darwinism in action

Old July 21st 10, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Default darwinism in action

And we're coming up to "tombstoning" season.

Never was an activity so well named.

BugBear
Old July 21st 10, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 03:35:32 -0700 (PDT), Derek C
wrote:

On Jul 21, 11:29*am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Derek C

wrote:

Unfortunately you see about three cyclists riding at night with no
lights at all to every one who has them.

FSVO "you". Where I ride, in London, I rarely see an unlit cyclist at
night.

Guy

Perhaps this company might be able to help you:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Or perhaps you have, yet again, stated an opinion as fact. And yet
again the opinion is apparently at odds with reality. And then, when
called, resorted to ad hominem.

Just to remind you: to justify your claim you need evidence published
in a reputable source that states around 75% (or more) of cyclists are
unlit at night.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed
Old July 21st 10, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Tosspot" wrote in message
On 21/07/10 14:07, mileburner wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:
Derek C wrote:

Any bike that is being ridden in an illegal manner (no lights,
RLJing, etc) should have a cyclist on board who can be stopped,
identified and fined by the Police. Only problem is that this
happens so rarely that it's not really a deterrent.

I always carry a driver's licence with photo ID.

so not a pure cyclist then?

If you subscribe to Dougs bizarre idea of "pure cyclists" then no I am
not.

This idea is really a bit odd. Most adult cyclists also drive too.

Something that the Cheesebrains around here forget.

Cyclists are usually drivers, drivers are not usually cyclists. That is one
of the reasons why standards of driving is so ****ing abysmal.

Old July 21st 10, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

Unfortunately you see about three cyclists riding at night with no
lights at all to every one who has them.

FSVO "you". Where I ride, in London, I rarely see an unlit cyclist
at night.

Guy

Perhaps this company might be able to help you:

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

Or perhaps you have, yet again, stated an opinion as fact. And yet
again the opinion is apparently at odds with reality. And then, when
called, resorted to ad hominem.

Just to remind you: to justify your claim you need evidence published
in a reputable source that states around 75% (or more) of cyclists are
unlit at night.

Guy

ah, the old cyclists ploy: it is anecdotal.
certainly I make a mental note when I see a cycle WITH lights on at night,
because it is such a rare event. simply because there are no written
statistics to back that up does not make it untrue.
Take a walk in the late evening to find your own areas statistics.

Old July 21st 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

police in oxford stopped and fined 84 cyclists within three hours for riding
without lights at night, so that shows what a large amount of unlit bikes
there are there. police in brighton found it quite difficult to stop this
bloke who kept trying to get away, knowing that he was unidentifiable, when
they got him he was fined 700 quid for RLJ, no lights, failing to stop for
an officer, riding on the pavement: all typical cyclist stuff.:
http://road.cc/content/news/16542-cy...ping-red-light

Old July 21st 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

wrote:

[...]

and a US study found that 56 per cent of adult cycle fatalities involved
bicycles without lights at night:
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/health/risks.htm

Old July 21st 10, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

police in brighton found it quite difficult to stop this
bloke who kept trying to get away, knowing that he was unidentifiable,
when they got him he was fined 700 quid for RLJ, no lights, failing to
stop for an officer, riding on the pavement: all typical cyclist stuff.:
http://road.cc/content/news/16542-cy...ping-red-light

So typical it made the news swoon

Old July 21st 10, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

police in brighton found it quite difficult to stop this
bloke who kept trying to get away, knowing that he was
unidentifiable, when they got him he was fined 700 quid for RLJ, no
lights, failing to stop for an officer, riding on the pavement: all
typical cyclist stuff.:
http://road.cc/content/news/16542-cy...ping-red-light

So typical it made the news swoon

the unusual part is that they actually tried to, and did, get him.

Old July 21st 10, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:29:59 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Derek C
wrote:

On Jul 21, 9:40*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
when will cycles be regulated properly? *they need it for their own
protection if they are going to continue being this stupidhttp://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2074402_cyclist_killed_in_latenight...

Unfortunately you see about three cyclists riding at night with no
lights at all to every one who has them.

FSVO "you". Where I ride, in London, I rarely see an unlit cyclist at
night.

I regularly see unlit cyclists at night, but more often than not they
are riding slowly on the pavement.
Old July 21st 10, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

police in oxford stopped and fined 84 cyclists within three hours for
riding without lights at night, so that shows what a large amount of
unlit bikes there are there.

Do you know just how many cyclists there are in Oxford? I think you
might find 28 an hour a rather small proportion of the cyclists there.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Trebon's Nat Crash - darwinism ? [email protected] Racing 0 December 24th 07 11:00 AM
New action game (Do you like action?) Akrostis UK 0 October 11th 07 11:00 AM
Out of action coolrhys Unicycling 8 March 17th 07 01:38 AM
Out of Action Gags Australia 15 March 21st 06 12:04 AM
FS See this in action magilla gorilla Marketplace 0 December 2nd 05 04:37 AM