dual presta/schraeder inflator head failures.

Old February 27th 04, 12:27 PM
Max

Default dual presta/schraeder inflator head failures.

WHAT in THE W^%$%&$*&QRQGBFE$U^% causes the dual inflator heads on so
many of today's bike pumps to fail?

For the second time i had a head -- with less than three dozen uses --
get stuck on frickin schraeder. Great if that's what you have... but i
don't have anything schraeder.

Naturally this happens after i fix a slow leak before going to work, or
in today's case, as i switch from ice to normal tires.

Other than never allowing another schraeder anything in my house ever
again, doesn anyone have a solution?

Like how to quickly fix these dam valves?

i am soooo annoyed and p.o'd right now.

..max
at least i got the studded tires off.

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old February 27th 04, 07:09 PM
Dane Jackson

Max wrote:

For the second time i had a head -- with less than three dozen uses --
get stuck on frickin schraeder. Great if that's what you have... but i
don't have anything schraeder.

Naturally this happens after i fix a slow leak before going to work, or
in today's case, as i switch from ice to normal tires.

Other than never allowing another schraeder anything in my house ever
again, doesn anyone have a solution?

Like how to quickly fix these dam valves?

I like the convertible silca pump head. Mainly a presta, but you can
screw that off and use the schrader head underneath that. I wouldn't
buy it if I had a lot of schrader usage, but it's good enough for the
occasional use. Someone posted a link to where you can get the heads
online rb.tech recently, if you can't persuade your LBS to order one.

i am soooo annoyed and p.o'd right now.

I was late(r) than I planned to be to work when I realized the reason
my shifting deteriorated so badly on the way home was that my cassette
lockring popped off when I was pushing hard downhill on the way home.
Surprisingly it still shifted vaguely okay, I just could hear vast
problems when I shifted to my 11 (the chain was rubbing badly against
the inside of the dropout). I guess I didn't tighten my cassette
enough last time I put it on. Bleah.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g

Old February 27th 04, 08:00 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:09:28 GMT, Dane Jackson
wrote:
I like the convertible silca pump head. Mainly a presta, but you can
screw that off and use the schrader head underneath that. I wouldn't
buy it if I had a lot of schrader usage, but it's good enough for the
occasional use.

If you need to do it both ways often, get some quick disconnect
couplers and have separate, good quality heads. The couplers, and
schraeder heads, can be found at Home Depot in the pneumatic tool
department. Some work may be required to step-up the hose diameter.
--
Rick Onanian
Old February 27th 04, 09:00 PM
Luigi de Guzman

wrote:
I like the convertible silca pump head. Mainly a presta, but you can
screw that off and use the schrader head underneath that. I wouldn't
buy it if I had a lot of schrader usage, but it's good enough for the
occasional use.

If you need to do it both ways often, get some quick disconnect
couplers and have separate, good quality heads. The couplers, and
schraeder heads, can be found at Home Depot in the pneumatic tool
department. Some work may be required to step-up the hose diameter.

Um, so how about the Presta head?

-Luigi
Old February 27th 04, 09:46 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:00:31 -0500,
,
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
\snip
The couplers, and
schraeder heads, can be found at Home Depot in the pneumatic tool
department. Some work may be required to step-up the hose diameter.

Um, so how about the Presta head?

-Luigi

The heavy brass one by Silca is widely available at bike shops and
online.
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=626
--
zk