Titanium vs. aluminium

Old August 12th 04, 05:43 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Titanium vs. aluminium

On 12 Aug 2004 16:14:33 GMT, "Arthur Clune"
wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:
: Speaking of "cranks" and "triple", don't even consider a triple
: crank, especially if you live or ride near any hills. Get a bike
: with a 39-52 crank and a 13-22 cassette.

Don't you mean 42-55 and 11-19?

Nope. Never seen that. It's what I'd use if I only ever went
downhill, I suppose. Also, it's only 9s; in this context, nothing
less than 10s is acceptable.

Not ultra-tall gearing, just ultra-close-ratio. Of course, I can't
imagine what close-ratio-"I can only pedal within 2 rpm of my
optimum cadence"-people do when they get to hills and run out of
gears. Maybe their CF frame and ultra-low handlebars float up the
hill, and they don't bother trying for a new top speed down...
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Doug Huffman

Corrosion/rust on titanium is quite unlikely.

"Derk" wrote in message
| Rick Onanian wrote:
|
| On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:39:39 +0200, Derk
| wrote:
| You _discarded_ a titanium frame because of bad welds? I wish I had
| been in your neighborhood on trash day...
| Not just bad welds: it looks like the welds have rust all over them.
Several

Old August 12th 04, 07:20 PM
Derk

Doug Huffman wrote:

Corrosion/rust on titanium is quite unlikely.

I know, but it shows some odd discolouring. I saw how this got worse over
the period of about 2 years. Something must be wrong here.

The frame was welded in the open air in Russia. I heard of more examples of
frames that had problems.

Anyway, Titanium is advertised as being a material that is ageless and will
be around forever. I paid good money for teh frame and I compared it to 2
other titanium frames I have here (Merckx and Colnago).These frames look
perfect, so why should I accept welds that look like they're rusty?

Greets, Derk

Old August 12th 04, 11:01 PM
Doug Huffman

I, not a welder but dependent on good welds, am of the impression/opinion
that Ti must be welded in an inert atmosphere.

Old August 13th 04, 05:29 AM
Derk

Doug Huffman wrote:

I, not a welder but dependent on good welds, am of the impression/opinion
that Ti must be welded in an inert atmosphere.

Exactly, I read in TOUR Magazin that the Russians claim they have welded all
their spacecraft and subs this way, so according to them there's no problem
with welding with a flame surrounded by some gas other than oxygen.
Pilorget from France, on the other hand, I read, said even some strict
french norms about flooding an airtight welding space were not strict
enough. I guess he really knows what he's doing.

I really recommend inspecting welds before buying any cheapo titanium frame.
Or get yourself possibly into a lot of trouble with guarantee claims.

Greets, Derk
Old August 13th 04, 12:45 PM
Doug Huffman

Please read about welding, especially Ti, in a 'welding' magazine. Cyclists
are poor engineers. I doubt even Russians can weld Ti with a 'flame'.