Lupine Edison or Lumicycle HID?

Old December 21st 06, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Duncan Smith

Default Lupine Edison or Lumicycle HID?

I've narrowed my choice for a main night-light down to these two. I
have a strong preference for the Edison because I'm night blind and any
extra brightness is most welcome, and because of the longer battery
life - makes it more versatile, i.e. suitable for future uses other
than the commute to work.

The Edison (I think) comes in two choices of beam 18 and 10deg. The
Lumicycle however is 13 (offroad) and 10 (road). I'll be buying the
road angle, but is the Edison's too wide (it's getting on for the
Lumicycle's offroad angle)

How do people find the Edison for commuting, will it dazzle oncoming
traffic? My commute is along rural twisty roads.

I suppose the bulb will need replacing once a year or so, so parts
availability, cost and customer service could be factors too.

Many thanks,

Duncan.

Old December 21st 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Smith

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On 21 Dec 2006 01:30:53 -0800, Duncan Smith wrote:

I suppose the bulb will need replacing once a year or so, so parts
availability, cost and customer service could be factors too.

I've never heard anything but praise for Lumicycle customer service.

My own experience (from day 1, when I had a small problem with one of
the lights) has been exemplary.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old December 21st 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Duncan Smith wrote:
I've narrowed my choice for a main night-light down to these two. I
have a strong preference for the Edison because I'm night blind and any
extra brightness is most welcome, and because of the longer battery
life - makes it more versatile, i.e. suitable for future uses other
than the commute to work.

The Edison (I think) comes in two choices of beam 18 and 10deg. The
Lumicycle however is 13 (offroad) and 10 (road). I'll be buying the
road angle, but is the Edison's too wide (it's getting on for the
Lumicycle's offroad angle)

How do people find the Edison for commuting, will it dazzle oncoming
traffic? My commute is along rural twisty roads.

I suppose the bulb will need replacing once a year or so, so parts
availability, cost and customer service could be factors too.

Many thanks,

Duncan.

How can you go wrong with a ight named 'Edison'? Kinda like Merckx of
lites, no??

Old December 21st 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Duncan Smith wrote:
I've narrowed my choice for a main night-light down to these two. I
have a strong preference for the Edison because I'm night blind and any
extra brightness is most welcome, and because of the longer battery
life - makes it more versatile, i.e. suitable for future uses other
than the commute to work.

The Edison (I think) comes in two choices of beam 18 and 10deg. The
Lumicycle however is 13 (offroad) and 10 (road). I'll be buying the
road angle, but is the Edison's too wide (it's getting on for the
Lumicycle's offroad angle)

How do people find the Edison for commuting, will it dazzle oncoming
traffic? My commute is along rural twisty roads.

I've had mine for about four years. It's an in-cred-i-ble light. The
batteries last only something like 3-4yrs, so start saving for a
replacement.

Mine's bar-mounted, so ... if oncoming IS a problem (it really hasn't
been), I can nudge the beam down or switch to the low power setting.

The beam pattern is great. The burn time is epic. The overall quality
is superb. It's just g-d-awful expensive. That's all ;-)

Bought my wife a Passubio XC, too. Big fans of Lupine....

Old December 22nd 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
tallbloke

"Duncan Smith" wrote in
ups.com:

How do people find the Edison for commuting, will it dazzle oncoming
traffic?

What does it give? 25 watts?

I've ordered a couple of 50 watt small car foglights for attracting
attention...

--
tallbloke

Thomas Edison WeaselPoopPower Racing 0 August 29th 06 09:58 PM
Lumicycle / CTC Oaf UK 1 September 30th 05 05:28 PM
Lupine lights and cycle computers Sue White UK 4 December 8th 04 09:14 PM
Lupine ED10 front light anybody? Shaun Mountain Biking 10 October 25th 04 02:06 PM
Lumicycle Alan Moffatt UK 4 April 26th 04 08:54 AM