If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider inSacramento area

Old April 13th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider in Sacramento area

OK, just so it's clear, in case somehow it isn't, the reason for
carrying ID etc., isn't particularly for your own benefit, but for
those who care about you. So in this case, your wife & kids. I carry
my ID and such largely for exactly that reason. After all, if I'm
dead, what do I care? But others might.

"Peter Cole" wrote
Yeah, I got that. But the worst case scenario is, that if I didn't
come back from a bike ride, my wife would have to call around a few
local PD's. They'd tell her I was dead or in the hospital. If I didn't
call her from the hospital myself, it would mean I'm dead or in a
coma.

I truly think that ends the conversation in terms of explaining your
view of what you owe or don't owe those around you. It's clearly
different than most, hence the thread's length. And it has absolutely
nothing to do with cycling.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
On 2009-04-09, Peter Cole wrote:

John Thompson wrote:
If you're not concerned about your own fate, at least have some
respect for the people who may have to clean up after you go
down.
I'm not going anywhere.
I hope you carry an organ donor card, anyway. Nothing worse than
wasting a set of perfectly good organs just because you don't
know the donor's (or next of kin's) feelings on the matter.
So, we should all carry organ donor cards now when we bike? Wow.
If you think there's any reason to carry one, absolutely. Or
anytime at all actually. What makes cycling so special that you
wouldn't?

If you don't want to donate organs for whatever reason, fine, I
have no issue with that. You may have very good reasons.
Carrying a card makes no difference. It's up to my wife to decide,
and I'd rather leave that up to her at the time such decision might
be made. If we go together, then my kids.

If some of my organs become unusable because of delay getting
consent from my next of kin, tough. In reality, that would be very
unlikely.

OK, just so it's clear, in case somehow it isn't, the reason for
carrying ID etc., isn't particularly for your own benefit, but for
those who care about you. So in this case, your wife & kids. I carry
my ID and such largely for exactly that reason. After all, if I'm
dead, what do I care? But others might.

Yeah, I got that. But the worst case scenario is, that if I didn't
come back from a bike ride, my wife would have to call around a few
local PD's. They'd tell her I was dead or in the hospital. If I didn't
call her from the hospital myself, it would mean I'm dead or in a
coma. Carrying an ID just for that purpose is like carrying a snake
bite kit.

I don't see that it would be a great service to my wife to promptly
inform her of my death, or to assure her that I wasn't dead, only
brain damaged in a coma. I must be insensitive.

And if because I inconvenienced and delayed appropriate medical care
because they couldn't ID me, the extent to which that burden falls on
me, well, I'd get what I deserve. But I think my wife & kids deserve
better.

Another straw man. Why should ID "inconvenience or delay" care?

This seems like a very difficult concept -- ID papers aren't
necessary. Promoting that idea is just a small step away from making
them a requirement "for your own good". Spare me.

Old April 13th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Peter Cole" wrote: I'll try to respond if you rephrase that coherently.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry. A sentence with more than three words, and a dependent clause is
hard to grasp. Who are you really, George Bush?

Old April 13th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote: I'll try to respond if you rephrase that coherently.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry. A sentence with more than three words, and a dependent clause is
hard to grasp. Who are you really, George Bush?

I guess I got my answer.
Old April 13th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

No, you're wrong. It has everything to do with cycling -- and
probability. Look at it this way, there's a 0.001% chance I'm
insensitive "to those around me", there's a 99.999% chance you're a
hysteric. I'll take my chances.
Old April 15th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TBerk

On Apr 13, 10:35*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

[delurk]

Pete? It's you.

[lurk]

TBerk
Old April 15th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I truly think that ends the conversation in terms of explaining your
view of what you owe or don't owe those around you. It's clearly
different than most, hence the thread's length. And it has absolutely
nothing to do with cycling.

No, you're wrong. It has everything to do with cycling -- and
probability. Look at it this way, there's a 0.001% chance I'm
insensitive "to those around me", there's a 99.999% chance you're a
hysteric. I'll take my chances.

[delurk]

Pete? It's you.

No, it's probability.