What muscles ache

Old October 15th 04, 12:14 AM
DaveB

Default What muscles ache

hippy wrote:

I always had trouble with overdoing stretches "cold" before
a run (when I used to attempt to run) so I stopped and
found that doing them afterwards with warmed muscles
was less risky.

Me too. I found the best warmup for running was the fact that I run so
slow. In fact I think my running could almost be seen as a warmup for
stretching for riding.

DaveB

Old October 17th 04, 08:12 AM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
What did you get in the way of hamstring stretches? Is it something you
can explain in a post or do we need to cover a stretching program in the
next BR. My favourite hamstring stretch at the moment is to lie in a
doorway and put one leg at a time up on the doorframe, pushing against
the frame, and then each stretch moving a bit closer to the frame. Now
that the half marathon is over I've got a deep tissue massgae happening
tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to. Hopefully I'll be in good
shape for Sunday.

There are no stupid questions, right? (just stupid people)..
What exactly is a "deep tissue massage" and does
it have any actual benefit?

A nice rub from someone (preferably opposite sex,
scantily clad, etc, etc.. ) is good but perhaps not
useful for improving muscle performance?
Does a deep tissue massage simply involve applying
more pressure to the muscles?

The stretching routine I received from my physio took
about 30min to get through, typically doing two 20sec
holds on each limb/area. Zero pain after race today
which could be the stretching? I just checked and the
speed today was only marginally lower than last week.

hippy

Old October 17th 04, 09:54 AM
DaveB

hippy wrote:

There are no stupid questions, right? (just stupid people)..
What exactly is a "deep tissue massage" and does
it have any actual benefit?

This is based on the masseur I see so others may vary, but it's largely
based on pressure points. The theory is that if you apply significant
pressure to those points the muscle gets overloaded and goes from very
stressed to very relaxed. I used it in the past as a migraine prevention
on some key muscles around the neck. The thing with it is, that it
really puts those muscles through a workout, so it's not the sort of
thing you would do just before a big event. AT the end of a half hr
session I'm nackered, but the muscles that were tight are now very relaxed.

I use it for nagging injuries that won't come good, like my current
hamstring problem.

DaveB

Old October 17th 04, 10:50 PM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:
There are no stupid questions, right? (just stupid people)..
What exactly is a "deep tissue massage" and does
it have any actual benefit?

A nice rub from someone (preferably opposite sex,
scantily clad, etc, etc.. ) is good but perhaps not
useful for improving muscle performance?
Does a deep tissue massage simply involve applying
more pressure to the muscles?

snip

Relaxation massage loosens surface muscles, gets some blood into them
and into the skin and makes you feel pretty good

Deep tissue massage gets rid of the deep knots and waste products in
your muscles. It leaves you tired and sore, sometimes bruised, and
you'll feel a bit flat for about 24 hours. If I reach a "can't do the
splits" day I go get deep tissue massage and loosen up my hip flexors
and glutes and can do them again. They help you recover, and in a few
days you feel brilliant!

Hardest decision I made wrt running was when my calves were massively
knotted 3 days out from a half marathon. They had been cramping every
time I ran, but I knew if I got them worked on I would be bruised for
the race. I told the massage therapist to hit them as hard as he needed,
so he got stuck in with his elbows. They were bruised and sore, but at
least they didn't cramp during the race.
Old October 17th 04, 11:27 PM
hippy

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Hardest decision I made wrt running was when my calves were massively
knotted 3 days out from a half marathon. They had been cramping every
time I ran, but I knew if I got them worked on I would be bruised for
the race. I told the massage therapist to hit them as hard as he needed,
so he got stuck in with his elbows. They were bruised and sore, but at
least they didn't cramp during the race.

Standard training/racing pain not enough for you guys?

hippy
it must be a running thing ;-)

Old October 17th 04, 11:47 PM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Hardest decision I made wrt running was when my calves were massively
knotted 3 days out from a half marathon. They had been cramping every
time I ran, but I knew if I got them worked on I would be bruised for
the race. I told the massage therapist to hit them as hard as he needed,
so he got stuck in with his elbows. They were bruised and sore, but at
least they didn't cramp during the race.

Standard training/racing pain not enough for you guys?

hippy
it must be a running thing ;-)

It's one of those hurt now, not later things. If I don't get stuff
worked on, I run awkwardly and do damage. I notice it on my bike, but I
wonder if I would notice it if I hadn't seen it in running first.

