Bye Bye!

Old February 14th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Bye Bye!

The matter of speed is so important to so many people; it amuses me!
In a pile of photos- I came across a picture of an early 1980s bike/
trike speed record. Over 60 - but WHY? I also saw a pic of a cartoon
of a snail losing to a bent. I just don't get it. Aside from humor,
what is the importance?

Old February 14th 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Bentracer and Bentrider

On Feb 14, 11:56 am, wrote:
The matter of speed is so important to so many people; it amuses me!
In a pile of photos- I came across a picture of an early 1980s bike/
trike speed record. Over 60 - but WHY? I also saw a pic of a cartoon
of a snail losing to a bent. I just don't get it. Aside from humor,
what is the importance?

Hey, speed is great, BTW i want to beat up on you, need to win some
more $$$$$

Old February 14th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

gotbent wrote:

Jock mentality/ego stroking. The fastest guy gets the chix. It is hilarious
though. There are probably twenty to thirty fairly fast bent racers in the
world and they for the most part couldn't beat their DF counterparts with a
stick. So the speed thing is all mostly head tripping bull****. Some of the
best bent racers are still hobby racers. They have jobs and families and NO
PROFESSIONAL contracts for international quality races.

I don't care about racing, but point me down a big hill on a 'bent
and I'll do my best to spin it out because it's *fun*.

There isn't a pro HPV circuit AFAICT, so it's hardly surprising
nobody's got contracts to do it. As for "couldn't beat their DF
counterparts with a stick", that would depend what sort of race it
was. A track based race with fairings on the 'bents would mean the
pros on the DFs getting a bloody good hiding, for example. IIRC
Rob English took the GB national pursuit squad, working together,
to the cleaners on the unfaired Kingcycle Hachi at Manchester
Velodrome, and the HPV hour record is about 30% than the UCI one,
even the better one without the even more braindead restrictions.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
gotbent wrote:

[...]

How about one of the spring classics? Rain, mud and cobbles. How about a
cyclocross? Don't think the Hachi would do too well there, although Rob
might do OK on a 'cross bike. But overall the Hans' and Robs are few and far
between. If the world of fast pro and semi-pro racers were a SI swimsuit
model, bent racers might barely amount to a pimple on her ass. So when the
swagger starts on places like ARBR and BROL it's a mostly a bunch of
wannabe's blowing smoke out of their asses.

BTW, if you really like speed, point yourself UP the hill and try to spin it
out without Sir Issac helping.

Old February 15th 07, 04:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Bentracer and Bentrider" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 14, 11:56 am, wrote:
The matter of speed is so important to so many people; it amuses me!
In a pile of photos- I came across a picture of an early 1980s bike/
trike speed record. Over 60 - but WHY? I also saw a pic of a cartoon
of a snail losing to a bent. I just don't get it. Aside from humor,
what is the importance?

Hey, speed is great, BTW i want to beat up on you, need to win some
more $$$$$

Christ, aren't you dead yet you old fool?

It just goes to show that if you are tough and dumb you will live forever.
The main thing is never to engage your brain. That will take years off of
your life.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka