What muscles ache

Old October 9th 04, 12:07 AM
DaveB

Default What muscles ache

I had the masseur working on my hamstrings and calves yesterday which
have been giving me grief for months now. We were trying to work out
what's going on because with the amount of training I'm doing I have
calves and hamstrings that could be described as feeling permanently
tight. But the quads never feel sore, even after the longest rides or
runs, on the flat or on the hills. She was thinking it's a
posture/pelvic position problem which I assumed is caused by running,
but now I'm wondering if it's the cycling as well. So my question is,
after you've been for a long ride what leg muscles hurt? And does it
make a difference if you've been climbing?

DaveB

Old October 9th 04, 02:11 AM
ritcho

DaveB Wrote:
I had the masseur working on my hamstrings and calves yesterday which
have been giving me grief for months now. We were trying to work out
what's going on because with the amount of training I'm doing I have
calves and hamstrings that could be described as feeling permanently
tight. But the quads never feel sore, even after the longest rides or
runs, on the flat or on the hills. She was thinking it's a
posture/pelvic position problem which I assumed is caused by running,
but now I'm wondering if it's the cycling as well. So my question is,
after you've been for a long ride what leg muscles hurt? And does it
make a difference if you've been climbing?

DaveB

I don't know about climbing, but cycling tends to tighten the
hamstrings - you need to include stretching sessions as an important
part of your training. I always feel better when I'm stretching
regularly.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old October 9th 04, 03:19 AM
flyingdutch

ritcho Wrote:
I don't know about climbing, but cycling tends to tighten the hamstring
- you need to include stretching sessions as an important part of you
training. I always feel better when I'm stretching regularly.

Ritch

cant say i ever actually get pain as such after riding. plenty goin
up hills, but little after.
I feel wobbly/tired walking DOWN stairs afterwards if its been
long/hard ride
(comical scenes years ago when i rode up to Cradle Mountain, hiked up
ate lunch then proceeded to walk down and found legs were havin
problems 'locking' the knees back. Almost sprinted/fell the whole wa
down...).

Could you perhaps be iding with feet pointed 'down' rather than keepin
he heel down? Shall check you out on next BR youare on..

--
flyingdutc

Old October 9th 04, 04:19 AM
Dej

"DaveB" wrote in message
I had the masseur working on my hamstrings and calves yesterday which have
been giving me grief for months now. We were trying to work out what's
going on because with the amount of training I'm doing I have calves and
hamstrings that could be described as feeling permanently tight. But the
quads never feel sore, even after the longest rides or runs, on the flat or
on the hills. She was thinking it's a posture/pelvic position problem which
I assumed is caused by running, but now I'm wondering if it's the cycling
as well. So my question is, after you've been for a long ride what leg
muscles hurt? And does it make a difference if you've been climbing?

DaveB

after hard riding i find my quads burn when walking upstairs at work for a
few days after the ride.
the hamstrings do get tight but never really sore, calves rarely get sore as
well.
i only get sore calves when i run, which lately has been rarely

Old October 9th 04, 05:13 AM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
I had the masseur working on my hamstrings and calves yesterday which
have been giving me grief for months now. We were trying to work out
what's going on because with the amount of training I'm doing I have
calves and hamstrings that could be described as feeling permanently
tight. But the quads never feel sore, even after the longest rides or
runs, on the flat or on the hills. She was thinking it's a
posture/pelvic position problem which I assumed is caused by running,
but now I'm wondering if it's the cycling as well. So my question is,
after you've been for a long ride what leg muscles hurt? And does it
make a difference if you've been climbing?

I just got back from 4hrs riding (so many voter cars grr)
I have a sore back which is due to tight hamstrings and
a sore neck which is due to running into a car.
The back issue is my own fault though.. I've stopped
doing my stretching routine. Bad hippy!
My leg muscles are only sore (not tired/sore, sore/sore) if
I've done something 'outside the square I cycle in' like
overdoing high cadence drills.. I've strained hip-flexors
doing those.. and I still can't crack 200bpm on the Polar!
198bpm is pretty close though.
I might visit a physio or massuer or something for back
and neck and then start stretching again.

hippy

Old October 12th 04, 01:02 PM
Jhikers

DaveB Wrote:
with the amount of training I'm doing I have
calves and hamstrings that could be described as feeling permanently
tight.

If you exercise then your muscles will tighten, and tighten, an
tighten.
Massage is the way to loosen them and stretching will put length bac
into them. 'feeling permanently tight' - looks like you need a goo
session of DEEP tissue massage. If you are training most days
recommend a massage once a week... 100%.

If you feel you are using your hamstrings too much and no quads - chec
your saddle position. Moving the seat back brings in the hamstrings an
forward will engage the quads more.

Cycling will always affect the hamstrings - but it is possible t
'switch off' the calves if you concentrate on relaxing them and usin
your quads as the powerhouse

--
Jhikers

Old October 13th 04, 12:40 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

I just got back from 4hrs riding (so many voter cars grr)
I have a sore back which is due to tight hamstrings and
a sore neck which is due to running into a car.
The back issue is my own fault though.. I've stopped
doing my stretching routine. Bad hippy!

snip
hippy

Bad, bad, hippy.

No tofu for you.
Old October 13th 04, 01:00 AM
hippy

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
hippy wrote:

I just got back from 4hrs riding (so many voter cars grr)
I have a sore back which is due to tight hamstrings and
a sore neck which is due to running into a car.
The back issue is my own fault though.. I've stopped
doing my stretching routine. Bad hippy!

Bad, bad, hippy.
No tofu for you.

So I can have the steak instead?

I went to the physio yesterday. He massaged my kneck
and zapped it with the ultrasound. There was actually no
pain at all which I'm putting down to the 30degC weather.
I also got him to show me some hamstring stretches and
glute stretches. Hopefully once I get back into the routine
I wont have post-race leg pain or post-ride back pain..

hippy

Old October 13th 04, 01:06 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote

Bad, bad, hippy.
No tofu for you.

So I can have the steak instead?

Nope, I ate it already. You stick with that physio and those stretches
and I might give you some steak later.

Old October 13th 04, 01:51 AM
hippy

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
hippy wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
Bad, bad, hippy.
No tofu for you.

So I can have the steak instead?

Nope, I ate it already. You stick with that physio and those stretches
and I might give you some steak later.

Promise? I stretched last night and this
morning - does that maybe get me a small
piece? ;-)

I'll get another neck rub from the physio on
Friday as well as collecting some printouts
detailing the stretches I asked about. The
tricky part is remembering to do them.

hippy

how to grow lungs & muscles ? Randy W. Sims General 42 September 6th 05 10:58 PM
completely different muscles LSMike UK 0 August 10th 05 08:32 AM
Ache city dude Callas UK 3 August 2nd 04 03:55 PM
Muscles used for Hopping High? andrew_carter Unicycling 3 March 29th 04 05:41 AM
ear ache in cooler weather yuri budilov General 13 March 17th 04 11:19 PM