If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider inSacramento area

Old April 7th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

Default If you know him, you should call... severely injured rider inSacramento area

On Apr 7, 8:13*am, landotter wrote:
It's easy to forget if you're wearing a monkey suit and riding lite. I
used to ride with only my phone which has emergency info. Now I rubber
band my driver's license to it. I've signed off of the back in case
anyone needs some spare knees and kidneys.

That's a very good reason to keep your DL with you.. I often ride with
just my phone (which I recognize could be damaged) which has my name
on the main screen and has numbered entered both as ICE -- and through
the phone's official emergency contact interface, which shows up in
red at the top of the contact list.

My concern is that even when I have that stuff it'd be hard to find --
I'm often riding with three panniers {laptop, clothes, lunch
containers, batteries, lights, multitools, etc} and a handlebar bag,
the wallet wrapped in my clothes inside of a cloth bag in a front
pannier.
Old April 8th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"dgk" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:21:38 -0700 (PDT), Rex Kerr
wrote:

I was just riding home a few minutes ago and came across a rider who
had fallen. He was riding on the American River bike trail between
Sunrise and Hazel. Late 30s/Early 40s, balding, riding an Eddie Mercx
road bike. I came along shortly after he fell, before the paramedics
came. A lady was doing chest compressions. When the paramedics
arrived they continued compressions and used their portable
defibrillator, but they looked less than convinced that it was
working.

The paramedics could not find any kind of identification. If you
think you know him perhaps you should call.

PS: If you were one of the other riders there, shame on you for
calling him names like "idiot" for his choice to not wear a helmet.
You should, instead, have been thinking about how you should update
your CPR training, etc... it was disgusting to listen to.

Wrong place for helmet arg for sure - but going without any ID? That I
don't understand.

I don't leave the house without 5 things in a plastic baggie in one of
my jersey pockets.

$5 (or so)
My Kaiser health card
Credit card
Driver's license
Cell phone

It's crazy to think you could lie injured someplace and nobody would be
able to figure out who you were. Now that I think about it, the driver's
license may be the best place to have your in-case-of-emergency info.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 8th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't usually carry any of those things. Call me reckless, but I don't
anticipate requiring medical or mechanical services. In many years and
many miles of cycling I haven't, either. Not once.
Old April 8th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:57:17 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But what's the down side? Back before everyone had a cell phone I came
across a guy who had just had an accident and was seriously injured.
Someone came along a minute later and had a cell phone and was able to
call for help. I couldn't do anything.

Since I've had a cell phone, I've called in a broken water main and a
fire in a wooded area. Plus, people can (and do) reach me if I'm need
for something.

Someday (hopefully not) you might have a heart attack while biking
along. Wouldn't some ID help out? And, if you have any kind of medical
condition, it's just stupid not to have a med-alert type of thing.
Old April 8th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

I don't usually carry any of those things. Call me reckless, but I don't
anticipate requiring medical or mechanical services. In many years and
many miles of cycling I haven't, either. Not once.

But what's the down side? Back before everyone had a cell phone I came
across a guy who had just had an accident and was seriously injured.
Someone came along a minute later and had a cell phone and was able to
call for help. I couldn't do anything.

Since I've had a cell phone, I've called in a broken water main and a
fire in a wooded area. Plus, people can (and do) reach me if I'm need
for something.

Someday (hopefully not) you might have a heart attack while biking
along. Wouldn't some ID help out?

To me, this illustrates the real difficulty people have dealing with
an infinitesmal chance of a horrendous problem. "What if the wings
fall off the airliner I'm taking to my vacation?? I'd better update
my will!"

I've always got ID, but it's not because of potential tragedy. It's
because it's in my wallet, and I carry my wallet because I might want
to buy something. I suppose a cell phone might be similarly
convenient, but if I carried one, I'd be thinking more in terms of
wanting to phone somebody, not staving off some emergency.

There are over 3000 years of full-time riding between cyclist
fatalities. How close to "zero risk" do we need to be?

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 8th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

Hey, if you feel good citizenship requires a cell phone, be my guest, I
don't see that as having anything to do with cycling.

Someday (hopefully not) you might have a heart attack while biking
along. Wouldn't some ID help out?

How?

And, if you have any kind of medical
condition, it's just stupid not to have a med-alert type of thing.

I suppose if I had such a conditions I'd wear one of those bracelets all
the time, but I don't.
Old April 8th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

My bike club does a weekly ride, typically 50-100 riders, 30-40 miles.
The style is fast pace line riding. The ride has been going for over 10
years (all weather). If anything, the accident rate should be relatively
high for that style. The accident rate has been near zero. No EMTs, no
ambulances, no hospitalizations, certainly no fatalities, just a few
falls (in over 750K rider-miles). I've never needed a cell phone,
toolkit, or emergency medical supplies. Just spare tubes or patch kit
and a pump. A couple of bucks to buy a coffee afterwards. I don't expect
to crash or have my bike break down. Neither has happened. I'm not at
all surprised.
Old April 8th 09, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Faster probate if you don't survive?

John Kane Kingston On Canada
Old April 8th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Peter Cole" wrote: "How?"
biking along. Wouldn't some ID help out?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Might as well talk to the wall.

Old April 8th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2009-04-08, Peter Cole wrote:

I don't usually carry any of those things. Call me reckless, but I don't
anticipate requiring medical or mechanical services. In many years and
many miles of cycling I haven't, either. Not once.

By definition, accidents are not things you can anticipate.

Working in a hospital, I can tell you that an unidentified patient is a
serious concern. We have no way of knowing past medical history,
allergies, current medictions, next of kin, and so on.

If you're not concerned about your own fate, at least have some respect
for the people who may have to clean up after you go down.

--

John )