Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 9th 18, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On 09/09/2018 08:59 AM, Jimbore at the trailer trash park ... wrote:
I used to flash volvos to tell them their lights were on during the day and
also flash them to tell them there lights were off and should be on during
the day .....now every buggers font lights are on...no fun any more.....

I had a car with DRL. I got pulled over by a cop who alleged ifthe
headlights were on and the tail lights weren't. the tail lights must be
broken. "Listen, you silly ****, did you get out of cop school yesterday?'

Being a motorcyclist I don't appreciate giving up whatever minimal
advantage of having the headlight on ever brought.
Old September 9th 18, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:26:59 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 08:59 AM, Jimbore at the trailer trash park ... wrote:
I used to flash volvos to tell them their lights were on during the day and
also flash them to tell them there lights were off and should be on during
the day .....now every buggers font lights are on...no fun any more.....

I had a car with DRL. I got pulled over by a cop who alleged ifthe
headlights were on and the tail lights weren't. the tail lights must be
broken. "Listen, you silly ****, did you get out of cop school yesterday?'

The cop was correct, if a car has headlights on when the tailights aren't, then it's designed wrongly.

Being a motorcyclist I don't appreciate giving up whatever minimal
advantage of having the headlight on ever brought.

Lights are to draw attention. So we notice ambulances, motorbikes, etc. Having every single vehicle draw attention removes that.
Old September 9th 18, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:22:50 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 08:10 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I hate anyone who uses headlights during broad daylight. They get my
full beam back.

And I hate anyone with HID lights at any time.

WTF is a HID?
Old September 9th 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:21:29 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 01:11 AM, Jimbore at the trailer trash park ... wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars, making them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed, etc. So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't get them
the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing anymore.

the problem is when I'm cycling I hate motorists and bikers......when I'm on
a bike I hate cyclists and motorists......when I'm in my car I hate bikers
and motorists........wonder what will happen when I get and build up my
escooter and ride on the road and in cycle lanes and bus
lanes.......probably hate EVERYBODY......except myself for having discovered
the best way to travel around locally ....

You left a few out... When I'm walking in the woods I hate mountain
bikers, unless I'm on a mountain bike of course. If I'm on my dualsport
motorcycle, both are unacceptable. Horses are a pain in the ass no
matter what my mode of transportation is. That goes double if I'm trying
to ride the damn thing.

Oh, and quads suck. Until I get too old to deal with two wheels and then
I guess a quad would be okay.

I really ****ed off a horserider once. I was driving a very old Range Rover automatic which had a conversion to LPG. It very often misfired, made loud bangs, and changed gear without warning. I managed to cause a small explosion and a loud revving of the engine just as I passed a horserider coming the other way along a narrow country road. The horse **** itself, and so did the rider.
Old September 9th 18, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:15:30 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 10:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74 and
the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car was
not designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

Mine was a manual and did that fine.

This was also a manual and would do 55 in 4th but the engine was at the
low end of its rpm range. Much of a hill and you had to drop a gear and
I lived in a mountainous area. I have a bike that had the same problem
with 45, a very common speed limit around town. At least I could change
a sprocket and get 45 to match a useful part of the rpm range.

How odd, I've never had a car that won't go down to 30mph in 5th gear, nevermind 4th.

The strangest part was the plug wires. At around 15,000 miles you would
go out in the morning and it wouldn't start. No misfiring or any other
symptom, just no go. Replace the wires and you were good for another
15,000. I carried a set of spares. I never dug further after figuring
out the problem but I assume the primitive computer had a range of
parameters and a German sense of humor about non-conformity.

What are plug wires? Do you mean HT leads?
Old September 9th 18, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:39:30 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 22:22:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 20:46:05 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:47:18 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote

When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,

Yes.

making them less efficient,

Nope, more efficient.

using a lower gear,

Nope.

The most efficient speed for a car is to travel in top gear at low
revs
without causing the engine to splutter,

Hardly anyone drives like that.

When I'm in a bunch of traffic going 40mph, I'm in 5th gear driving
economically.

Hardly anyone drives like that.

I drive around town in 3rd and only use 4th in the higher speed limit
areas
if in one for a while. Only use 5th gear when in the 100Km or 110Km
areas.

You must have really congested towns.

Nope.

Then why can't you get up to 5th?

I can, but it wont go around corners in the gear, so no point.

I do in fact often leave it in 5th when going thru a village
with its 50Km speed limit which has the 100Km speed
limit on the roads outside it, but they don't have corners
in the bit of the road you use moving thru that village.

I can sit happily in 5th at 30 or 40mph.

Bull****, and hardly anyone is stupid enough to do that in 5th anyway.

Why waste fuel in a lower gear?

I'm not a desperate pov that needs to use the
minimum of fuel and it's a very fuel efficient car in
the first place, when using 3rd and 2nd around town.

If the engine will run comfortably in top gear, then do so.

It doesn't round corners in 5th.

But cyclists don't go that fast.

Most arent actually stupid enough to stay
in 5th except when there are cyclists.

Why would someone be more likely to stay in 5th with cyclists?

It's the exact opposite.

Is English not your first language?

Clearly it isnt yours.

overtaking, changing speed, etc.

They do that anyway even without the cyclists.

Wrong, they pick the speed they like and stick to it.

Nope, they drive at the speed the speed limit allows.

Most ignore the limit

But only go a bit above that.

Usually 10-15mph over.

BULL****.

