Front axle, what thread?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 13th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Front axle, what thread?

On 2017-11-13 10:29, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/13/2017 12:21 PM, Joerg wrote:

I just noticed that finding a 9mm solid axle from CroMo is
very tough. The ones I found were all non-metric or
sealed-hub BMX. Or no key-way which can make a front wheel
removal in the field hard. I'll probably visit some shops
that sell and service used bikes which is where I bought my
last CroMo rear axle for the old MTB (after which it didn't
bend or break anymore).

You haven't really looked:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Dur...gAAOSwk9dZnPkv

cheaper for a new complete hub:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-HB-...kAAOSwr6pZ9M1K

Not so fond of a used axle but do you know whether the HB-TX500 has a
CroMo axle or is otherwise sturdy enough for heavy trail use? I'd have
to find some nuts as well but that should be easy.

I'm curious what failure mode you expect in a standard steel solid front
axle.

The failure modes I have experienced several times:

1. Bending.

2. Broken through (not just cracked but split apart).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/