Lance learns the truth...

Old July 15th 03, 10:07 PM
Alex Ravenel

Default Lance learns the truth...

....That the dirt will always be there.

I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

"ONCE's Joseba Beloki crashed just four kilometers from the finish of the
ninth stage of the Tour de France and suffered injuries serious enough to
force him out of the three-week race.
Four-time winner Lance Armstrong barely avoided going down in the same
crash as he and Beloki were in hot pursuit of eventual stage winner
Alexandre Vinokourov who had attacked on the day's final climb.
Beloki was just 40 seconds adrift of the American in the overall standings
and was leading Armstrong down the descent in the ninth stage when he
braked sharply and came crashing down onto the road.
"His (rear) tire exploded in front of me," Armstrong told French
television.
As Beloki went down, Armstrong barely managed to avoid him, was forced off
the road and took a shortcut down the grassy part of the descent to rejoin
the race.
"I decided to do a bit of cyclo cross!" said Armstrong. "I was really
scared. It was the reflexes of a survivor."

By the way, Beloki broke his leg, wrist, and elbow in the crash.

I really should cite the source that came from, but I didnt copy it down...
Sorry guys. You can read more about it on VeloNews, though, Im sure...

Still, thats pretty damn cool.

--
--------
Alex Ravenel
Old July 16th 03, 12:50 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:07:34 GMT, Alex Ravenel
wrote:

Yo Alex, two things make this post valid to ALT.MOUNTAIN-BIKE

1. It happened on a mountain.
2. Lance did some off-roading.

Please keep all other Roadie Crap out of this NG ;-)

Lance is DA MAN!

Seeing Beloki crash was not fun. I wouldn't wish that type of crash
on anyone. Hope he rides again.

Peace,
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old July 16th 03, 08:11 AM
AD.

Alex Ravenel wrote:

...That the dirt will always be there.

I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

Damn freeriders! Stick to the trail!

There, had to say it

Cheers
Anton
Old July 16th 03, 10:28 PM
Taywood

"AD." wrote in message
Alex Ravenel wrote:
...That the dirt will always be there.
I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a

bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

Damn freeriders! Stick to the trail!
There, had to say it

Hot temperature, melting road surface and hot rims while braking
on the descent are thought to be the reasons for Beloki's tyre
coming off.

PS Lance peeled off, rode down the rough, missed the hairpin turn
and re joined the road behind the bunch who had been behind him.
In XC ski races competitors are DQ'd for not covering the same
trail and the same distance as the others.

Old July 16th 03, 10:34 PM
Bob M

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:28:54 +0100, Taywood wrote:

"AD." wrote in message
Alex Ravenel wrote:
...That the dirt will always be there.
I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a

bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

Damn freeriders! Stick to the trail!
There, had to say it

Hot temperature, melting road surface and hot rims while braking
on the descent are thought to be the reasons for Beloki's tyre
coming off.

PS Lance peeled off, rode down the rough, missed the hairpin turn
and re joined the road behind the bunch who had been behind him.
In XC ski races competitors are DQ'd for not covering the same
trail and the same distance as the others.

He could have been disqualified, but they ruled that he didn't cover the
distance because he was trying to get ahead -- it's basically the only
thing he could do.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old July 17th 03, 01:33 AM
Jon Bond

"Taywood" wrote in message

"AD." wrote in message
Alex Ravenel wrote:
...That the dirt will always be there.
I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a

bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

Damn freeriders! Stick to the trail!
There, had to say it

Hot temperature, melting road surface and hot rims while braking
on the descent are thought to be the reasons for Beloki's tyre
coming off.

PS Lance peeled off, rode down the rough, missed the hairpin turn
and re joined the road behind the bunch who had been behind him.
In XC ski races competitors are DQ'd for not covering the same
trail and the same distance as the others.

You also usually don't get protesters sitting on the trail in XC skiing.
They usually get too cold.

He could have been penalized, but he started in front of the pack, made the
only decision he could have, and ended up behind the pack. Hamilton said he
was going to try to push him back to their speed, but realized that he stuck
out his right arm - the one with the broken collarbone. Thats why he just
kinda tapped him on the shoulder.

Jon Bond

Old July 17th 03, 02:38 AM
Mark Hickey

"Jon Bond" wrote:

He could have been penalized, but he started in front of the pack, made the
only decision he could have, and ended up behind the pack. Hamilton said he
was going to try to push him back to their speed, but realized that he stuck
out his right arm - the one with the broken collarbone. Thats why he just
kinda tapped him on the shoulder.

Oh now THAT would have made the entire scene complete - another of the
top 10 going out with a shattered collarbone due to pushing Lance up
to speed... eek!

I agree that no one was going to lodge a protest against Lance for
that little cyclocross excursion - in fact, I'd like to see them make
it part of the course in future years. Heh.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 17th 03, 07:48 AM
bomba

Taywood wrote:

PS Lance peeled off, rode down the rough, missed the hairpin turn
and re joined the road behind the bunch who had been behind him.
In XC ski races competitors are DQ'd for not covering the same
trail and the same distance as the others.

The rules state that a rider is not allowed to deliberately run off
course in attempt to improve his position. Seeing as he neither did it
deliberately or was it to his advantage, no action was taken.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old July 17th 03, 12:00 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

wrote:

PS Lance peeled off, rode down the rough, missed the hairpin turn
and re joined the road behind the bunch who had been behind him.
In XC ski races competitors are DQ'd for not covering the same
trail and the same distance as the others.

But in many forms of auto racing, a competitor is allowed to cut the
course, as long as no time or positions are gained. Some sanctioning
bodies state that the cut must be made to avoid a crash, while others
don't.

Since Lance lost positions and time, and was avoiding an accident, why
would cut be such a bad thing?

Barry
Old July 17th 03, 03:35 PM
Ed Y.

Alex Ravenel wrote in message
I dont know how many of yall follow the Tour, being that it is a bunch of
roadies... But apparently Lance did a bit of 'Cross action.

Here it is on video:
http://eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L...dia_Lng0.shtml
Search for "Tour de France: Stage 9 highlights"