Returning a bike

Old July 25th 07, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Haggis McMutton

Default Returning a bike

I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?
Old July 25th 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

One would imagine that the company that delivered it to you is able to
transport bikes.
Old July 25th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Al C-F wrote:
Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.
Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

One would imagine that the company that delivered it to you is able to
transport bikes.

Indeed. I'd get in touch with the folk that sent it to you and see who
they use. They might even arrange pickup etc. if you're lucky.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 25th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Haggis McMutton

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:09:32 +0100, Al C-F wrote:
Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

One would imagine that the company that delivered it to you is able to
transport bikes.

I tried calling them, they don't do one-offs. Helpfully the company I
bought it from don't have a phone number, only an email address. I'll send
them an email but I might have to take it apart.
Old July 25th 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Al C-F" m wrote in
message ...

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

One would imagine that the company that delivered it to you is able to
transport bikes.

I played that game once with a server. Had it delivered here for me to do
initial configuration etc, then wanted it sent down to where it was going to
live. Asked the company who sent it, they said "What's it worth"? "10,000
quid". "Sorry, can't do something that expensive". "But you managed to send
it to me..."

(They did eventually carry it, but not under their normal service :-( )

cheers,
clive

Old July 25th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sara Kirk

Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

One would imagine that the company that delivered it to you is able to
transport bikes.

I tried calling them, they don't do one-offs. Helpfully the company I
bought it from don't have a phone number, only an email address. I'll send
them an email but I might have to take it apart.

Can you bully the company who sold it you into collecting it, since it
was their misleading advertising that got you to buy it in the first
place?

--
Sara

The teeth are free at last! Fly free, young teethies!
Old July 25th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_2_]

Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

First: Speak to whoever you brought it from. You may find them 'helpful' as they will
have some sort of procedure. (But see thirdly.) Get some reference number.

Second: Make it clear you are "rejecting the goods" and give the reasons you've posted
here. In case things get awkward get a copy of their measurement guide for your records
and some evidence (eg a photo of you with your knees round your chin) that it is 'too
small' for you even though you followed their guide. Quote your reference number from Firstly.

Thirdly: Write to the supplier asking for your money back in 14 days in full and some
method (at their expense) of collecting the bike. If you haven't heard after 14 days then
one quick phone call with reference from firstly. If it isn't in the post tonight then
cancel the credit card purchase via the CC company. [This involves them with an extra cost
as well as not getting their money.]

Fourthly: (Even when you have your CC transaction reversed-out) the supplier may not
contact you. In which case you write (quoting the reference, keeping a copy etc.) saying
that you will dispose of the bike after 90 days unless they arrange collection.

Your local trading standards should be able to clarify your "what are my rights" questions.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Old July 25th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilD

On Jul 25, 12:49 pm, Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

(just to eliminate the obvious)

You have tried raising the saddle to suit, haven't you? 'Course you
have, but just in case someone else doesn't know: "Too small" may not
(necessarily) *really* be too small if the saddle has ben adjusted
correctly.

PhilD

Old July 25th 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Haggis McMutton" wrote in message
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

Distance Sales Act. You've basically got 7 days where you can reject goods
for any reason if you bought it by mail order, phone, internet etc. I seem
to remember the onus is on you to return it, but I'm sure the trading
standards people etc. will have a practical guide.

Old July 25th 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Haggis McMutton

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:53:26 -0700, PhilD wrote:

On Jul 25, 12:49 pm, Haggis McMutton wrote:
I just had a bike delivered. Stupid idea, I went buy their measurement
guide and it was too small. So now I want to send it back.

Every carrier company seems to have a maximum length of 1.5m where this
parcel would be 1.9m.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it back?

(just to eliminate the obvious)

You have tried raising the saddle to suit, haven't you? 'Course you
have, but just in case someone else doesn't know: "Too small" may not
(necessarily) *really* be too small if the saddle has ben adjusted
correctly.

To be honest, no. I did think about that but I've got on the bike and
there's about 5cm distance between me and the top tube. I'm guessing even
with the saddle up it's still going to not be a good fit.

Jeanson Returning B. Lafferty Racing 10 December 7th 06 07:16 PM
Returning Kids Bike to Halfords Burning_Ranger UK 6 July 21st 06 01:32 PM
He May Be Returning B. Lafferty Racing 5 September 15th 05 10:02 AM
Returning to cycling Geoff Lane UK 15 May 16th 05 10:45 PM
Returning for advice Carey Unicycling 3 May 14th 05 07:30 AM