IS CRITICAL MASS HELPING OR HURTING US?

Old July 12th 05, 07:03 PM
thegaybicyclist

Default IS CRITICAL MASS HELPING OR HURTING US?

IS CRITICAL MASS HELPING OR HURTING US?

A recent editorial in Bicycle Retailer and Industry News argued that poorly
planned and executed Critical Mass rides were actually setting cyclists back
in their fight to improve cycling conditions on American roadways. The op-ed
piece gave me pause to consider the goals and strategies of Critical Mass.

Just in case you're not familiar with Critical Mass--Critical Mass is
essentially a rolling protest. Bicyclists in cities across the country meet
on appointed days to ride en masse through city streets and call attention
to the poor planning that has made riding a bike in urban areas as safe as
rolling around naked in a bathtub full of razor blades and rubbing alcohol.
The goals are good: make city streets safer for cyclists, decrease
Americaâ?Ts dependence on the automobile, etc. The means, however, are not
always so laudable.
Let me begin by noting that some Critical Mass rides are carefully organized
and well-executed affairs. The city and police force is made aware of the
scheduled ride well in advance, the cyclists ride along in a friendly and
organized manner, and their message is conveyed to the motorists idling
alongside them.

Many Critical Mass rides, however, are nothing short of a good reason to get
drunk, ride in a disorderly fashion and **** off the people you supposedly
want to influence. I've watched in San Francisco, for instance, as riders
jumped on car hoods, knocked over trash cans and blocked traffic. The Gen-X
crowd participating in the Critical Mass had a genuinely good time. The
motorists they might have made into allies, meanwhile, gritted their teeth
and probably plotted their next opportunity for vengeance. If your goal is
to persuade people to help you, you're missing the boat by ****ing off those
same people.

I used to work for the San Francisco Department of Public Health. Every
week, a branch of ACT UP! AIDS activists would arrive at our building on 101
Grove Street to attend a public meeting. While attending the meeting, they'd
invariably wind up showering the public health staff with cat feces and
spit. Their goal was to raise awareness of AIDS and spur on the local
government to halt the spread of AIDS. As a person who had cat **** flung on
their suit, I was, however, not impressed by the tactics of ACT UP! The
Department of Public Health was already working night and day to prevent the
spread of AIDS (this was in the early and mid-90s) and a good number of our
gay staff (I was one of the few straight men on my floor) had lost loved
ones to AIDS. In short, we understood quite well why the ACT UP! folks were
angry, but we sure as hell didn't need to have cat crap thrown at us to
bring the point home.

Whenever I watch a Critical Mass ride, I wonder just what purpose is being
served. I've seen some well-organized events in my new home of Buffalo, New
York. Unfortunately, I've seen few well-organized rides elsewhere, and
plenty of the disorganized, rolling riot events that the local news love to
show at 11 o'clock each night. Are we helping our cause or hurting it? Are
we trying to reach out to voters and local governments so that our roads are
improved, or are we just having a grand time screwing around beneath the
banner of a worthy cause? I don't have an answer. I just know that
alienating motorists and ****ing off people isn't going to improve things
for anyone on a bike.

http://bikemag.com/news/cutting_071003/index1.html

Old July 12th 05, 07:13 PM

In article ,
thegaybicyclist wrote:
A recent editorial in Bicycle Retailer and Industry News argued that poorly
planned and executed Critical Mass rides were actually setting cyclists back
in their fight to improve cycling conditions on American roadways. The op-ed
piece gave me pause to consider the goals and strategies of Critical Mass.

You are assuming that all the participants in critical mass are trying to
improve cycling conditions. A lot of them are just anarchists looking
for a free party.
Old July 12th 05, 07:54 PM
johnatau

"thegaybicyclist" wrote in message
[...]

I think most riders now are punks looking to start trouble

Old July 14th 05, 08:02 PM
NY Rides

Unfortunately, the psychology of many Critical Mass participants is the same
as the many people who post on these groups and brutally lash out at anybody
just for breathing.

