two odd wheel-building techniques

Old August 25th 04, 04:17 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I have found this tool useful for salvaging spokes when the nipple was
rounded to near-death. Yes, I am so cheap it pleases me to save
individual spokes. Yes, I understand this is a pathology, not a virtue.

You don't really throw out the spoke if the nipple is destroyed, do you?
If you do, then I'm even cheaper than you ;P

What, precisely, do you think "salvage" means?

Ah, for some reason I was under the impression that you were trying to keep
using the nipple, too; in these cases I would just remove it with a screw
driver, or with a pair of vice-grips if the spoke protruded past the
screwdriver slot in the nipple.

I suppose I was confused because I can't see why anyone would *not* keep
the spoke, cheap or no.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Hey! I'm only fourteen, sickly 'n' thin
Tried all of my life just to grow me a chin
It popped out once, but my dad pushed it in. -- FZ
Old August 26th 04, 02:15 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:53:11 +0100 "Trevor Jeffrey"
wrote:

Jim Adney wrote in message ...
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 04:03:53 +0100 "Trevor Jeffrey"
wrote:

Please explain how a spoke subjected to a rocking motion eventually fails
due to fatigue, preferably in ten words.

One end is fixed. The other end rocks. The part in-between flexes and
can eventually fail.

Sorry, 17 words.

Due to fatigue?

Yes. Isn't that the definition of fatigue?

Failure due to repetitive deformation within the elastic limits.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old August 26th 04, 03:08 PM
Trevor

wrote:

Please explain how a spoke subjected to a rocking motion eventually

fails
due to fatigue, preferably in ten words.

One end is fixed. The other end rocks. The part in-between flexes and
can eventually fail.

Sorry, 17 words.

Due to fatigue?

Yes. Isn't that the definition of fatigue?

Failure due to repetitive deformation within the elastic limits.

No this is too exacting. The mechanics definition is : Failure of a
material by cracking resulting from repeated or cyclic stress. Taken from
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Engineering. Other definitions exist which are
more vague. (properties reduced due to stress). The cited text is how I
understand fatigue.

Trevor