Chain wear measurement

Old August 18th 05, 04:12 AM
jim beam

Default Chain wear measurement

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:24:48 -0700, jim beam wrote:

ok, for a 6" section, roller to roller, i average the following, in mm:

sram pc1 - 14.480
sram pc58 - 14.518
shimano hg93 - 14.500
shimano cn7701 - 14.502

The what now? Check your calculations and measurements. This would be a
whopping 14% off-pitch for *all* of these guys.

Jasper

er, this is from roller to roller... as stated before.

Old August 18th 05, 04:29 AM
jim beam

wrote:
Johnnie Walker writes:

Carl, I have several different brands of new-in-box chain and a
decent dial caliper. I'll make some measurements for you tonight.
It's an exercise I've already done before, but I'll repeat for the
record.

OK, for a 6" section, roller to roller, I average the following, in mm:

SRAM pc1 - 14.480
SRAM pc58 - 14.518
Shimano hg93 - 14.500
Shimano cn7701 - 14.502

I notice you obscure these measurements by overlaying roller diameters
on roller clearances on chain pitch so it is impossible to see what
the number of merit, their pitches are.

wow, that was impressive!!! i state roller to roller, but you
deliberately obfuscate by attempting to confuse with chain pitch!!! you
got chutzpah, boy!

The differences you see are most likely roller to sleeve clearances or
even wobbly rollers because they are narrow and have a propensity to
yaw.

er, you don't think i know to measure in the middle of a roller?

To determine that you'll need to disassemble the chains and get
their inside dimensions.

rubbish. if the manufacturer specs a measurement from roller to roller,
who are you to try changing the whole engineering landscape? the guy
with the wooden ruler. what a joke.

The ones I measures have differences like
those but the all have an accurate 1/2" pitch over their length.

These are brand new in box, 3 different section, 3 different
measurement per section, means calculated. The pc1 is track chain &
real tight, just as stated further up this thread. The Shimano are
consistent with each other, at least to my satisfaction. The pc58,
the aftermarket derailleur chain is clearly built "loose". As I
stated before, this accomodates a little sprocket wear and "favors"
the manufacturer's repeat sales business.

You are imagining this!

Jobst Brandt

yeah, i imagine strain aging stainless steel with an endurance limit
too. oh, wait. that's you. sorry.

Old August 18th 05, 04:55 AM
jim beam

41 wrote:
jim beam wrote:

wrote:

I have a box full of SRAM chains and none show any visible deviation
from 1/2" pitch over their length, all pins lining up with 1/2" marks
on a steel rule.

measuring anything with
some old wooden ruler you found at the bottom of your old school bag is
just a joke.

Hey genius, can't you read? Oh wait, of course not, we've learned that
a long time ago, and you remind us of it in every post.

#ok, for a 6" section, roller to r oller, i average the following, in
mm:
#
#sram pc1 - 14.480
#sram pc58 - 14.518
#shimano hg93 - 14.500
#shimano cn7701 - 14.502
#
#these are brand new in box, 3 different section, 3 different
measurement
#per section, means calculated.

Did someone say half-inch (12.7mm) pitch?

**NEW PRODUCT** --From JIM BEAM & Company!

THE PERFECT ASS

Here at JIM BEAM & Co., we've brought together four of our specialties:
our patented technique of going round and around in perfect circles;
our arguments always guaranteed to have a gaping hole right in the
middle of them; our endless supply of hot air and bull****; and our
complete asininity- to come up with yet another gift to the world: THE
PERFECT ASS! It's our most versatile product by far. It is so perfectly
circular, it can be used to calibrate scientific instruments, or to
check chain wear; while the asshole factor is so enormous, it can be
used to pollute any discourse with a seemi ngly unlimited pile of pure
stinking ****. We toil long and hard in the dark of night to make
ourselves THE PERFECT ASS! Our production line is constantly turning
out bull****, so there's never a shortage! Deal with THE PERFECT ASS
and we'll sure you'll a gree: it's got JIM BEAM written all over it!
Deal with JIM BEAM and we're sure you'll agree: he's got THE PERFECT
ASS written all over him!

Yet another asinine idea- from JIM BEAM... and company! Home of the
world's biggest asshole!

CALL and inquire about our Usenet stalking service. Let us do your
obsessing for you! As always, psychopathic creepiness assured.

With apologies to Dana Carvey and George Michael.

1. learn what a kill file is.
2. use it.

juvenile idiot.

Cervelo Soloist Team psycholist Techniques 26 September 5th 05 10:39 PM
A problem with gears. Donny UK 105 December 22nd 04 09:10 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Chain snap, rider seriously injured psycholist Techniques 42 September 19th 04 06:25 PM
Physiology of Fixed AndyMorris Techniques 149 January 5th 04 08:13 PM