Then you must have more vicious law enforcement than the UK.

We do indeed.

Most folk here ignore the limits except when there's a police camera.

But don't drive at 10-15mph over the
speed limit because of the congestion.

And you get warned of those by folk coming the other way flashing lights
at you.

Any cop car here can do you for speeding,
and the don't have to be stationary either.

and drive at an economical speed.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Certainly a steady one

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

and certainly in top gear.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

At least try to engage in the conversation.

I did.

You pasted the same crap 3 times at the end.

Because that was relevant to all 3 of those pathetic excuses for trolls of
yours.

Old September 9th 18, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:09:08 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 03:35:36 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/08/2018 05:49 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
My friend says Audis are good, although the parts are ****ing expensive.

I bought mine in '72 and Volkswagen was still figuring out how to build
cars with the engine and drivetrain in the front. I'd went in to buy a
Porsche 914 but realized that wasn't going to work. With some sort of
German ingenuity it had less room than my Sprite.

Have you seen the newest (well last 5 or 10 years actually) Ford Mondeos?
The centre console (where the radio goes) has become ****ing huge.
There's zero legroom anymore. I don't understand why they've got that big
lump in there.

When we divorced I kept the Lincoln and my wife took the Audi. She
traded it for a Rabbit (Golf) and got almost nothing for it. She liked
the Rabbit. I rode in it a couple of times and it seemed like a nice
ride.

It's very good indeed, especially the autos. Mine was a '98.

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74 and
the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car was not
designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

My current car (Renault Scenic)

What year ?

02.

can be doing 90mph in top gear on the motorway, and before I know it I'm
going 120. It's bloody difficult to drive slowly.

Manual or auto ?

Manual.

Once you lot are out of the EU, you'll have decent Korean cars available

Like Dacia and Daiwoo? Loads of them about already.

tho given you don't buy new, it will take a while to happen for you.

At the rate the morons with more sense than money buy new cars, there's loads available, the price drops very very fast.

And you own much older vehicles than me.
Old September 9th 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 15:59:57 +0100, Jimbore at the trailer trash park ...
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 14:21:30 +0100, Jimbore at the trailer trash park

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 08:11:06 +0100, Jimbore at the trailer trash park

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

I just hate anyone who either travels slower than me, or doesn't
****ing
indicate or obey the rules of priority at junctions.

I hate neds in fart cans .........all leased bmw and audi drivers
.......and donors on plastic fantastics ........

I hate anyone who uses headlights during broad daylight. They get my
full
beam back.

I used to flash volvos to tell them their lights were on during the day
and
also flash them to tell them there lights were off and should be on
during
the day .....now every buggers font lights are on...no fun any more.....

It's quite simple,

Nope.

lights are to illuminate things when it's dark.

They are also to make things stand out more when its light.

If it's light lights must all be off.

Pity about the brake lights.

Anyone who doesn't understand this simple concept is an utter moron.

Anyone who doesn't understand what the flashing blue
and red lights on emergency vehicles and brake lights
and indicator light on a car are for is a moron.

You don't go out for a walk at midday with a ****ing torch/flashlight do
you?

Even you uses indicator and brake lights on other cars.

Old September 9th 18, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 18:40:53 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Sep 2018 02:13:35 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:20:05 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/08/2018 12:23 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 19:11:17 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/08/2018 06:51 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
When a cyclist uses a busy road, he slows down all the cars,
making
them
less efficient, using a lower gear, overtaking, changing speed,
etc.
So
you *******s aren't green at all.

Around here they just run over the cyclists. If the F350 doesn't
get
them the horse trailer will..

I'm becoming a pussy in my old age and really like dedicated bike
paths.
Sharing narrow, shoulderless roads with traffic isn't my thing
anymore.

Sharing them when there's a cycle path right next to the bloody road
is
insanity, yet they all do it around here.

I've seen that. They are usually dressed in gaily colored Lycra to
boot.

They're all homosexuals.

Says the poofter that shaves its legs.

Preference for hair is not equal to preference for sex.

In reality it is with males. And the poofters don't just
shave their legs apparently.

Body hair is wrong, end of story. It's what apes have. The more advanced
you are, the smoother you are.

Shaving your legs doesn't make you more advanced, just stupid.

And nothing advanced about this obscenity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairless_dog

I wear the same clothes as I would when out walking.

Which is no clothes at all.

True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Why are you scared of the cold?

I'm not, I prefer to be comfortable.

You do realise that humans are warm blooded?

Tell that to those who have died of hypothermia.

Not close fitting lycra and hi vis safety ****.

Old September 9th 18, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

In its defense Nixon imposed a 55 mph national speed limit in '74
and the cops were really enforcing it for a couple of years. The car
was not designed to do 55 except as a blip on the way to 90.

Mine was a manual and did that fine.

This was also a manual and would do 55 in 4th
but the engine was at the low end of its rpm range.

Don't buy that.

Much of a hill and you had to drop a gear

Or that either.

and I lived in a mountainous area.

The strangest part was the plug wires. At around 15,000
miles you would go out in the morning and it wouldn't
start. No misfiring or any other symptom, just no go.

Never saw that either.

Replace the wires and you were good for another 15,000.

I never changed mine in vastly more miles than that.

Mine was a much earlier model than yours tho, 73.

I carried a set of spares. I never dug further after figuring out the
problem but I assume the primitive computer had a range of
parameters and a German sense of humor about non-conformity.

Likely, mine has no computer at all.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM