Campus riding

Old November 12th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surndr

Default Campus riding

Hey, I am going to college next semester, and am trying to figure out
some things about riding on campus. (yes I have searched the forums)
so here are some questions I have
1. have you ever gotten in trouble for riding on campus
2. how do you keep it safe when you are in class?
3.? any other comment or what ever that you have
thanks

--
surndr

Am I supposed to say something amazing here ?
Old November 12th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
disgruntleddave

1. You shouldn't be able to get in trouble for riding it on campus. I've
read that in most places (states), you are considered a pedestrian on a
unicycle (non chained). So unless your campus has a by law specifically
stating that unicycles are not allowed or something, you follow the law
and you're a pedestrian.

2. If you have a smaller uni, take it in to class with you. It'll also
be a talking point. If not, I guess you could try to lock it up.

--
disgruntleddave
Old November 12th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

When I was going to the University of Saskatchewan I was learning to
ride. I would lock my unicycle to the bike racks while I was in class. I
never got in trouble and it was a great conversation starter.

After I dropped out of university I went to SIAST (a tech school) and
since classes were a lot smaller and things were more informal I just
brought my unicycle into the class with me. I was usually using my 36er
while at SIAST.

My department head told me that I should at least be on two wheels one
time after I came in from a blizzard, he sort of had a point as I fell
on ice and hurt my hip that day.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 12th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

I haven't gotten in trouble for just commuting. I was told to "stop
doing that" a couple of times by security personnel for doing tricks,
but no one seems to care when I just ride it around.

If you can, bring it into class with you. If not, you can try locking
it up, but I'm always a little worried when I do that... Bike theft is
fairly common on campus, and a unicycle could draw attention. My 24"
has a 'little lock loop'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55165) on it so that
I can feel a little safer when I lock it up.

--
Spudman
Old November 13th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surndr

my uni is a 24 inch so it is somewhat small i suppose. that is a good
idea with the locking "loop" I am going to see if my shop teacher could
rig that up on mine...

Old November 13th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timekeeper

I never brought mine to class (at UC Santa Barbara) but I never had an
issue with riding it on pedestrian paths. My friend Oren takes his into
class with him, and I think Spencer does also. Also, skateboarders are
allowed to ride on pedestrian paths, but a lot of people dislike them.
So just don't crash into people and I think it'll all be okay.

--
timekeeper
Old November 13th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dudewithasock

1) I've never been yelled at by a fellow student or university official
for unicycling (well, apart from positive stuff). Everyone here seems to
love it.

2) I lock mine up at bike wraps with a cable-lock that i just hook
through the spokes and around the metal bars. Occasionally when I forget
to grab my lock on the way out, I'll bring it in class, and no prof has
seemed to mind.

Campus riding is immensely fun, and you'll become addicted quickly,
especially if your campus is large like mine. I live on the thing when
I'm not in class or my dorm.

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.

spazdude222 wrote:
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a
girl.

Old November 13th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
b.King

Campus riding is great, I commute about 3 miles to U of Louisville. Fun
things I have done include:

Meeting another unicyclist

Racing a segway (for about 50ft, i smoked him!)

Getting on the new (that was at UT though, see my youtube)

I was riding trials with CT (mouse on the forums) and one of his
friends at IU once and we did get hassled by the campus police.
Fortunately they came while we were taking a break and we were able to
convince them that we weren't doing any "tricks"

--
b.King

Ben: http://www.youtube.com/user/bksk1lz

"The complexity is a term that is inversely related to the degree of
understanding"
-Yuri Lazebnik
Old November 13th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surndr

Thanks for the ideas I guess I will just take it into class with me.
Dudewithasock do you go to Texas A&M ?

Old November 13th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

Unicycling around campus is fine for me. I do tricks around my campus...
hopping up picnic tables and rocks and such. I even bring my 36er to my
classes and no one seems to mind... Just don't ride it inside.
Apparently it's not appreciated by security and other staff. I even have
an official letter to prove that.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O