fender mounting

Old August 31st 04, 04:40 PM
Lee

I don't have a Chorus brake handy, but it looks like the Shimano brake on
the bike now has more clearance than the Record brakes on my other bike.
(I'm planning on installing Chorus brakes on this bike).

Can anyone confirm this?

Lee

Old August 31st 04, 06:11 PM
Steve Kirkendall

Lee wrote:

I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found
that I have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.

Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12
miles on suburban/rural streets.

What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?

[And in a later message]
Looked kinda hoakey with the fender looped over the brake bridge and
caliper.

I have the same problem with my late-80s Centurion. I have clip-on
fenders, and the rear had to go above the brake caliper. The rear
fender comes in two pieces: the fender itself which has a clip at the
front which is attaches to the seatpost tube, and a separate piece
which clips onto the brake bridge -- then the fender attaches to the
clip. I simply installed the clip upside-down, so it grabs the fender
above the brake bridge instead of below it.

It works surprisingly well. I don't think it looks particularly hokey,
but if looks ever matter, I can unclip it in 5 seconds.

I also had clearance issues with the front fender. The fender iself
had sufficient clearance, but the mounting post (which is supposed
to be inserted up the neck, and grab the brake caliper's bolt) stuck
out too far. So I omitted the post, and just used some wire to
attach the fender to the fork. It works okay.

Old September 1st 04, 10:36 PM
KD

Lee wrote:

I'm mounting a set of ESGE fenders on my commuting bike and I found
that I have almost zero clearance under the brake bridge.

Bike is a mid-80s Miyata 912, otherwise perfect for commuting the 12
miles on suburban/rural streets.

What's the alternative mounting method? Over the brake?

River City Bicycles in Portland, OR makes 'reacharounds'; mounting
brackets designed to mount over the brakes:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pro...roducts_id=613

They also make very sweet (and expensive) wood fenders:

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pro...roducts_id=505

No connection, blah, blah, blah.

Ken