Gratuitous stack?

Old July 25th 03, 12:27 AM
scott

Default Gratuitous stack?

Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

Old July 25th 03, 12:40 AM
Ken

scott wrote in news:%XZTa.34455$Ma.7744299
@news1.telusplanet.net:
http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

The buyer (or shop) is always welcome to cut the steering tube down once they
figure out what handlebar height they want. Manufacturers are wise to leave
the tube tall to fit a wide range of buyers.

BTW - in this case, the stem appears to already be angled down, so flipping
it would *raise* the handlebar.
Old July 25th 03, 01:04 AM
jim beam

BTW - in this case, the stem appears to already be angled down, so flipping
it would *raise* the handlebar.

....thereby allowing you to cut off excess steering tube & spacers
bringing the bar back to original height. n'est pas?

Old July 25th 03, 02:07 AM
Fred Clydesdale

In article ,
scott wrote:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

doesn't look excessive to me...but i'm sporting a gratuitous 5cm
myself. and what's worse is that i alternated black and silver
spacers, to even call MORE attention to it.

quick, somebody do the math: how many grams did it cost me?

phred
Old July 25th 03, 02:10 AM
Eric Murray

In article ,
scott wrote:
Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
and a stem that points down says "racer"... even
if its on a stack of spacers. Some frames even
have extra-long head tubes to allow one to use
a "racer" downward angled stem without the discomfort
of a real racer's low bar position.

Eric

Old July 25th 03, 04:50 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Some people think that a stem that points up says "fred"
and a stem that points down says "racer"... even

Simply put, "dork" factor.

if its on a stack of spacers. Some frames even
have extra-long head tubes to allow one to use
a "racer" downward angled stem without the discomfort
of a real racer's low bar position.

How lame is that? I always thought that bikes with long head tubes and
thus, top tubes that weren't parallel with the ground, looked like circus
bikes and ridiculous anyways. The geometry that looks "correct" to most
people most of the time is a horizontal top tube, chainstays, and a short
headtube.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 25th 03, 05:36 AM
Werehatrack

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:27:55 GMT, scott may have
said:

Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

Perhaps they feel that leaving the tube length provides the purchaser
with more options.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old July 25th 03, 01:27 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:36:30 GMT, KBH wrote:
BTW - does anyone know where I can get a 5 cm spacer? Right nwo I have 5
1cm spacers, and as they don't fit snug on the steerer, they don't line
up all neatly. A 5 would be nice.

Nashbar offers a 2cm spacer in this kit:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ype=&estoreid=

--
Rick Onanian
Old July 25th 03, 01:48 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Fred Clydesdale wrote in message
In article ,
scott wrote:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

doesn't look excessive to me...but i'm sporting a gratuitous 5cm
myself. and what's worse is that i alternated black and silver
spacers, to even call MORE attention to it.

Huh, that's _nothing_! I got about the same stack (mebbe bit more.....), but
I have alternated, black, silver, and blue ano! So, 'ner'!

quick, somebody do the math: how many grams did it cost me?

A fortune, probably.

Shaun aRe - not counting grams in his 36lb world.

Old July 25th 03, 03:03 PM
ajames54

wrote:

Consider the following bicycle photo:

http://www.ifbikes.com/frames2/ticrownjewel_p1.shtml

Why not flip the stem and skip the stack of spacers for the exact same
bar position and less weight and flex?

My road bike has a quill stem, I raise it at the begining of the
season and slowly lower it as I get more flexible... The only
Ahead-set bike I have still has over 2cm of spacers on top of
the stem. One of these days I may decide I wont need it and cut
it off but it is very difficult to add it back on if I decide I
need it.

It is all about giving the customer choice ... (and the fact that
these headsets were/are a stupid idea in the first place YMMV)

If you always remember to
Be true to your self ...
Believe in your dreams ...
And aim for the stars .......

You will still always get beaten by those who
Worked harder
Studied longer
And just weren't as damn lazy as you.

(paraphrase of Terry Pratchet from WFM)