Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

Old February 8th 07, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 06:42:28 GMT, Buck

On 2007-02-08 06:23:49 +0000, Tom Crispin
said:

On 7 Feb 2007 13:51:06 -0800, "naked_draughtsman"
wrote:

I know an enhanced one allows the police to disclose relevant
information (rather than just convictions) but I think that is pushing
the limit as it was so long ago and you were never found guilty!

I was using a bit of poetic licence.

During an interview for a Catholic School, 10 years ago, I was asked
if I had any criminal convictions. I replied that I was once in court
accused of being drunk while cycling but found to have been sober.

Did you get the job?

No. And glad of it. I am not a fan of sectarian schools.

My comments had nothing (probably) to do with me not getting the job.
The clincher was my answer to the question, "If we offered you this
job, would you accept it?" Which begged the follow up question, "Why
the f*&$ did you bother applying in the first place?"

I have since met Monsigor Rothom at a council meeting - about young
people and cycling - but I don't think that he remembered me.
Old February 8th 07, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Simon Brooke said the following on 07/02/2007 22:17:

If you've drunk no alcohol at all in the past 24 hours you're legal.
Otherwise, you're winging it.

I'm amazed at the way this thread has turned! Some people seem to have
difficulty in understanding the fact that a human does not have built-in
speed measurement devices so we need speedos, but we do have built-in
alcohol measuring devices, so we don't need breathalysers.

I'm with you on the no alcohol in 24 hours "rule". I don't need to
breathalyse myself before getting into a car if I haven't touched
alcohol for 24 hours.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 8th 07, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Don Whybrow said the following on 07/02/2007 21:28:

Interesting forks in this one:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/racingbates800.jpg

Is it just me, or is that a very strange riding position?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 8th 07, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-02-08 07:58:58 +0000, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet said:

Don Whybrow said the following on 07/02/2007 21:28:

Interesting forks in this one:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/racingbates800.jpg

Is it just me, or is that a very strange riding position?

Yes very strange, why is he all hunched up like that and why are his feet
underneath him?
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Old February 8th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Ian Smith tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
On Wed, 07 Feb, Don Whybrow wrote:

Interesting forks in this one:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/racingbates800.jpg

Were they bent like that to provide some shock absorption?

I've always assumed that things like this (and, for example, Hetchins
curly stays) were actually produced solely to have a distinguishing
feature, and passed off as some super scientific development that
provides shock absorption (or whatever).

Yep. Back in those days, builders were forbidden from using time-trial
results for advertising purposes, so a lot of them built stuff that was
instantly recognisable by the cognoscenti, such as the Bates in question,
the Hetchins "Curly" and the truly appalling (from an engineering
standpoint) Paris Galibier:

http://www.bicycle-gifts.com/jpg/vp1d.jpg

Which some genius resurrected as a mountain bike design and then wondered
why the bottom bracket wobbled about.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old February 8th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LSMike

On Feb 7, 8:32 pm, "GeoffC" wrote:
LSMike wrote:
On Feb 7, 5:23 pm, "GeoffC" wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Mixing with pedestrians at 10mph is not personally recommended.

You just need a good bell :-)

I do see the smiley, but really, that's as bad as an impatient moton
wanting a cyclist off "his" road.

Nope, I disagree. You can hear a car coming up behind you but a bike is as
good as silent. If I am walking along a cycle path I would rather be warned
by a gentle "ding " than surprised by the slipstream of a passing bike.

LOL, very true. That's not what you initially implied, however, which
was that speeds of 10mph amongst pedestrians is fine if you use a
bell to force them to move out the way.

Old February 8th 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Simon Brooke typed

No but there is a limit of 8mph on Hampstead Heath and something
else in Richmond Park.

Is that a local bye-law?

Yes

The road limit in RP is 20 for ALL vehicles.

The limit on the Tamsin Trail is 10mph - imposed at the behest of the
Friends of Richmond Park when the failed to have cyclists banned from the
trail despite its having been funded by a bequest specifically as a cycle
trail.

The "community Support officers" have been out recently stopping everyone on
the trail (walkers, runners, cyclists) and reminding them that it is a
*shared* trail and all should be courteous - pedestrian priority does not
mean it is legitimate for pedestrians to deliberately block cyclists'
passage as some do.

pk

Old February 8th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-02-08 08:53:18 +0000, "p.k." said:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Simon Brooke typed

No but there is a limit of 8mph on Hampstead Heath and something
else in Richmond Park.

Is that a local bye-law?

Yes

The road limit in RP is 20 for ALL vehicles.

The limit on the Tamsin Trail is 10mph - imposed at the behest of the
Friends of Richmond Park when the failed to have cyclists banned from
the trail despite its having been funded by a bequest specifically as a
cycle trail.

The "community Support officers" have been out recently stopping
everyone on the trail (walkers, runners, cyclists) and reminding them
that it is a *shared* trail and all should be courteous - pedestrian
priority does not mean it is legitimate for pedestrians to deliberately
block cyclists' passage as some do.

pk

Good information, thanks.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

I must try this on the local cycle path [email protected] Australia 3 September 6th 06 10:33 AM
Why do cyclists not use the cycle path? Tony Raven UK 30 August 13th 06 12:22 AM
The £100,000 cycle path you can't cycle on Mike Causer UK 13 June 11th 06 09:48 PM
cycle path/route along A9 ? redmist UK 5 May 9th 06 12:13 PM
If you're on this cycle path iakobski UK 21 October 20th 05 07:07 PM