Hit and run cyclist injures 4 year-old girl

Old February 9th 12, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Hit and run cyclist injures 4 year-old girl

THIS is the little girl left in agony when an irresponsible cyclist ploughed
into her in the dark on a pavement in Bournemouth. (see
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...o me_forward/)

Sienna Barnett, who is just four years old, has been left with two breaks to
her lower left leg following the hit-and-run incident in Southbourne Grove.

Now police have issued a CCTV picture of a man they would like to interview
as part of their inquiry.

Sienna, a reception class pupil, has been forced to pull out of her first
school nativity play and ballet classes.

Her mum Bonnie has appealed for the public's help in tracing the cyclist,
who collided with her outside the family's shop, TD Fruits, just before 5pm
closing time on Saturday.

Sienna, a pupil at St Thomas Garnet's in Southbourne, screamed in agony when
the cyclist knocked her down in front of her horrified mum.

"He came tearing down the pavement really fast and Sienna had only taken one
step from the shop doorway when he hit her" said Bonnie.

"She just screamed 'my leg, my leg' and I knew staightaway that it was
serious."

Bonnie said the cyclist stopped briefly when he was challenged by a
passer-by but said: "I am trying to say sorry, what more do you want?"
before riding off.

Sienna - who has two sisters, 18-year-old Georgia and Elly, 14 - was taken
to Royal Bournemouth Hospital, where a temporary cast was fitted, and went
to the Poole Fracture Clinic yesterday to have a full cast put on.

Little Sienna said: "The man on the bike was in the dark and he didn't even
have any lights on or anything. My leg really hurts."

And Bonnie told how her father was hit by a cyclist in almost the same spot
two years ago.

"The pavements are quite wide in Southbourne Grove so people think they can
get away with riding on them," she added.

Sgt Sarah Jones of Dorset's traffic unit said: "I am now able to release a
picture of a man that we wish to speak with. I am appealing for this man,
and anyone who recognises this man, to contact me urgently. I am also keen
to hear from anyone who witnessed the collision and, in particular, anyone
who may have challenged the cyclist following the collision."

Police have urged any witnesses or those with information to call them on
101 quoting incident number 19:491 or the free and anonymous Crimestoppers
line on 0800 555 111.

The offender is described as a white male, 18 to 22-years-old, with short
hair, dark clothing and a dark-coloured mountain bike.

Old February 9th 12, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier WxB Jacket

It's an expensive choice but Pearl Izumi's Elite Barrier WxB
waterproof is well made from high-quality fabrics - it really is an
impressive piece of kit.

The Elite Barrier WxB is mostly made from a two-layer polyester/
polyurethane fabric with the inside of the sleeves getting a third
nylon layer. That makes a big difference if you have bare arms
underneath the jacket; rather than feeling cold to the touch and
slippery like the polyurethane, the nylon facing is warmer and much
more pleasant on your skin.

The jacket is stretchy throughout, the arms less so than the body but
still with enough give that a close fit feels perfectly comfortable.
Pearl Izumi call it a 'form fit' - that's good with me; I can't stand
acres of fabric flapping around in the breeze. It's not as extreme as
some, but it's certainly a bike-specific cut with lengthy arms, a
high, close-fitting neck, and an extended tail that keeps your butt
well protected against spray from the rear wheel. Even if you're a few
pounds over your fighting weight, that stretchiness will probably
accommodate you - although, as ever, try before you buy to be
absolutely sure.

The cuffs are asymmetrical meaning that they extend slightly over the
back of your hands although, to be honest, I can't say that makes a
blind bit of difference to the performance. Like the hem, those cuffs
are elasticated so you're sealed away inside, the flipside to that
being that you can't open them up for extra ventilation if the
atmosphere gets humid in there.

This jacket's main job is to keep water out and it does that really
well. Pearl Izumi's figures say the fabrics are waterproof to 15m of
pressure, which is high. Some fabrics boast higher but, in the real
world, 15m will cope with just about everything you'll encounter.

Just as important, the seam sealing is very good - not the absolute
best we've seen but still of a high standard. Water certainly didn't
get through during our testing and there are no areas coming unstuck
after multiple washes. The water-resistant front zip, backed by a
draught flap, has kept the rain out successfully too

We often find with waterproofs that letting moist air escape is more
of a challenge than keeping rain out - you get damp because your sweat
stays inside rather than because water comes in. The fabric used here
proved impressively breathable. Pearl Izumi's own figures say it'll
let out 15L of moisture per square metre per 24 hours. To give that
some context, a typical mid-range fabric might allow 5L out and a top-
level fabric 20L, so 15L is up there.

You'll never find any fabric that can keep you perfectly dry if you're
sweating hard though; you can start to get damp in the Elite Barrier
WxB when you're really going for it or the weather's warm. Until
someone invents a new wonder fabric, your only other option is to get
a waterproof with a lot of ventilation - and if you want adjustable
vents, that will bulk up the size... It depends what you're after.

Speaking of bulk, this jacket doesn't pack down super-small for
carrying, but rolled up tight it'll fit into a jersey pocket, and
that's the main thing. It can be a bit of a squeeze, depending on the
pocket size, but that's fine.

