48-38-26 chainset 8 speed

Old August 20th 04, 11:24 AM
Frank Tompson

Default 48-38-26 chainset 8 speed

I have fallen in love with my Trek 7300 - I'm a simple soul. I have made a
few modifications, including 'upgrading' the 11-32 rear cassette to an 11-34
cassette. Where I live the mountain goats use crampons. I would like to
change my Shimano Nexave 8 speed 48-38-28 chainset to a 48-38-26. However, I
can't locate one. The nearest match I can find is the Shimano Deore, which
is a 9 speed. May seem a stupid question, but grateful if anyone could
confirm (or otherwise) that I cannot, indeed, use the 9 speed Deore for my
purpose. Does anyone know of a 48-38-26 8 speed, or do I need to upgrade
both ends of the operation (cassette and chainset) and buy a new chain?

VMT

Old August 20th 04, 02:36 PM
DJA

on 8/20/2004 6:24 AM Frank Tompson said the following:
I have fallen in love with my Trek 7300 - I'm a simple soul. I have made a
few modifications, including 'upgrading' the 11-32 rear cassette to an 11-34
cassette. Where I live the mountain goats use crampons. I would like to
change my Shimano Nexave 8 speed 48-38-28 chainset to a 48-38-26. However, I
can't locate one. The nearest match I can find is the Shimano Deore, which
is a 9 speed. May seem a stupid question, but grateful if anyone could
confirm (or otherwise) that I cannot, indeed, use the 9 speed Deore for my
purpose. Does anyone know of a 48-38-26 8 speed, or do I need to upgrade
both ends of the operation (cassette and chainset) and buy a new chain?

VMT

I've become attached to my '85 Schwinn Traveler - talk about being simple...

I'll respond until you get someone who knows what they're talking about.
You can *usually* install higher rated components with no problem. I
imagine the only real difference between the two CS is the smaller ring
on the Deore. The construction quality is probably very close.

Having said that, have you looked into just replacing the one chainring
instead of the entire crankset?

http://www.bikeusa.com/components/ch...hainrings3.htm

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net
Old August 20th 04, 04:46 PM
meb

DJA Wrote:
[...]

Contrary to your stated desire to have someone tell you the Deore
speed won't work on with your 8 speed, I regret to inform you the mor
expensive Deore 9 speed will work. Spacing between rings is a ta
closer so there is a mild possibility you might need to adjust you
fder cable to accomodate the minutely smaller tolerance your shifter
would operate under with the closer rings.

BTW: Nashbar has lower prices on 26T Chainrings if you want to sav
some money:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...reid=&pagename

--
meb

Old August 20th 04, 05:29 PM
andres muro

"Frank Tompson" wrote in message ...
I have fallen in love with my Trek 7300 - I'm a simple soul. I have made a
few modifications, including 'upgrading' the 11-32 rear cassette to an 11-34
cassette. Where I live the mountain goats use crampons. I would like to
change my Shimano Nexave 8 speed 48-38-28 chainset to a 48-38-26. However, I
can't locate one. The nearest match I can find is the Shimano Deore, which
is a 9 speed. May seem a stupid question, but grateful if anyone could
confirm (or otherwise) that I cannot, indeed, use the 9 speed Deore for my
purpose. Does anyone know of a 48-38-26 8 speed, or do I need to upgrade
both ends of the operation (cassette and chainset) and buy a new chain?

You can use a nine speed chainset, 8 speed cassette with an 8 speed
chain. So, if you get the deore chainset, it'll be fine. However, why
don't you just get the chainwheel alone. If you can remove the 28
tooth chainwheel, replace it for a 26 and don't worry about the 8 or 9
speed denomination for the chainwheel. I am not sure of your chainset
model and it may be all welded together though.

Andres

Old August 21st 04, 03:57 PM

The 9 speed crank will work fine. Thats the way I went
till I got the rest of the parts, (9 speed chain,9 speed cassette,and 9
speed shifters) to finish up the upgrade to 9 speed. Also 9 speed
shifters work with 8 speed if you adjust the rear derailleur. And if
its a 8/9 speed rear derailleur.

I MTB 2004

Old August 22nd 04, 09:41 AM
Frank Tompson

Folks,

Many thanks to each for your kind help. Rhesus Monkey is correct in
suggesting that the Nexave crankset does not have removable rings, which is
why I unfortunately need to buy the complete unit . I hope the Deore comes
with removables, although I think this will be my final 'adjustment' (famous
last words I know!). But at least I have the solution so I'm happy.

Best regards to all,

Frank Tompson

Old August 27th 04, 03:46 PM
Ian Walker

On 20/8/04 11:24 am, a person known to the world as "Frank Tompson"
wrote:

I have fallen in love with my Trek 7300 - I'm a simple soul. I have made a
few modifications, including 'upgrading' the 11-32 rear cassette to an 11-34
cassette. Where I live the mountain goats use crampons. I would like to
change my Shimano Nexave 8 speed 48-38-28 chainset to a 48-38-26. However, I
can't locate one. The nearest match I can find is the Shimano Deore, which
is a 9 speed. May seem a stupid question, but grateful if anyone could
confirm (or otherwise) that I cannot, indeed, use the 9 speed Deore for my
purpose. Does anyone know of a 48-38-26 8 speed, or do I need to upgrade
both ends of the operation (cassette and chainset) and buy a new chain?

VMT

Hi Frank,

I modified a Campag 32-42-52 set to 26-39-46 just by swapping the chainrings
(it was a road bike triple on a touring bike, and so too high-geared). You
have to be careful about the range - that is, the difference in tooth number
between the smallest and largest (in your case, currently 20). The front
mech won't tolerate your widening the range too much, although you can
nearly always use a wider range than the one specified (so I'm certain that
changing the 28T chainring for a 26T and thereby making the range 22 would
be perfectly ok).

With a drop as large as mine, from 39T to 26, I had problems with the chain
falling off when I shifted down to granny gears, but an Ngage Jumpstop put
and end to that.

Ian Walker
--
As if you hadn't guessed, my email address is invalid to prevent spam. For
contact details (and a whole lot more!) see my website at