I'm not sure why so many bicyclists are so angry. I got back into bicycling
to meet new people and to feel like part of some type of "family," sort of
the way motorcyclists do. Instead, I've come across mostly people who have
no interest in socializing or even being somewhat congenial.

It seems these are the same people who suddenly explode with hostile,
negative energy when the Critical Mass ride comes around. I think to
understand the CM phenomenon, we need to first understand what it is that
makes so many social misfits want to ride bicycles. Is it just the desire
to be part of a repressed minority - and therefore have a REASON to be so
mad at the world?

(A disclaimer: Please be assured that I have not stated and do not believe
that ALL bicyclists are this way. I, for one, am not.)

Old July 14th 05, 09:36 PM
jayson

What does a **** like you know about psychology?
Old July 18th 05, 06:43 AM
DuckofDeath

"johnatau" wrote in message
eenews.net...

[...]

I don't ride with them, they hurt the cause of bicycling.

Old July 19th 05, 03:14 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:43:43 -0500 in rec.bicycles.soc,
"DuckofDeath" wrote:

I don't ride with them, they hurt the cause of bicycling.

things are pretty bad for you trolls when you have to reply to
your own posts. PLONK.

Old July 19th 05, 04:51 PM
Paul R

"NY Rides" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget that CM happens all over the world. There's one in Toronto
every month that gets over 100 people during summer - rarely are there
serious incidents. It's generally a relaxed, happy affair marked by the
ringing of bells, cheers from spectators, the chatter of happy participants
and even the occasional honk of support from a motorist.

Sometimes, drivers try to barrel their way through the group and that's when
the anger comes out - but that's a direct result of a driver threatening our
safety at a rare time that we actually feel safe.

As for the anger that many cyclists display - well I think that's directly
related to how amazingly frustrating it can be to ride a bike in the city.
We get it from all sides - pedestrians, drivers, transit, trucks - sometimes
it feels like they're all conspiring together to make life miserable for
cyclists - when we commuter cyclists are doing everyone else a favour by not
driving.

Regards,
Paul

Old July 23rd 05, 05:32 PM
maxo

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:51:56 -0400, Paul R wrote:

Don't forget that CM happens all over the world. There's one in Toronto
every month that gets over 100 people during summer - rarely are there
serious incidents. It's generally a relaxed, happy affair marked by the
ringing of bells, cheers from spectators, the chatter of happy
participants and even the occasional honk of support from a motorist.

Now that sounds fantastic!! I'd ride with ya'll in a heartbeat.

The Chicago ones I've ridden with are indeed spoiled by arrogant
neohippiecyclists whose mission seems to be driven by aggression and
inflated self regard. Often the rides start great, with waves and smiles
and rings, but end in most of the riders leaving in disgust and perhaps an
arrest. No thanks.

Old July 24th 05, 08:52 AM
Sue

"maxo" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:51:56 -0400, Paul R wrote:

Don't forget that CM happens all over the world. There's one in Toronto
every month that gets over 100 people during summer - rarely are there
serious incidents. It's generally a relaxed, happy affair marked by the
ringing of bells, cheers from spectators, the chatter of happy
participants and even the occasional honk of support from a motorist.

Now that sounds fantastic!! I'd ride with ya'll in a heartbeat.

The Chicago ones I've ridden with are indeed spoiled by arrogant
neohippiecyclists whose mission seems to be driven by aggression and
inflated self regard. Often the rides start great, with waves and smiles
and rings, but end in most of the riders leaving in disgust and perhaps an
arrest. No thanks.

That happen to me once in Austin Texas where CM caused an accident, and beat
up the driver, it was all caught on film on a CM websight - austinbicycles
It is obvious they caused the accident surrounded him dragged him out of the
car, cut his tires, beat him severely.

Never again.