East London Thames River Crossings

Old July 18th 10, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default East London Thames River Crossings

Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.
Old July 18th 10, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

Tom Crispin wrote:

Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.

Cycling isn't allowed in the Greenwich *Foot* Tunnel anyway.

So how does the closure cause any disadvantage to cyclists (other than
meaning they have to carry their bikes up and down the staircases as well as
push them through the tunnel)?
Old July 18th 10, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 01:20:30 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.

Cycling isn't allowed in the Greenwich *Foot* Tunnel anyway.

I am not convinced you are entirely correct.

Cycling in the Foot Tunnel is certainly selfish when there are lots of
pedestrians around, and there are plenty of signs saying 'No cycling'.
However, it takes a by-law to make the riding of bicycles on a footway
that is not by the side of the road a criminal matter, and I have not
seen any evidence that such a by-law for the Greenwich or Woolwich
Foot Tunnels exist.

That is no way proves that cycling is permitted, only that I am not
*convinced* that cycling in the foot tunnel is illegal.

So how does the closure cause any disadvantage to cyclists (other than
meaning they have to carry their bikes up and down the staircases as well as
push them through the tunnel)?

I think that you have answered your own question. Cyclists unable to
carry their bikes up and down the shafts were not able to divert
northbound to the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
Old July 18th 10, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 18 July, 01:10, Tom Crispin
wrote:
Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.

This clearly illustrates the dearth of river crossings for cyclists in
relation to those for motorists. No surprise there then, as usual.

UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
All public road users are equal but some are more equal than others.
Old July 18th 10, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.

Can cyclists not use the Woolwich Ferry. I haven't been down that way for
30 years so things may have changed!!

Bill

Old July 18th 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 08:05:23 +0100, "Bill" wrote:

"Tom Crispin" wrote in message
.. .
Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel. However,
that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at times like
this, Transport for London really should consider allowing northbound
cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted Blackwall Tunnel, after all,
the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically built for pedestrian, cyclists
and horse use.

Can cyclists not use the Woolwich Ferry. I haven't been down that way for
30 years so things may have changed!!

Yes, cyclists can use the Woolwich Ferry - but only when the Thames is
fog free, the crew aren't on strike, the ferrys' aren't broke and it
is inside the ferrys' limited hours of operation. Even then there are
often lengthy delays.

Nevertheless, if you ignorethe above and the surly attitude of the
crew, the Woolwich Ferry is a delight for cyclists to use.
Old July 18th 10, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:

[...]

It does seem odd that you "wonder" that the Blackwall Tunnel is not opened to
cyclists whilst the Greenwich *FOOT* Tunnel lifts are out of action, because
it isn't long ago that you were insisting that due to some alleged lack of
regulation and/or signage, the Blackwall Tunnel (northbound) is not closed to
sycling in any case.

If you can be wrong on that, you can be wrong on the question of whether
cycling is permitted in the Greenwich *FOOT* Tunnel.
Old July 18th 10, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Tom Crispin wrote:
[...]

So the same restrictions as for cars then.

--
Tony Dragon
Old July 18th 10, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:

Today the lifts to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel were closed. The nearest
toll-free alternative for cyclists is the Rotherhithe Tunnel.
However, that too was closed for northbound traffic. I think that at
times like this, Transport for London really should consider
allowing northbound cycle traffic to use the 20mph restricted
Blackwall Tunnel, after all, the Blackwall Tunnel was specifically
built for pedestrian, cyclists and horse use.

Cycling isn't allowed in the Greenwich *Foot* Tunnel anyway.

OMG! Shock horror! You don't mean that these cyclist are "breaking the
law" surely?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Old July 18th 10, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Doug wrote:

No surprise at all Sherlock. You pay **** all - you get **** all.