Anything we've missed? Oh, you get a detachable hood that'll fit over
the top of your bike helmet. We took full advantage of the
detachability and immediately detached it, but you might find it
useful. You also get a rear pocket that'll take a mini pump, spare
tube and so on, and it comes with a large puller on the water-
resistant zip that's easy to grab while you're riding. There's a good
amount of reflective trim for extra visibility too.

All-round, the Elite Barrier WxB is a really strong contender. The
only potential drawback is that if you want lots of ventilation on top
of the fabric's inherent breathability and the front zipper, you're
not going to get it. Yes, this jacket is pricey, but it justifies that
with a high-end performance.

Available in black and red and in sizes XS-3XL.

http://road.cc/content/review/35791-...ier-wxb-jacket

--
Simon Mason
Old February 9th 12, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_6_]

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message ...

[...]

Surely, the police will able to trace the cyclist through his registration
plate and claim off his insurance?......................Er.............Han g
on...................

Old February 9th 12, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Partac wrote:
"Mr. Benn" wrote in message ...

[...]

happily he came forward and has been to court about it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-16816450

Old February 9th 12, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/02/2012 13:29, Mr. Benn wrote:
[...]

There'll be a few posters along any minute who will helpfully point out that
it was all the little girl's fault, or her mother's.

Old February 10th 12, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Weasel

On 09/02/2012 21:34, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 9 Feb 2012
15:31:30 -0000 the perfect time to write:

"Mr. Benn" delved into history to find ...

history snipped

Surely, the police will able to trace the cyclist through his registration
plate and claim off his insurance?......................Er.............Han g
on...................

It's interesting to see how far the trolls have to search back through
history to collect a level of harm inflicted by cyclists that reaches
even a single days worth of that inflicted by motorists.

It's off-topic anyway.
This is a newsgroup, not a historygroup.

This is last years news, and this kind of things is so uncommon that it
makes the news. When it becomes unreported because it is so common, it
is then we need to worry.

--
The Weasel
Old February 10th 12, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:38:23 +0000, The Weasel wrote:
On 09/02/2012 21:34, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 9 Feb 2012
15:31:30 -0000 the perfect time to write:
"Mr. Benn" delved into history to find ...

history snipped

Surely, the police will able to trace the cyclist through his
registration plate and claim off his
insurance?......................Er.............Han g
on...................

It's interesting to see how far the trolls have to search back
through history to collect a level of harm inflicted by cyclists
that reaches even a single days worth of that inflicted by
motorists.

This is last years news, and this kind of things is so uncommon
that it makes the news. When it becomes unreported because it is so
common, it is then we need to worry.

I think Mr Benn thinks he's proving something, but yes, the fact that
he needs to dredge that far back to find cases that 'support' his
agenda is the most obvious observation.

I'm less sure what Partac's point is - some bicycle riders cannot be
traced, and if they had registration plates then they could be? I'm
not sure why he thinks registration plates on bicycles will be more
effective than registration plates on motor vehicles, but presumably
it makes sense to him.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 10th 12, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_4_]

. ..
wrote:
On 09/02/2012 21:34, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 9 Feb 2012
15:31:30 -0000 the perfect time to write:
"Mr. Benn" delved into history to find

history snipped

Surely, the police will able to trace the cyclist through his
registration plate and claim off his
insurance?......................Er.............Han g
on...................

It's interesting to see how far the trolls have to search back
through history to collect a level of harm inflicted by cyclists
that reaches even a single days worth of that inflicted by
motorists.

This is last years news, and this kind of things is so uncommon
that it makes the news. When it becomes unreported because it is so
common, it is then we need to worry.

I think Mr Benn thinks he's proving something,

I'm doing it to wind up Mason. And it's working.

Old February 10th 12, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

. ..
wrote:
On 09/02/2012 21:34, Phil W Lee wrote:

It's interesting to see how far the trolls have to search back
through history to collect a level of harm inflicted by
cyclists that reaches even a single days worth of that
inflicted by motorists.

This is last years news, and this kind of things is so uncommon
that it makes the news. When it becomes unreported because it is
so common, it is then we need to worry.

I think Mr Benn thinks he's proving something,

I'm doing it to wind up Mason. And it's working.

Ahh, I see. Simon Mason acts like a complete arse, so you decide to
act the same, and that will prove ... what? Congratulatiosn, you've
proved to everyone here that you can act like a complete arse.

Well, if it gives your life purpose, I suppose that's the main thing.

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 10th 12, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

The Weasel wrote:
On 09/02/2012 21:34, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 9 Feb 2012
15:31:30 -0000 the perfect time to write:

"Mr. Benn" delved into history to find

history snipped

Surely, the police will able to trace the cyclist through his
registration plate and claim off his
insurance?......................Er.............Han g
on...................

It's interesting to see how far the trolls have to search back
through history to collect a level of harm inflicted by cyclists
that reaches even a single days worth of that inflicted by motorists.

It's off-topic anyway.
This is a newsgroup, not a historygroup.

This is last years news, and this kind of things is so uncommon that
it makes the news. When it becomes unreported because it is so
common, it is then we need to worry.

If it is unreported, then how would anyone not involved or very local, ever
know? It is quite rare to have a world war, but that does not mean it has
no importance or should be unreported.