I'd just like to say..

Old July 16th 03, 09:52 PM
Dave W

Default I'd just like to say..

For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!
Old July 16th 03, 10:04 PM
Huw Pritchard

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:52:26 -0400, Dave W did issue forth:

For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite, just
broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles of use.
The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say again, SRAM
CHAINS SUCK!

Yeah, well, they're made of plastic, y'see.

Huw "Ah, ah, you know the rest..." Pritchard
Old July 16th 03, 10:10 PM
Bob M

I've never broken one, although I also haven't broken a ****mano, either.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old July 16th 03, 10:45 PM
Rich

Dave W wrote:
For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Funny, I used to have a lot of probs with the shimano chains, switched
to sram and have good luck ever since, until..... The other day, "just
riding along" with a brand new (2nd or 3rd ride) sram chain and the damn
powerlink snapped! Plus I'd been having a lot of shifting problems with
it.

Now what?

Old July 17th 03, 01:17 AM
John Morgan

For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

You fool! The chain didn't just break, YOU broke it. As official keeper of
the record, I reject your hastily blurted sweeping generalizations! I've
been running SRAM chains for a few years now with no problems at all. So
there.

-John Morgan

oh... and learn to shift properly next time, and carry a chain tool plus
some spare links.

Old July 17th 03, 01:40 AM
Sorni

"Rich" wrote in message
Dave W wrote:
For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Funny, I used to have a lot of probs with the shimano chains, switched
to sram and have good luck ever since, until..... The other day, "just
riding along" with a brand new (2nd or 3rd ride) sram chain and the damn
powerlink snapped! Plus I'd been having a lot of shifting problems with
it.

No offense, but it sure sounds like you didn't have the Powerlink engaged
properly. (Shifting probs would be a symptom of the pieces not fully
"clicked" in place; also could be where you broke the chain to shorten
length.)

When my bike was new, I broke the PC-99 chain very first ride. Hasn't
happened since (2+ years; 3 or 4 chains).

Before that, on the other hand, Shimano chains broke MANY times on me.

YMMV.

Bill

Old July 17th 03, 02:33 AM
Michael Dart

"Dave W" wrote in message
For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Let me guess... you made it too short the first time and added back in some
links.

That's the only reason I've had a SRAM chain break. So it was my own fault.
Other than that I've used them for years with zero trouble on all my bikes.

Mike

Old July 17th 03, 12:08 PM
Dave W

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:21:33 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,

SRAM rules! You suck!

Perhaps you didn't hear me correctly, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!!!
You, on the other hand, just blow!

Old July 17th 03, 12:12 PM
Dave W

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:17:00 -0700, "John Morgan"
wrote:

For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

You fool! The chain didn't just break, YOU broke it.

True, but I've never broke a shimano...Am I truly a badass, and can
break chains with ease. Not hardly. This chain SUCKS, no ands, ifs or
buts about it. I replaced a ****mano, that wa not broken, even after
almost twice the miles on it. So in IMNSHO, THEY SUCK!

As official keeper of
the record, I reject your hastily blurted sweeping generalizations! I've
been running SRAM chains for a few years now with no problems at all. So
there.

-John Morgan

oh... and learn to shift properly next time, and carry a chain tool plus
some spare links.

Truer words were never spoken about the chain tool. But I DO shift
properly, (read the part about the un-broken ****MANO CHAIN again, if
you're having trouble with the concept) I reit-terate. SRAM CHAINS
SUCK!

Old July 17th 03, 12:14 PM
Dave W

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:33:27 -0400, "Michael Dart"
wrote:

"Dave W" wrote in message
.. .
For the record: SRAM chains suck! Never mind the powerlink shiite,
just broke a well lubed, well maintained chain in less than 200 miles
of use. The prievious ****mano lasted at least 500 or so. So I say
again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK!

Let me guess... you made it too short the first time and added back in some
links.

That's the only reason I've had a SRAM chain break. So it was my own fault.
Other than that I've used them for years with zero trouble on all my bikes.

Mike

Nope, brand new, installed in the spring by my LBS, shifted perfectly
until yesterday. Again, SRAM CHAINS SUCK! (In case you didn't hear it
right the first time ;-)