vintage trek bb question

Old April 18th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Korenchuk

Default vintage trek bb question

Have '85 or thereabouts trek 400 project w/68mm bb & 125mm rear
spacing and would like to apply a used shimano 600 crankset that I
picked up on Ebay. The crankset carries FC-6400 via Japan markings as
well as RK and 30. The existing crank is a Sakae, which needs
replacement and I no longer have the original bb. LBS sold a me a
Sugino bb-sg 75 that carries markings 1.37x24t "track standard
finish" 68-109, which positions the inner ring pretty much in full
contact with the chainstay. I have tried spacers to move the bb to
the right but that doesn't allow the crank to push fully onto the
spindle because the bb shell has affectively been elongated and the
entire length of the spindle taper is no longer fully available. My 2
questions: (a.) Wassup with this Sugino bb? What kind of a crank
would work with it and was it meant possibly for a track frame? (b.)
Is there a shimano modern sealed bb that will work with the 600 crank
and this frame?
Old April 18th 11, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Michael Korenchuk wrote:
[...]

Shimano spec is spindle #68W113. The Sugino 75 will be 3mm
short, as you found. Expensive too for the application.

Crank designers have an amazing amount of latitude regarding
spindle length at any any given chainline.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 18th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 17, 11:18*pm, Anne Onime wrote:
Have '85 or thereabouts trek 400 project w/68mm bb & 125mm
rear spacing and would like to apply a used shimano 600
crankset that I picked up on Ebay. The crankset carries
FC-6400 via Japan markings as well as RK and 30. *The
existing crank is a Sakae, which needs replacement and I no
longer have the original bb. LBS sold a me a Sugino bb-sg
75 that carries markings 1.37x24t "track standard finish"
68-109, which positions the inner ring pretty much in full
contact with the chainstay.

Why they sell to you track bb for use with double crank?
Maybe they think you to make singlespeed.
You need like 113mm spindle, not 109mm they sell.
Pick up shimano un54 for 25$.

X2

Nothing exotic needed. UN54 or suitable FSA facsimile if you want a
metal NDS cup.