What produces this noise?

Old August 23rd 04, 06:04 PM
Derk

Default What produces this noise?

Hi,

When riding my new bike, I hear a sound as if you hit a spoke gently with
another spoke that you hold in your hands. I only hear it when accelerating
or when I'm out of the saddle sprinting.

I would say it's either the chain or the D-A 9S bottom bracket.

Does anyone recognize this sound?

TIA! Derk
Old August 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Derk wrote:

Hi,

When riding my new bike, I hear a sound as if you hit a spoke gently with
another spoke that you hold in your hands. I only hear it when accelerating
or when I'm out of the saddle sprinting.

I would say it's either the chain or the D-A 9S bottom bracket.

Does anyone recognize this sound?

I had precisely this yesterday. It was a single loose spoke chafing at
the crossing point with the adjacent spoke, and the noise came and went
depending on whether I was pedalling hard or leaning to one side.

How one spoke came loose but the wheel stayed true, I'll never know.
Old August 23rd 04, 06:48 PM
Dave Stallard

Derk wrote:

Hi,

When riding my new bike, I hear a sound as if you hit a spoke gently with
another spoke that you hold in your hands. I only hear it when accelerating
or when I'm out of the saddle sprinting.

I would say it's either the chain or the D-A 9S bottom bracket.

Does anyone recognize this sound?

We need a new group: rec.bicycles.tech.binaries.audio

Dave
Old August 23rd 04, 06:54 PM
Derk

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I had precisely this yesterday. It was a single loose spoke chafing at
the crossing point with the adjacent spoke, and the noise came and went
depending on whether I was pedalling hard or leaning to one side.

I ruled that out, because I have Ksyrium SSC-SL wheels, so the spokes don't
touch.

Interesting thing today: an amateur rider brought his Ksyrium wheel to my
LBS where I come too often, but that aside: one of the spokes just came out
of the hub side. Nothing broke, though. A sales rep from Mavic was there
too and said this sometimes happens when people make very abrupt moves
during races.

How one spoke came loose but the wheel stayed true, I'll never know.

That's strange indeed!

Greets, Derk
Old August 23rd 04, 06:55 PM
Derk

Marty wrote:

What kind of wheels?

Ksyrium SSC-SL.

1. Noise seemed to be from the bearings in the rear hub due to what
seemed to be a lack of grease in the hub

The hub was serviced a week ago.

Greets, Derk
Old August 23rd 04, 06:57 PM
Derk

John Rees wrote:

Could be the magnet for you computer, if you have one.

Thanks, but it's quite far already. It seems to be coming either from the
bottom bracket, chain or rear part of the bike.

Greets, Derk

Old August 23rd 04, 07:07 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:48:04 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

Derk wrote:

Hi,

When riding my new bike, I hear a sound as if you hit a spoke gently with
another spoke that you hold in your hands. I only hear it when accelerating
or when I'm out of the saddle sprinting.

I would say it's either the chain or the D-A 9S bottom bracket.

Does anyone recognize this sound?

We need a new group: rec.bicycles.tech.binaries.audio

Dave

Dear Dave,

Mystery noises are popular threads here, judging by a quick,
careless google of the archives:

"noise" -- 7,640 posts
"sound" -- 10,100 posts
"click" -- 4,760 posts
"creak*" -- 1,680 posts

The occasional faint noise troubling Derk might be a magnet
set too close to a pickup, as another poster has already
suggested. I hear a noise like that sometimes and find that
fiddling the sensor attached by nylon ties to the fork leg
usually makes it go away. In my case, no sprinting or
accelerating is involved, just leaning into corners.

Carl Fogel
Old August 23rd 04, 07:27 PM

someone writes:

When riding my new bike, I hear a sound as if you hit a spoke
gently with another spoke that you hold in your hands. I only hear
it when accelerating or when I'm out of the saddle sprinting.

I would say it's either the chain or the D-A 9S bottom bracket.

Does anyone recognize this sound?

I had precisely this yesterday. It was a single loose spoke chafing
at the crossing point with the adjacent spoke, and the noise came
and went depending on whether I was pedalling hard or leaning to one
side.

How one spoke came loose but the wheel stayed true, I'll never know.

The rest of the spokes aren't tight either or the natural trueness of
a new rim would have been lost. You've got an extremely loose wheel.

Can't we just try pedaling instead of pedallling?

Jobst Brandt

Old August 23rd 04, 08:29 PM

Chain or BB. Had the same problem, checked the BB fine.
Checked the chain it had stretched way out there. 12 inches was 12 1/4
pin to pin. Changed the chain no funny sounds or that dame vibration
felt in your feet.

I MTB 2004

Ultegra hub noise Andrew Karre Techniques 6 September 21st 04 06:55 AM
strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM