Taking a long tour

Old November 12th 05, 03:27 PM
Piccolo Pete

Default Taking a long tour

I live in Orlando Florida and am presently unemployed. The rest of my
family is in Ft. Lauderdale.

I've had a Penninger "Traveller" for several years now... seems I can ride
this thing all day long and feel no pain :-) So, I was thinking - why not
take a tour from Cocoa Beach down to Ft. Lauderdale on A1A? Nice time of
year for it.

Problem is... I've never done anything like this and I'm a bit nervous about
it. Not exactly sure what to bring. The trike can carry a lot of stuff and
I even have a large umbrella mount to keep me out of the sun and moderate
rain, but what else would be suggested? I'm probably going to put my CB
radio on it with some solar cells. Also want to bring my metal detector.
I'll need some clothes and a cooler, I guess. Maybe a first aid kit too...

Any other suggestions? Lot's of condoms? ;-)

Has anybody here done the A1A trip for real? I could use some pointers -
like for dangerous areas and tight stretches of lonely road.

Also... I'm wondering if there is any chance I might find a sponsor or at
least a charity I could support - any recommendations on that sort of thing
would be a help. Actually, any positive recommendations of any sort would
be a help.

I plan to leave sometime within the next 2 weeks...

P2

Old November 13th 05, 09:29 AM

Two sites to start your research:
http://www.kenkifer.com/
http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/index.htm
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/searc...cs&expand=auto
They all stress as little weight as possible. Cell phone for
emergencies. Two changes of cycling clothes, zero or one change of
lightweight street clothes. Rain clothes and sunscreen instead of
umbrella. Buy food and drink along the way. Local info just ask
pedestrians along the way.

Piccolo Pete wrote:
deleted So, I was thinking - why not take a tour from Cocoa Beach
down to
Ft. Lauderdale on A1A? Nice time of year for it.

Problem is... I've never done anything like this and I'm a bit nervous about
it. Not exactly sure what to bring. The trike can carry a lot of stuff and
I even have a large umbrella mount to keep me out of the sun and moderate
rain, but what else would be suggested? I'm probably going to put my CB
radio on it with some solar cells. Also want to bring my metal detector.
I'll need some clothes and a cooler, I guess. Maybe a first aid kit too...

deleted

Old November 13th 05, 10:02 AM

Oh, I forgot a couple that rode from Key West to New Foundland last
year,
http://www.utterfolly.com

Old November 13th 05, 10:41 PM
Piccolo Pete

Oh my gosh... that is one heck of a trip.

ups.com...

Old November 14th 05, 01:02 AM
Piccolo Pete

Yes... gonna run with a white nose (I already have a problem with skin
cancer on my nose).

Food could be a problem - maybe I'll bring a few hooks and lines with me and
toss them out as I use my metal detector on the beaches in the morning.
Um... also, as I recall, bunnies taste like chicken and have more nutrition
than I previously thought. There are also some occasional plants. I don't
have a lot of cash anymore. Lodging will be a problem - won't be the first
time I slept on/in my vehicle. An occasional rain might come in handy for
bathing ;-) But most public beaches have fresh water showers and rest
rooms....

This is a real trek with very few supplies and hardly any money. While I am
normally opposed to hunting animals - this situation is a matter of survival
and does not fall under the category of "sport". I have no fire arm, so, if
I do hunt, it will be by my own invention... If you don't want me to hunt
bunnies, then please send me a few bucks so I can at least eat some junk
food :-) Funny thing about that... why would someone have a problem with
bunnies when wonderfull animals such as cows are killed and eaten every day
by thousands of people with smiles on their faces - sometimes at as much as
$5 per ounce? Hehehe...

The trike can carry some stuff. I hardly notice extra weight (I had a
trailer with about 120 pounds on it and the weight didn't give me a big
problem at first - too bad I dumped it because of bad memories about who
actually sat in it...).

Thanks for the links.

So... main things... A few changes of clothes and some rags for cleaning.
Can pick up some soap and tp in public restrooms. A razor, knife, machete,
some small untensils, fishing line and hooks and weights, and one small pot
and one small pan, sun block, cb, batteries solar charger and solar cells,
fire source, cooler with a start of dried and canned food, some metal rods
for cooking, some plastic containers and a cup, metal detector.... I guess
that is about it.