Old October 19th 04, 12:39 PM
Claes

I have read from a pro cyclist, interested in ergo on the bike, that i
your hams burn most, particularly after a climb, you are sitting to
far back, if you quads hurt more, too far forward. Not sure if this i
it though.
I just got back on a bike and get pain in the absolut top of the calf
Both sides. I hope it is just due to not being used to cycling, but
was off the bike for a month due to a trip to Europe, and the pain jus
disappeared at the end of the month, today back on the bike I felt i
just slightly at the start. I would appreciate any tips. Does not hur
when stretching, but I can sometimes feel it when walking. Not sur
what it is

--
Claes

Old October 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Tamyka Bell

Claes wrote:

I have read from a pro cyclist, interested in ergo on the bike, that if
your hams burn most, particularly after a climb, you are sitting too
far back, if you quads hurt more, too far forward. Not sure if this is
it though.
I just got back on a bike and get pain in the absolut top of the calf.
Both sides. I hope it is just due to not being used to cycling, but I
was off the bike for a month due to a trip to Europe, and the pain just
disappeared at the end of the month, today back on the bike I felt it
just slightly at the start. I would appreciate any tips. Does not hurt
when stretching, but I can sometimes feel it when walking. Not sure
what it is.

--
Claes

Sounds like peroneus problems. Dig your thumb in above where it's sore,
pushing it into the bone, and move your foot around for about 30
seconds. Adjust your thumb position to move down your leg and repeat.
It's usually due to either tight ITB or too much ankle movement (from
e.g. overpronation)
Old October 20th 04, 01:50 AM
Claes

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Sounds like peroneus problems. Dig your thumb in above where it'
sore,
pushing it into the bone, and move your foot around for about 30
seconds. Adjust your thumb position to move down your leg and repeat.
It's usually due to either tight ITB or too much ankle movement (from
e.g. overpronation)

Huh? I do not pronate at all, I suppinate, at least when walking an
running.
What do you mean whey you say the ankle moves to much? In wha
direction, horisontal or vertical or?
What is the ITB? I am not a native english speaker so go gentle on me.
You seem to know what you are talking about and I really appreciat
your advice.

Cheers

--
Claes

Old October 20th 04, 02:17 AM
Tamyka Bell

Claes wrote:

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Sounds like peroneus problems. Dig your thumb in above where it's
sore,
pushing it into the bone, and move your foot around for about 30
seconds. Adjust your thumb position to move down your leg and repeat.
It's usually due to either tight ITB or too much ankle movement (from
e.g. overpronation)

Huh? I do not pronate at all, I suppinate, at least when walking and
running.
What do you mean whey you say the ankle moves to much? In what
direction, horisontal or vertical or?
What is the ITB? I am not a native english speaker so go gentle on me.
You seem to know what you are talking about and I really appreciate
your advice.

Cheers.

I may seem to know what I'm talking about but it's personal experience
not professional knowledge so if other people disagree listen to them,
they're probably smarter

Supination would make more sense... I get peroneus problems when running
in shoes with too much pronation control i.e. they roll me out too far.
The problem for me is that the muscles need to work hard to roll my
ankle back in, so my lateral side gets sore.

In cycling this would translate to lots of lateral movement in the
ankle, possible combined with excessive vertical movement but more
likely to be teamed with weird knee movement. I think the biggest thing
that has helped me is to focus on knees moving in a straight line and
let your ankles do what they have to. If your cleats don't have lateral
movement consider getting ones that do to allow the foot to move as it
needs to, to prevent tension in the muscles.

ITB is iliotibial band. It runs down the outside of your thigh from your
hip (front and back - the Tensor Fascia Latae (sp?) and Gluteals) to
your tibia (the big shin bone) and can grate on the outside of your knee
if it gets too tight. If you haven't had ITB probs running it's unlikely
you would get them cycling.

Your english as a second language looks better than my native english!

how to grow lungs & muscles ? Randy W. Sims General 42 September 6th 05 10:58 PM
completely different muscles LSMike UK 0 August 10th 05 08:32 AM
Ache city dude Callas UK 3 August 2nd 04 03:55 PM
Muscles used for Hopping High? andrew_carter Unicycling 3 March 29th 04 05:41 AM
ear ache in cooler weather yuri budilov General 13 March 17th 04 11:19 PM