Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

Old February 7th 07, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Default Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

in message .com, Duncan
Smith ') wrote:

You can drive (or cycle) making sure you are under the limit by not
drinking any alcohol at all. Sitting in a car (or on a bike) not moving
at all to make sure you are under the speed limit is less practical,
so the two limits aren't really comparable.

I suppose motorists can carry out some quick calculations to decide
when it's legal to drive

If you've drunk no alcohol at all in the past 24 hours you're legal.
Otherwise, you're winging it.

;; If Python is executable pseudocode,
;; then Perl is executable line noise
-- seen on Slashdot.
Old February 7th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Don Whybrow" a écrit:

Interesting forks in this one:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/racingbates800.jpg

Were they bent like that to provide some shock absorption?

They were bent like that to provide *product differentiation*!

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...ers/bates.html

James Thomson

Old February 7th 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Tony Raven
') wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote on 07/02/2007 18:41 +0100:
On 07/02/2007 16:44, Tony Raven said,

And that principle applies to driving blood alcohol levels too?

I'm not sure what the connection is there. Cars have speedos partly
(solely????) to ensure that drivers can remain within the speed limit -
they can't claim that they didn't know they were speeding.

So if, accepting for the discussion, your postulate that you cannot
prosecute for speeding if you don't have a speedo to tell you your
speed, presumably they cannot prosecute you for drunk driving unless you
have a means for measuring your blood alcohol fitted also.

You do, it's called the mark one human taste bud. If the taste bud hasn't
detected alcohol in the past 24 hours, off you go. Otherwise, phone a
taxi.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.
Old February 7th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 07/02/2007 21:57, Ian Smith said,

There is no doubt whatsoever that speed limits do not apply to cycles,

Really? So on a local hill or three where I can easily reach 35mph in a
30 limit on my MTB I can't actually be done for speeding?

I would probably be charged with "cycling furiously" instead :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 7th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

Paul Boyd writes:

On 07/02/2007 21:57, Ian Smith said,

There is no doubt whatsoever that speed limits do not apply to
cycles,

Really? So on a local hill or three where I can easily reach 35mph
in a 30 limit on my MTB I can't actually be done for speeding?

I would probably be charged with "cycling furiously" instead :-)

Only if you were angry, m8! I think the big grin might give the game
away though.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old February 7th 07, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Paul Boyd wrote on 07/02/2007 22:35 +0100:
On 07/02/2007 21:57, Ian Smith said,

There is no doubt whatsoever that speed limits do not apply to cycles,

Really? So on a local hill or three where I can easily reach 35mph in a
30 limit on my MTB I can't actually be done for speeding?

If you are on the public highway, correct. The relevant legislation
applies specifically to motor vehicles.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old February 8th 07, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

Simon Brooke typed

No but there is a limit of 8mph on Hampstead Heath and something else in
Richmond Park.

Is that a local bye-law?

Yes

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 8th 07, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On 7 Feb 2007 13:51:06 -0800, "naked_draughtsman"
wrote:

I know an enhanced one allows the police to disclose relevant
information (rather than just convictions) but I think that is pushing
the limit as it was so long ago and you were never found guilty!

I was using a bit of poetic licence.

During an interview for a Catholic School, 10 years ago, I was asked
if I had any criminal convictions. I replied that I was once in court
accused of being drunk while cycling but found to have been sober.
Old February 8th 07, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-02-08 06:23:49 +0000, Tom Crispin

wrote:

I know an enhanced one allows the police to disclose relevant
information (rather than just convictions) but I think that is pushing
the limit as it was so long ago and you were never found guilty!

I was using a bit of poetic licence.

During an interview for a Catholic School, 10 years ago, I was asked
if I had any criminal convictions. I replied that I was once in court
accused of being drunk while cycling but found to have been sober.

Did you get the job?
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

I must try this on the local cycle path [email protected] Australia 3 September 6th 06 10:33 AM
Why do cyclists not use the cycle path? Tony Raven UK 30 August 13th 06 12:22 AM
The £100,000 cycle path you can't cycle on Mike Causer UK 13 June 11th 06 09:48 PM
cycle path/route along A9 ? redmist UK 5 May 9th 06 12:13 PM
If you're on this cycle path iakobski UK 21 October 20th 05 07:07 PM