Why are bikes such a problem on airlines?

Old February 28th 04, 04:09 AM
Janet

Default Why are bikes such a problem on airlines?

Hi All,

I've read some of the threads about bikes on airlines. I just don't
understand why bicycles are such a problem for the airlines. I've never
tried to fly with my bicycle, but have flown several times with skiis.
For skiers, 1 ski bag + 1 boot bag = 1 piece of luggage. So essentially
a skier has 3 items - ski bag, boot bag, plus a regular suitcase. (Four
items if you also count a carry-on.) So I just don't understand why a
bike doesn't count as 1 piece of luggage????

Can someone explain this, or is the airlines policy so illogical that it
defies explanation?

Janet

Old February 28th 04, 06:22 AM
Ken

Janet wrote in news:7wU%b.51506$aH3.1578865@bgtnsc04-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
Can someone explain this, or is the airlines policy so illogical that it
defies explanation?

They charge you $100 because they can.
Old February 28th 04, 06:26 AM
Tim McNamara

Janet writes:

Hi All,

I've read some of the threads about bikes on airlines. I just don't
understand why bicycles are such a problem for the airlines.

They're big, fragile and the owners are complaintive when the
gorillas damage them. Airlines just don't want to have the hassle
and want you to leave your bike at home.
Old February 28th 04, 09:27 AM
Sergio SERVADIO

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Janet wrote:
Can someone explain this, or is the airlines policy so illogical that it
defies explanation?

Perhaps illogical, surely not transparent.

First of all Airline Companies no not behave all alike, nor each in a
consistent manner from time to time, or from Airport to Airport.

For example, in Pisa, with British Airways, I found it hard to get to know
for sure if a custom-made case (of 'odd' size, containing a frameset)
would eventually be accepted at the check-in.
Another parcel I had made, of similar dimensions, had been turned back by
Alitalia only because it didn't look right.

Walk up to the Check-in counter and just ask:

'What largest size would you accept?'
'Could it be a wooden box with a handle and a latch so as to make it
adequate for inspection?'

If they ask you 'What on earth would you put inside it?'
never answer:
'Oh, my bike!'.

Better say:
'That's none of your business, safety assured'.

Sergio
Pisa

Old February 28th 04, 02:06 PM
Mike Vermeulen

Can someone explain this, or is the airlines policy so illogical that it
defies explanation?

Not completely illogical, but certainly a patchwork that is (1) fairly
inconsistent (2) large price increase in last few years.

An airline is going to charge "what the market will bear". A bike can
be a large bulky item needing special handling. Despite disclaimers
everyone has to sign, a potential exists for an expensive claim.
Airlines will also charge for other special cases such as pets. The
airline market is an ogilopoly and if some carriers establish fees,
others can follow.

There has always been some inconsistency, but five years ago it felt
like the pattern was more like:
-- domestic flights charge ~$50
-- international flights count bike as one piece of luggage
as well as may base things on total weight
-- smaller/regional/economy airlines either don't make
provision for bikes or have unique rules (e.g. free, or
by weight or not allowed or ...)
-- ticket agents had discretion; approximately 1/3 of time
I went they'd look at that $50 fee and find a way to be
sympathetic and not charge the fee. Less true at large
carriers with much traffic.

This has been fairly stable from 15 to 5 years ago.

During the past few years, several of the fees have risen quickly so
that $80-$100 is closer to the price I see. At that rate, the
inconsistent comparisons with other things that fly free (oversize
trade show materials, skis,...) as well as to ticket price for a
passenger becomes more visible. Though an airline is going to price
more based on what the market bears than on such comparison... [in
same way that you and I might have nearly identical seats on the plane
but pay very different amounts for the journey].

I've flown 30 times with a bicycle and have paid more $$ for my
touring bike to United Airlines than I paid to Cannondale...I'm still
paying what market bears here, though have also shifted more to trains
or rental cars in some cases due to increased costs.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen
Old February 28th 04, 02:56 PM
TBGibb

In article , Janet
writes:

I've read some of the threads about bikes on airlines. I just don't
understand why bicycles are such a problem for the airlines. I've never
tried to fly with my bicycle, but have flown several times with skiis.
For skiers, 1 ski bag + 1 boot bag = 1 piece of luggage. So essentially
a skier has 3 items - ski bag, boot bag, plus a regular suitcase. (Four
items if you also count a carry-on.) So I just don't understand why a
bike doesn't count as 1 piece of luggage????

Can someone explain this, or is the airlines policy so illogical that it
defies explanation?

Sometimes a bicycle is just one piece of luggage. Other times it isn't.
Reasons: they can be awkward, they can be heavy, and the airlines would love a
little more money. I doubt it costs the airline $75 to put one on an airplane.

Tom Gibb
Old February 28th 04, 06:02 PM
Sergio SERVADIO

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Chuck Anderson wrote:
Better say:
'That's none of your business, safety assured'.

Not in this day and age. That answer would get you bumped off your
flight as a possible terrorist.
I can't imagine that answer as ever having been acceptable.

What's wrong with assuring that it is a safe parcel, and possibly letting
them inspect it, at request?

I do remember carrying a spare (new) gasoline tank for my decrepit FIAT
1100 on an International flight from Roma to JFK in 1971.
At that time hijacking was not so infrequent.
No problem to board the craft, to the bewilderment of my fellow
passengers.

Sergio
Pisa

Old February 28th 04, 11:06 PM
Chuck Anderson

Sergio SERVADIO wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Chuck Anderson wrote:
Better say:
'That's none of your business, safety assured'.

Not in this day and age. That answer would get you bumped off your
flight as a possible terrorist.
I can't imagine that answer as ever having been acceptable.

What's wrong with assuring that it is a safe parcel, and possibly letting
them inspect it, at request?

Saying, "That's none of your business. It is a safe parcel." is hardly
*reassuring* to a baggage inspector, .... wouldn't you think?

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Where are the inexpensive steel bikes? Werehatrack Techniques 32 June 24th 04 05:04 PM
"Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue" James Annan Mountain Biking 428 April 4th 04 08:59 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
biking problem and advice needed ( Help) Brock Bailey Mountain Biking 28 August 21st 03 06:37 PM