I have a cell phone... doesn't help with traffic on a road with no sidewalks
and a lot of 18 wheelers so I need the CB.

Anyway... thanks again for the links.

P2

oups.com...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/searc...tocs&expand=au

Old November 14th 05, 01:58 AM
Rich

Piccolo Pete wrote:

This is a real trek with very few supplies and hardly any money. While I am
normally opposed to hunting animals - this situation is a matter of survival
and does not fall under the category of "sport". I have no fire arm, so, if
I do hunt, it will be by my own invention...

You're either going to have a great adventure .... or you're going to
die. But it'll make a great story either way, so please stop by some
places that have computer access and keep us posted!

Rich
Old November 14th 05, 03:41 PM
Osgood Z'beard

Piccolo Pete wrote:
[...]

Just for your information concealed carry is legal in Florida if you
have a permit, and the permit isn't tough to get. But you do have to
wait an inordinately long time. 120 days, I think. So you'll probably
have to stick with your stick/spear type weapon. You might be able to
bring a small weapon if it's locked in a case seperate from the ammo.
Kind of a hassle that way, and not much use in a self-defense situation.
And they don't make those rounds out of lightweight titanium either.

[...]

oups.com...

Old November 14th 05, 06:55 PM
gotbent

snip. Also want to bring my metal detector.
I'll need some clothes and a cooler, I guess. Maybe a first aid kit
too...

Any other suggestions? Lot's of condoms? ;-)

Has anybody here done the A1A trip for real? I could use some pointers -
like for dangerous areas and tight stretches of lonely road.

snip
I plan to leave sometime within the next 2 weeks...

P2

Don't forget the nylons and chocolate too.

And a few essential tools (pump, allen wrenches, screwdriver, etc, patch
kit, spare tubes, tire irons) too.

Old November 15th 05, 02:01 AM
Piccolo Pete

"Rich" wrote in message
Piccolo Pete wrote:

This is a real trek with very few supplies and hardly any money. While

I am
normally opposed to hunting animals - this situation is a matter of

survival
and does not fall under the category of "sport". I have no fire arm,

so, if
I do hunt, it will be by my own invention...

You're either going to have a great adventure .... or you're going to
die. But it'll make a great story either way, so please stop by some
places that have computer access and keep us posted!

Rich

Hahaha!!! I'm seriously going to try to avoid eating the little
furry/feathered creatures along the way - but death is not out of the
question. But I guess I can survive on eggs, tuna fish, triscuts, cereal,
protein powder, and vitamins. Death doesn't worry me near as much as having
my trike stolen or being mamed in some sort of attack/accident.

Just rode 20 miles today going from store to store to find a reasonable
stove - freaking bummed. The recent hurricanes wiped out the stores of
these things. I could only find one liquid fuel burner at $40. So, I
settled on a Coleman propane burner at about $18. I still have about a half
a little bottle of propane I found in a dumpster about 4 years ago. I knew
it would come in handy some day :-) Takes a little more space. I've
decided against the CB. Cell phone will have to do.

Yes, I do intend to stop by libraries from time to time to use the
internet - so I will report. I'm also carrying a digital camera and a
little recorder with a log book to transfer from the the recorder to the
book in the evenings. Too bad my laptop committed suicide a few months ago.

As I looked over some touring web sites, I see this is just a little skip
down the road for some folks. I'm actually feeling kind of embarrassed
about making such a big deal out of it :-) But for real, the Penninger is
slow and wider than two wheeled recumbents, so riding on a road without a
reasonable shoulder is a bit of concern to me.

P2

Old November 15th 05, 02:18 AM
Piccolo Pete

"Osgood Z'beard" wrote in message
Piccolo Pete wrote:
[...]

I was suprised to see this kind of response... But, anyway, I'm not allowed
to own a firearm thanks to the lies of certain paranoid individual.
Actually, her lies are why I'm in this brain dead and financially stressed
situation in the first place - but that is an entirely different chapter of
my story...

Anyway, I was thinking of a blow gun, small crossbow, CO2 gun, or a
paintball gun with marbles. But after thinking about it - I'm not going to
bother with that stuff unless I get desperate for a meal. For personal
protection, I think the machete is my best bet. I hope I never need it for
more than chopping up vegatation. Anything else would cause a bit of a
problem...

P2