cannot spell! i just proved it.

--
cbs
Old December 28th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

It's not simply the number of hours.

It's how you use those hours.

It's where you are able to practise.

It's the quality of the uni.

It's your level of fitness.

It's your level of determination.

It's even partly luck dependent.

Don't measure your achievements against others, because all that will
tell you about yourself is which people you decide to choose as a
yardstick. There is someone out there 10 times better than you, but
that doesn't make you useless. Someone else is ten times worse, but
that doesn't make you a genius.

It's just a game we play. Ride it for fun and you will get better at
it. Ride it to be as good as a lot of people you've never met, and you
will only make yourself unhappy.

--
Mikefule

You don't put an end to hatred by bombing your enemies.

Duathlon Practice Run innes Unicycling 1 April 3rd 08 01:11 AM
Keep up the practice semach.the.monkey Unicycling 6 October 9th 07 02:26 PM
Practice run Brian G UK 4 July 14th 07 09:15 AM
Practice day 2 unicycleboy Unicycling 6 December 19th 05 08:34 PM
training/practice muniracer Unicycling 3 February 1st 04 04:56 AM