Installing cleats

Old July 18th 05, 10:28 PM
Cwazee Yeti

Default Installing cleats

I recall reading an article that said you shouldn't install the screws
of your cycling cleats "dry". I also remember when my LBS owner was
helping me properly align my cleat, he put a drop of something on each
screw before tightening them.

Can someone tell me what this is? Is it lube? Is it grease?

And also, why is it necessary to do so? I'm thinking if you put some
lube/grease on the screws, wouldn't this increase the chances the
screws will come loose?

Thanks!

Old July 18th 05, 10:36 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:28:19 -0700, Cwazee Yeti wrote:

I recall reading an article that said you shouldn't install the screws
of your cycling cleats "dry". I also remember when my LBS owner was
helping me properly align my cleat, he put a drop of something on each
screw before tightening them.

Can someone tell me what this is? Is it lube? Is it grease?

I presume it would be Loctite, which is not a lube, but instead is an
adhesive. When dry, it keeps the screws from loosening.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 18th 05, 10:40 PM

Cwazee Yeti wrote:
I recall reading an article that said you shouldn't install the screws
of your cycling cleats "dry". I also remember when my LBS owner was
helping me properly align my cleat, he put a drop of something on each
screw before tightening them.

Can someone tell me what this is? Is it lube? Is it grease?

And also, why is it necessary to do so? I'm thinking if you put some
lube/grease on the screws, wouldn't this increase the chances the
screws will come loose?

Dab a bit of grease or anti-seize compound on the screws. Although it
seems counter-intuitive,lubing the fasteners will reduce friction and
enable you to actually screw them down tighter. It will also reduce the
possibility of the cleats squeaking. If you tighten the screws as hard
as you can, they shouldn't work loose, but check them after the first
ride.

Old July 18th 05, 11:06 PM
Sheldon Brown

Cwazee Yeti wrote:
I recall reading an article that said you shouldn't install the screws
of your cycling cleats "dry".

Almost none of the threaded fasteners on a bicycle should be installed dry.

I also remember when my LBS owner was
helping me properly align my cleat, he put a drop of something on each
screw before tightening them.

Can someone tell me what this is? Is it lube? Is it grease?

I hope so, but it might be a thread locker such as Loctite. Some folks
use this way too much.

(Grease is a type of lube.)

And also, why is it necessary to do so? I'm thinking if you put some
lube/grease on the screws, wouldn't this increase the chances the
screws will come loose?

A. It allows you to get the screws tighter, because there's not so much
friction on the threads.

2. It keeps the threads from rusting together, so you will be able to
remove the cleats in the future without destroying the shoes. Sometimes
shoes outlast cleats, so this is a Good Thing.

Sheldon "No Dry Threads" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 18th 05, 11:22 PM
Cwazee Yeti

Hi all,

Thanks for the info!

I have these lubes that I use on various parts on my road and mountain
bike. Would any of these be suitable for cleat installation:

KryTech "Wax" Lube
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/kry-tech.htm

Teflon-Plus "Dry" Lube
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...-plus-lube.htm

If so, which would be better?

Thanks!

Old July 19th 05, 12:07 AM

In article .com,
Cwazee Yeti wrote:
If so, which would be better?

Use something thick, like bearing grease. Chain lube is too thin.
Old July 19th 05, 01:12 AM
Jeff Starr

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:06:06 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Sometimes shoes outlast cleats, so this is a Good Thing.

Sheldon "No Dry Threads" Brown

If you are using plastic cleats from Shimano, the shoes will outlast
many sets of cleats. I get about 1000-1200 miles out of the SPD-SL
SH11. I would imagine that the Look cleats are similar. Last year I
went through 3 sets. How often do the metal SPD cleats wear out? I
have a set, on my Champion Du Monde, but don't ride it enough to wear
anything out.

That is a very confident LBS if they are using Loctite on a new
installation of cleats.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 19th 05, 05:04 AM
Sheldon Brown

I understated:

Jeff Starr wrote:

If you are using plastic cleats from Shimano, the shoes will outlast
many sets of cleats.

Oh, right--I sometimes forget that some folks still use protruding
plastic cleats.

I get about 1000-1200 miles out of the SPD-SL SH11.

Right. I used to use Look/Shimano, figure 1500 miles of riding or half
a mile of walking, whichever comes first...

Sheldon "SPDs Rule!" Brown
| One man's theology is another man's belly laugh. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |

Old July 19th 05, 12:21 PM
Roy Zipris

As I recall, there are different strengths of Loctite, one a
much-stronger "lock" than the other. Choose wisely.

Old July 19th 05, 01:42 PM
Peter Cole

Jeff Starr wrote:

How often do the metal SPD cleats wear out? I
have a set, on my Champion Du Monde, but don't ride it enough to wear
anything out.

Many, many miles/years.

Shoes and Cleats Roger Zoul General 43 August 9th 04 12:44 AM
compatibility of Shimano pedals & cleats davek UK 4 July 20th 04 02:33 PM
Newbie question: cleats on recumbents FLM Recumbent Biking 16 May 20th 04 01:53 AM
Quickest Release Cleats? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 13 November 12th 03 12:16 PM